What is the best last song of any album?
Sep 1, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"By the time i get to Phoenix" off "hot buttered soul" Isaac Hayes

My eMusic account renews in a couple of days. Hot Buttered Soul is at the top of my "Saved For Later" list. I will download it, and blast it through my modest system, and remember this great musician. May God rest his soul. And I do mean SOUL.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #32 of 70
"Wake Up" from Rage Against the Machine (self titled album).

Also:

-"Only In Dreams" from Weezer (self titled)
-"Lenny" from Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan
-"Every Last One (Cornerstone Remix)" from Common Market (self titled)
-"Moonlight" from Evolution Fight by Cyne
-"Straight Through the Heart" from Holy Diver by Dio (HELL YEAH!)

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it takes years for the public to catch up with an artist's best work. I think that Dylan will always be considered great, but in time there will inevitably be a re-evaluation of his work.

I was too young (I'm 48) to have really understood what all the shouting was about during what is regarded as Dylan's "great" period, from the early 60s until roughly the turn of the decade.

The first Dylan album that really caught my attention was Blood on the Tracks, which was released in '75 when I was 14 or 15, and drunk out of my mind on music. It was the first great Dylan album that was part of the soundtrack of my soon-to-be adult life. It's acknowledged as one of his classics now, but at the time, critical reaction was decidedly mixed.

Dylan is ever-mercurial, and it's not surprising that people who love a particular view of him, or a particular period of his work, get petulant when he switches gears. I read some scathingly negative reviews in fact, along with some raves. You never know how opinions of his work will shift over time.

If you like Emmylou's version of "Ev'ry Grain of Sand," I strongly urge you to check out Wrecking Ball. I consider it to be her masterpiece, as do a lot of other people. I heard a radio interview with her some years after it was released, and she still seemed a bit shocked that she was allowed to record and release that record. A country artist covering Hendrix? Accompanied by Adam Clayton from U2 on drums? Somebody at the record company must have risked his or her career to to get this album made. It's as much a rock record as a country album, and brings together all of the strands of what has come to be called Americana. Sheer brilliance, in my opinion.

Right, where to begin responding?
wink.gif
Great, post DrBenway!

I think you're dead right with regards to Dylan and his work. His natural desire to expand and grow and diversify musically (and spiritually and as a person etc etc, that intertwines with the artistic and expressional process), which I can definately empathasie with and relate to, is gona cause adverse reactions from some factions of his fanbase that felt a particularly strong report and resonance with a certain style or approach he was implementing or genre he was exploring when he moves on from that. Thats gona happen. Some people can't see past their own pre-conceptions and selfish wants to just take what comes from an artist, be open to what they want to do and create and accepting of it. Music is an artists or bands self expression. Fans should accept that IMO and take what comes. The other ironic edge to that close mindedness is that if an artist/bamd kept to the same style etc and kept re-eaxmpling that and rehashing the same thing, in essnece, that it would soon become tiresome, or certainly less exciting, dynamic and impacting, because its been seen numerous times before from them and has lost freshness. I think an artist has to allow themselves to go with their flow of interest and to grow and evolve really. Theres much more I could say on this, points for and against, but, ultimately, personally, I'm very accepting of what an artist/band does and brings out as its their expression and what they wanted to do. That doesn't mean I'm gona lie to myself or anyone else if I don't particulary like it or get it but it does mean I let it be and don't get pissed off or anything. What's the point?

Anyway, digression aside
biggrin.gif
, back to responding.

You're obviously correct in saying also, that how people view Dylan's work over time is gona change and evolve also, as with any artist. With time, people can put things into context better, maybe. Maybe, if the artists expired, they have the full and finished works to analyse, study and disect now. Theres no new material around the corner to be thinking off or coming out to defray attention from previously released material. The social times have changed. The lyrical and/or musical content of the music will take upon a different complexion, consequently. Emotions can subside eg disappointment at an album at time of first release and thus you look at the material fairer and more open-mindedly. Etc etc. Yeah, you make an excellent point there!

On emmylou, between yourself and coop47's comments and insight in another thread, you've got me very intrigued by her and her work! I'm definately gona explore her material!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #37 of 70
Brain Damage/Eclipse easy. There are lots of songs listed here that I really like, but this one of the few that is actually related to the album as a whole. When it's done playing it's like "holy crap I gotta play this album again." I think it's a perfect ending to the album in mood and lyric and really is what makes that album so replayable for me.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #38 of 70
Some of my favorites

"Fillmore Jive" by Pavement off of Crooked Rain
"Fin" also by Pavement off of Brighten the Corners
"Say Yes" Elliot Smith - Either/Or
"Oh Yoko" John Lennon - Imagine
"Passing Afternoon" Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brain Damage/Eclipse easy. There are lots of songs listed here that I really like, but this one of the few that is actually related to the album as a whole. When it's done playing it's like "holy crap I gotta play this album again." I think it's a perfect ending to the album in mood and lyric and really is what makes that album so replayable for me.

