What is the best last song of any album?
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #46 of 70
Lots of good suggestions.

I wouldn't call it the BEST song, but one of the perfect endings to an album that I can think of is "Find The River" on Automatic for the People by REM.

Great way to cap an hour of listening.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #47 of 70
Queensryche - Empire - "Anybody Listening?" The cheese will melt out from your DAC. It's freeze-dried mozzarella from the 80s, and still absolutely delicious.

Monster Magnet - Superjudge - "Black balloon" Great ender. Like the rest of album is being woken up from.

Pinkard and Bowden - Live in Front of a Bunch of D ckh ds - "She Dances with Meat" As you're off to end, and still getting down off the, "I was a froggy," high, it comes around and smacks you like a thawed pork loin.

Roy Buchannan - Live Stock - "I'm Evil"
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you've put your finger on the difference between listening -- really listening -- to an artist, and using that artist as a lifestyle accessory. I can't really blame people, because music does naturally evoke the life experiences that went with listening to it. But I do believe that true artists have to be allowed to do what they want. There is a big difference between entertainment and art; great art isn't always entertaining, and great entertainment isn't always art. (Of course there are performers who are both great artists and great entertainers.)

Agreed. You've helped me interpret and undertsand better what I was trying to convey and sort of get my head round as I was putting it across lol! I think it came across as a bit of a rant- likely a reflection of my mood etc when typing the response- but I also can understand and acknowledge why people may get so attatched to a style/approach of an artist and, thus, why they might find it so difficult to accept when an artist deviates from that and/or moves on from it and leaves it behind them (at least, if not altogether, tempoarily or predominantly). As you rightly point out, its their whole personal cosmos in their life surrounding that music, interlaced and connected with it, that they come to associate with it, that maybe they want sustained or don't want to let go of or to end. Maybe its just me, but that doesn't upset me or threaten me as I'm all open to change, exploring new directions and ideas and of growing, expanding and evolving, personally, and secondly, I accept that this is the artist's material and career etc, and that it's their call to go where they want to artistically, his/her journey. IMO, you need to give an artist that freedom (in your own mind).

Quote:

Jimi Hendrix complained near the end of his life that he was sick of trying to live up to the expectations that he had created, and was looking for a new direction. In one interview he said something along the lines of being so sick of "Foxy Lady" that he felt like he would die if he had to play it one more time. We will never know where he would have taken his music, of course, but I'm sure it would have been somewhere amazing.

Dylan has never stayed still. That's why he is still relevant after all these decades, while most of his contemporaries have turned into highly-paid nostalgia acts. I think he would stop performing if he thought that was happening to him.

Thanks for that blurb there.
wink.gif
However, I am a massive fan of Hendrix and know about his life and career etc in detail after reading a biography on him [I think, if I recall correctly, written by an affiliate of Hendrix's called Mcdermott (forget first name)]. The guy has also assumed a lot of responsibility in keeping Hendrix's reputation in check and from being falsely blown out of proportion or mythisied or fabricated, posthumously, and has also played key roles in organising and managing the release of posthumous Hendrix material with Eddie Kramer. So, yes, I knew about the stress and displeasure Hendrix was feeling towards the reputation he had created in the early part of his career and of which he felt pressure to upkeep. I believe he started to feel the same way about his stage performance and the expectancy for him to be flamboyant and play with his teeth and behind his head and produce all the gyrations etc. A similar thing to the Who and their ritual of destroying their equipment at the end of shows that they then later wanted to abandon but the audience had come to expect and still demanded of them. Yes, thats one of my great melancolic ponderings! What could have Hendrix produced and given the world if only he hadn't died? Although the 2/3's-3/4's (posthumous) 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun' was excellent for the most part, fresh, dynamic, exciting, with depth, it did feel unpolished and, particulary in places, a little skeletal and disjointed. I wonder what that album would of been like and how it would of been recieved if Hendrix had lived to complete it, organise and present it as he wished/saw (obviously, this responsibility was assumed by Kramer, Mcdermott and co. when packaging it for release after Hendrix' death)?

You're right about Dylan, and I think that is such a testament to they guy, as an artist and as an individual. I highly repect that. It's great to see someone taking control of their career like that!

Quote:

Great! Wrecking Ball is a spectacular representation of her talent, and a great place to start. Much of her other material is alt-country or rockabilly-flavored. Very early in her career, she also sang a series of duets with the legendary Gram Parsons, a true wild man and pioneering artist. I've never heard that stuff; it's a really big hole in my listening, and I should do something about it.

