What is that "fuzzy" sound I'm hearing on my HD650s?
May 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Scottyyy

500+ Head-Fier
Hmm, sorry if this is a little hard to understand as I can't really describe it, but I'm quite curious about this sound I'm hearing.

It's sort of a fuzzy noise, that fizzes out after a second or so. It's most noticeable on the first track of Sigur Ros' album ( ) (Untitled), at around 1:20 in. After every piano stroke is when I hear it. At first I thought it was the file I was listening to - the album is ripped in 192kbps mp3 which is pretty low quality. But I'm also hearing the same thing in Tori Amos - Winter, on her Little Earthquakes album that I have the CD for. So it can't be compression artefacts if I'm hearing it on the CD, surely?

Does anyone have any ideas what it is? Or could someone else listen to the tracks I've mentioned and see if they hear it too?

I think it may be my HD650s, as I don't remember hearing this sound on any other headphones. At least, not so obviously.

May 23, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 13
I doubt it would be the HD650's, what source, DAC, amp are you using. I'm guessing though that it'll probably be a lose chord, or some interference. (Also at 192kbps the HD650's you will be clearly able to hear 'distortion' as it will amplify the problems, so to speak).

May 23, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 13
Fuzzy sound? It must be love
tongue.gif

all jokes aside, it might be loose connection between headphone and amp/source. Have you tried it from any other source?

May 23, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 13
ITS THE VEIL I TELL YEE!
wink.gif

JK, its probably your source or amp. If you have a tube amp, tubes sometimes can make strange noises while they are getting burned in.

May 23, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 13
My first pair of hifi cans were the HD555s and i almost returned them (actually i contacted amazon.com and they sent me a replacement by mistake) because i thought a weird noise i was hearing was because they were defective. I sent the mp3s i was hearing the things on to a friend and who has very expensive speakers and he told me the recordings had those noises.

Ive been listening practically nonstop to the HD650 for two days since they got here and 192kbps sounds pretty bad in them. I am reripping to 320 or 256VBR because those are the bitrates that sound the best and that dont have the weird sounds.

If you want upload the file and i will try to spot the problem on the recording....i think there is the problem.

May 23, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 13
LOL...I knew someone would say "It's the Veil!"...even in jest.

I listened to that Tori Amos track, and didn't hear it (see my equipment below), so it must be something in your chain.

EDIT: Ok, I take that back...I DID hear a "tsstss..." sound right before she starts playing and during the quiet parts. I verified that it's there with Denon D2000's and at various upsampled rates with a Musiland MD-10. I think what you're hearing is due to the analog tape used during recording. That's a good thing, it means your Emu, Darkvoice 332 and Senns are nice and revealing...and that you're developing a critical ear. Keep listening to the music, don't worry about your equipment.

May 23, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...I knew someone would say "It's the Veil!"...even in jest.

I listened to that Tori Amos track, and didn't hear it (see my equipment below), so it must be something in your chain.

EDIT: Ok, I take that back...I DID hear a "tsstss..." sound right before she starts playing and during the quiet parts. I verified that it's there with Denon D2000's and at various upsampled rates with a Musiland MD-10. I think what you're hearing is due to the analog tape used during recording. That's a good thing, it means your Emu, Darkvoice 332 and Senns are nice and revealing...and that you're developing a critical ear. Keep listening to the music, don't worry about your equipment.

Ah right. That's interesting, thanks.

I'm not an overly critical listener, it's just I've never heard that sound before and was wondering what is was haha. Yeah "tsstss..." describes it quite well too.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah right. That's interesting, thanks.

I'm not an overly critical listener, it's just I've never heard that sound before and was wondering what is was haha. Yeah "tsstss..." describes it quite well too.
biggrin.gif

Kids these days...with their digital lifestyles! Lol...

May 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 13
try to get the first song off of the mezzanine album by massive attack. turn up the volume fairly high, not painfully high but about as high as you can go without making your ears bleed. but listen to the beginning of the song at a normal volume first and then gradually increase the volume and then the third time listen to it with the volume cranked up.

the song has just a deep rumbling bass in the beginning so dont worry - no crazy screaming banshees with rip your head apart. but be warned, the bass is really really visceral. depending on how well the amp and your source push the 650s, you may or may not hear the same noise. i heard a noise similar to the one you were describing and it turned out to be my amp in the end. nothing wrong with the headphones.

my rig was auzen prelude -> little dot mk v -> hd650. file was flac so i dont remember the bitrate. =/

May 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try to get the first song off of the mezzanine album by massive attack. turn up the volume fairly high, not painfully high but about as high as you can go without making your ears bleed. but listen to the beginning of the song at a normal volume first and then gradually increase the volume and then the third time listen to it with the volume cranked up.

the song has just a deep rumbling bass in the beginning so dont worry - no crazy screaming banshees with rip your head apart. but be warned, the bass is really really visceral. depending on how well the amp and your source push the 650s, you may or may not hear the same noise. i heard a noise similar to the one you were describing and it turned out to be my amp in the end. nothing wrong with the headphones.

my rig was auzen prelude -> little dot mk v -> hd650. file was flac so i dont remember the bitrate. =/

I'm a big fan of Massive Attack and i've listened to Angel lots of times. I don't hear the noise on it though.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 13
i know im bringing this thread out of a 2 year death but thats the strangest thing, i was listening to this song today and i noticed it in my k240s and it sent me on a search for more threads about fuzzy distortion in my songs, and coincidentally i have a 192kbps version too... maybe we downloaded the same copy? but this whole track has some fuzzy spots, that annoyed me until i read this, its good to hear that all the distortion i keep hearing in my songs is actually supposed to be, or well accidentally there and its not my headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back