Exactly what I love from an end song on an album, I think the one end song that always does this for me is Two Headed Boy Part Two by Neutral Milk Hotel. When the song ends its like shutting the back cover of a book, and you sit there looking at the book wanting to flip it over, open the cover again and experience the wonder inside once more

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Emmylou's version of "Ev'ry Grain of Sand," I strongly urge you to check out Wrecking Ball. I consider it to be her masterpiece, as do a lot of other people. I heard a radio interview with her some years after it was released, and she still seemed a bit shocked that she was allowed to record and release that record. A country artist covering Hendrix? Accompanied by Larry Mullen Jr. from U2 on drums? Somebody at the record company must have risked his or her career to to get this album made. It's as much a rock record as a country album, and brings together all of the strands of what has come to be called Americana. Sheer brilliance, in my opinion.

I have never heard Emmylou Harris, but I think I want to get that cd now.

And Radiohead - In Rainbows - Videotape

EDIT: I just listened to Every Grain on Sand on Wrecking Ball, and I loved it. IT is a great version of the song.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #41 of 70
smash your head pt. 2 on Girl Talk's album: Night Ripper.

It is hands down the most epic moment in mashup history

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #42 of 70
Lots of great entries here. My favorite is Eclipse, but since it's already been mentioned I'll put in another one.

"The Squirming Coil", by Phish on 'A Live One' (1995)

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #43 of 70
The best song which is last on an album is a tough one, and I am really not sure. Perhaps Buckets of Rain from the greatest album (
biggrin.gif
don't argue) Blood On the Tracks by Bob Dylan.

However, when I initially misread the thread title as "Best Last Song for Any Album?" meaning which last song best suits, completes, finishes, and says farewell to an album, I immediately thought of Highlands from Time Out of Mind, also by Bob Dylan. Just something about it, moreso than any other album I have heard, fits in perfectly with the rest of the record, and fits in perfectly exactly where it is at the end.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, where to begin responding?Some people can't see past their own pre-conceptions and selfish wants to just take what comes from an artist, be open to what they want to do and create and accepting of it. Music is an artists or bands self expression. Fans should accept that IMO and take what comes.

I think you've put your finger on the difference between listening -- really listening -- to an artist, and using that artist as a lifestyle accessory. I can't really blame people, because music does naturally evoke the life experiences that went with listening to it. But I do believe that true artists have to be allowed to do what they want. There is a big difference between entertainment and art; great art isn't always entertaining, and great entertainment isn't always art. (Of course there are performers who are both great artists and great entertainers.)

Quote:

The other ironic edge to that close mindedness is that if an artist/bamd kept to the same style etc and kept re-eaxmpling that and rehashing the same thing, in essnece, that it would soon become tiresome, or certainly less exciting, dynamic and impacting, because its been seen numerous times before from them and has lost freshness.

Jimi Hendrix complained near the end of his life that he was sick of trying to live up to the expectations that he had created, and was looking for a new direction. In one interview he said something along the lines of being so sick of "Foxy Lady" that he felt like he would die if he had to play it one more time. We will never know where he would have taken his music, of course, but I'm sure it would have been somewhere amazing.

Dylan has never stayed still. That's why he is still relevant after all these decades, while most of his contemporaries have turned into highly-paid nostalgia acts. I think he would stop performing if he thought that was happening to him.

Quote:

On emmylou, between yourself and coop47's comments and insight in another thread, you've got me very intrigued by her and her work! I'm definately gona explore her material!
biggrin.gif

Great! Wrecking Ball is a spectacular representation of her talent, and a great place to start. Much of her other material is alt-country or rockabilly-flavored. Very early in her career, she also sang a series of duets with the legendary Gram Parsons, a true wild man and pioneering artist. I've never heard that stuff; it's a really big hole in my listening, and I should do something about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listened to Every Grain on Sand on Wrecking Ball, and I loved it. IT is a great version of the song.

I'm glad you liked it! Wrecking Ball is not necessarily representative of her overall career, but it is, as they say, a sui generis work of art.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #45 of 70
I have a soft spot for "maried with children" off Oasis' Definately Maybe. The rest of the album is quite cocky and brash, whereas the last song is more resigned. It's a nice contrast to the rest of the album.

Also "Street spirit:fade out" off Radiohead's the Bends is fantastic. As is the sumptuous "Glory box" from Portishead's Dummy.

Pulp's "sunrise" off We love life is a nice uplifting end to the album, which then picks up the pace halfway through to end on a rocking end
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back