What is the best last song of any album?
Aug 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 70
Wilco/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- Reservations

Radiohead/OK Computer- The Tourist

Bob Dylan/Shot Of Love- Every Grain Of Sand

Bob Dylan/Blonde On Blonde- Sad-Eyed Lady Of the Lowlands

Guns'N'Roses/Appetite For Destruction- Rocket Queen

Leonard Cohen/I'm Your Man- Tower Of Song

Red Hot Chili Peppers/By The Way- Venice Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers/One Hot Minute- Transcending

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 70
REM- Superman- Life's Rich Pageant

The Clash- Train in Vain- London Calling

and special category, last song on the last album.......

The Doors- Riders On The Storm- LA Woman

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 70
Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms - Brothers in Arms

Opeth/Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell (not counting the abomination "Eternal soul Torture")

Marillion/Clutching At Straws - The Last Straw, Happy Ending

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something odd about the title of the thread...

Sometimes you gotta go with the flow. We know what you meant. Sometimes the best closing song is not the closer on the album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do i fix it?

Very simple. Go to the title in the main forum thread and double click to the right of the box (in the empty area), and it will turn the title blue and allow you to edit it. If you still have a problem, please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help you, step, by step.

Us mods created this option so that members could change the title of a "For Sale" thread to "Sold", instead of "FS:" so people wouldn't get their hopes up while browsing.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bob Dylan/Shot Of Love- Every Grain Of Sand

I think this is one of the very greatest songs he has ever written, period. Emmylou Harris's version, from Wrecking Ball may be even better than his original.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is one of the very greatest songs he has ever written, period. Emmylou Harris's version, from Wrecking Ball may be even better than his original.

Well, I'm reasonably new to Dylan and only own 8 of his records, so I couldn't yet make that judgement call but it is a lovely song
wink.gif
. Glad to see someone else appreciates it (many can't stand that album enough to remember it lol). I'll try and check out the emmylou Harris version and see what I think.

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 70
The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection, not sure if its coincidence but they also did the greatest opener of all time (I Wanna be Adored) and the greatest album of all time (self titled).

Yanks never got them - but us Brits love em.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarcul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection, not sure if its coincidence but they also did the greatest opener of all time (I Wanna be Adored) and the greatest album of all time (self titled).

Yanks never got them - but us Brits love em.

I resent that! I am a "Yank" to the point of living in NYC and rooting for the Yankees. I got them, believe me. I've still got the original 12" singles of both "I Wanna Be Adored" and "Fools Gold."

But you are right, of course. Outside of a few friends at the time, nobody around here seemed to have heard of them. Too bad, they were great.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also like her version of "Mansion on the Hill" better than Bruce's.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see someone else appreciates it (many can't stand that album enough to remember it lol). I'll try and check out the emmylou Harris version and see what I think.

Sometimes it takes years for the public to catch up with an artist's best work. I think that Dylan will always be considered great, but in time there will inevitably be a re-evaluation of his work.

I was too young (I'm 48) to have really understood what all the shouting was about during what is regarded as Dylan's "great" period, from the early 60s until roughly the turn of the decade.

The first Dylan album that really caught my attention was Blood on the Tracks, which was released in '75 when I was 14 or 15, and drunk out of my mind on music. It was the first great Dylan album that was part of the soundtrack of my soon-to-be adult life. It's acknowledged as one of his classics now, but at the time, critical reaction was decidedly mixed.

Dylan is ever-mercurial, and it's not surprising that people who love a particular view of him, or a particular period of his work, get petulant when he switches gears. I read some scathingly negative reviews in fact, along with some raves. You never know how opinions of his work will shift over time.

If you like Emmylou's version of "Ev'ry Grain of Sand," I strongly urge you to check out Wrecking Ball. I consider it to be her masterpiece, as do a lot of other people. I heard a radio interview with her some years after it was released, and she still seemed a bit shocked that she was allowed to record and release that record. A country artist covering Hendrix? Accompanied by Larry Mullen Jr. from U2 on drums? Somebody at the record company must have risked his or her career to to get this album made. It's as much a rock record as a country album, and brings together all of the strands of what has come to be called Americana. Sheer brilliance, in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like her version of "Mansion on the Hill" better than Bruce's.

She is truly an amazing interpretive singer. And living proof that a successful artist can age very gracefully without becoming an oldies act or an irrelevant relic. God bless her!

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth/Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell (not counting the abomination "Eternal soul Torture")

/concur. Apart from Finally Free (Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory), my other favourite closer is Mine is the Grandeur/of Melancholy Burning (Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery), which is also followed in some cuts by an overloud roughly produced bonus song, in this case a cover, named... Bringing of Torture. Coincidence? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back