I'm giving that stuff a taste also with 'Pieces of the Sky'. I'll feedback on both and let you know what I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #49 of 70
Oh also I just listened to Zombie Love by Phathom, and the last song to that album is great, Coda.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #50 of 70
Some more I've thought of and/or come across:

Manic treet Preachers/The Holy Bible- PCP

Radiohead/Pablo Honey- Blowout

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #52 of 70
Prince - Adore - Sign'O'The Times

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiohead/OK Computer- The Tourist

Not even Radiohead's best last song, IMO
I prefer Street Spirit (Fade Out) off of The Bends.
Also, True Love Waits off of I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings.
Another song I'd list would be Nine Inch Nails - Hurt off of The Downward Spiral.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Wake Up" from Rage Against the Machine (self titled album).

While that's a good song, the last track on that album is actually Freedom, which ain't a half bad finisher in it's own right.

Here's five by me, since I couldn't pick just one.
biggrin.gif

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - Hurt
Genesis - Foxtrot - Supper's Ready
Tool - Aenima - Third Eye
Peter Gabriel - US - Secret World
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf - Song for the Deaf

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even Radiohead's best last song, IMO
I prefer Street Spirit (Fade Out) off of The Bends.

Well I'll be able to my own judge of that soon as I just ordered 'The Bends' in my latest batch of CD's (I'm relatively new to Radiohead).
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

The guy has also assumed a lot of responsibility in keeping Hendrix's reputation in check and from being falsely blown out of proportion or mythisied or fabricated...

What do you think of the sale this week of what is claimed to be the first strat that Hendrix burned on stage?

The guitar was reportedly torched at a London Club in 1967, during the set in which he also supposedly played "Purple Haze" for the first time in front of an audience. Somebody described as a figure in the US music industry bought the instrument for $500,000.

To tell you the truth, I had never heard of this instrument. I was under the impression that the guitar that he burned at the Monterey Pop Festival was the only one he had burned on stage. The BBC reported that the Monterey instrument had been destroyed, and that the one sold this week is the only remaining example. That directly contradicts what I have heard many times, which is that Frank Zappa owned and would occassionally play the guitar that Hendrix had burned at Monterey.

What an interesting coincidence that we were having this discussion as all of this was happening.

Quote:

I believe he started to feel the same way about his stage performance and the expectancy for him to be flamboyant and play with his teeth and behind his head and produce all the gyrations etc. A similar thing to the Who and their ritual of destroying their equipment at the end of shows that they then later wanted to abandon but the audience had come to expect and still demanded of them.

Definitely. I think he felt trapped by the onstage flamboyance after a while, and wanted to move on from it.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

What do you think of the sale this week of what is claimed to be the first strat that Hendrix burned on stage?

The guitar was reportedly torched at a London Club in 1967, during the set in which he also supposedly played "Purple Haze" for the first time in front of an audience. Somebody described as a figure in the US music industry bought the instrument for $500,000.

To tell you the truth, I had never heard of this instrument. I was under the impression that the guitar that he burned at the Monterey Pop Festival was the only one he had burned on stage. The BBC reported that the Monterey instrument had been destroyed, and that the one sold this week is the only remaining example. That directly contradicts what I have heard many times, which is that Frank Zappa owned and would occassionally play the guitar that Hendrix had burned at Monterey.

What an interesting coincidence that we were having this discussion as all of this was happening

It is indeed a conicedence isn't it! This is the first I have heard of this but it's definately intriguing! I read that biography a good 3 or 4 years ago now so little details like this can be foggy and in this case the facts don't stick out in my memory; it hasn't even jumped back out at me (yet), despite the prompting from the information you've given me that would ordinarily, as a common mechanism, trigger it. I couldn't clarify this for you, right now. However, again a little hazy so don't quote me, but I seem to recall that the performance at Monterey was a masive opportunity for Hendrix and big gig and chance to shine and make a mark. This realisation, coupled with going on after The Who, who were also well renowned for their physical on-stage performance, antics and showmanship, was why Hendrix premendatively decided to burn his guitar to cap off his set and performance. Therefore, it sticks with me, that this was the first time he burned any guitar on-stage. However, whether this is me falsely extrapolitating events due to the information you've given me, or i actually loose threads of memory being awoken I don't know, but I seem to remember a vague scenario of Hendrix attempting to burn a guitar on-stage before Monterey, but it didn't really take, ie he burned and damaged the guitar, but didn't destroy it. Interesting though. I'll have to revise my knowledge of that!

On the monterey guitar that was scorched, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Hendrix physically destroy that guitar as he was burning it ie bashing and smahing it to pieces? I thought this is what went down and then he through shards of the destroyed guitar into the crowd? Therefore, although I havn't personally heard this story anyway regarding Zappa and that guitar, I don't think it would of been physicallt possible for Frank to have played that instruement, if he became an owner of it (or a part of it)!
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #59 of 70
Black Sabbath - Master of reality - Into the Void
Nile - Annihilation of the wicked - Von unaussprechlichen kulten
Rainbow - Rising - Stargazer/ A light in the black
Rush - Hemishperes - La villa strangiato

yes, i have rather broad musical tastes
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Sabbath - Master of reality - Into the Void