what is better, sennheiser hd25 or v-moda m-80?
Nov 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Well look, I'm not you.  I can't predict what will sound pleasing to your ears.   Everything Trujunglist said above is accurate and I agree with 100%.  At the end of the day he prefers the HD25 and I prefer the M80.  There is no 'best' between the two.   You really need to listen to the HD25 and get back to us so we have a point of reference.   When listening to the HD25 keep this in mind;  The M80 has a noticeably more laid back high frequency (treble).  The M80 has a fuller sounding mid range.  The HD25's bass thumps slightly harder and decays quicker than the M80 which is why it's described as fast.  The M80 bass hit respectably well, especially considering it's size.  To my ears the M80's bass sounded more textured and picked up the lower bass frequencies more than the HD25.  I imagine the most likely criticism you would hear about the M80 is that the highs are too laid back.  

P.S.  The German Amazon does not let you return items you are not happy with for a refund??

so... i went to listen to the hd 25, it sounded nice, the problem is that i felt that the bass was a bit too weak and there was too much treble, it was a bit to clear. i think i want more balanced, more bass but not to sound like beats which has a bad sound quality...
i listend without an amp to some rock and pop with ipod touch at about 80% volume. are the m80 really the best choice for me with a budget of about 300$? i dont care how it looks, i want it to be comfy and sound like i described here

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 28
i have been recommended to use an amp, people mentiond the fiio e11. if i understood correctly it picks up the bass, using it supposes to solve my high treble problem?
do you think i should buy another amp if i buy the hd25?...

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 28
The impressions in this thread have been pretty spot on. Owning both and liking both a lot for different reasons, I feel they both complement each other well. The HDs can be fun and aggressive but at the same time, congested. The M-80 is a nice relief with better soundstage and a smoother sound altogether. If you think the HD25 is a bit too bright for you I'd imagine you would enjoy the M-80s quite a bit more. Undoubtedly a very enjoyable can with a full-size sound to my ears, in a nice small package.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
The impressions in this thread have been pretty spot on. Owning both and liking both a lot for different reasons, I feel they both complement each other well. The HDs can be fun and aggressive but at the same time, congested. The M-80 is a nice relief with better soundstage and a smoother sound altogether. If you think the HD25 is a bit too bright for you I'd imagine you would enjoy the M-80s quite a bit more. Undoubtedly a very enjoyable can with a full-size sound to my ears, in a nice small package.

the bass in the m80 should be fine or is there a chance that i will think that its not enough? if should i buy an amp for it too? from what im hearing the m80 are not cans for using an amp with them...
its kinda wierd.... some say that the hd25 have better bass and some say that the m80 has a better one. i see you know and probably tried both, what are the differences between them?
im afraid that if i'll go with the m80 i'll compromise about sound quality too much, compared to the hd25

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
so... i went to listen to the hd 25, it sounded nice, the problem is that i felt that the bass was a bit too weak and there was too much treble, it was a bit to clear. i think i want more balanced, more bass ...

Giving your words, I think it's a safe bet you would like the M80 more than the HD25.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 28
Both have about the same amount of bass. The HDs have slightly more impact while the M-80s have good punch and better detail/extension to my ears. The biggest difference really is in the treble response and soundstage.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #25 of 28
I was in a similar situation as you and after reading many reviews of both and others I bought the M80 never having heard them and am very happy. Both are equally praised but for different reasons as they have sound sigs that differ and it depends on which sound you prefer. They are both built well with looks that will appeal to certain people. The hd 25 clamp tighter where the M80 clamp lightly. I also was confused regarding the different conclusions regarding bass but after allot of reading I concluded that the hd25 have a slight edge in impact, the mid bass thud that hits you, and the M80 , which also has good impact goes deeper to sub bass regions and may be more defined but not as quick. These are not huge differances but are there. The  bass on the M80 has been very highly praised in many reviews as has the mids which are not recessed like the hd25. The mids are described as being very smooth and liquid , a seemless transition from the bass. The highs on the M80 are what is night and day from the hd25. The hd25 are brighter and more forward than the M80 giving the hd25 a clearer and faster impressionbut this can lead to sibilance and fatigue if you are sensitive to sharp highs, as I am and ultimately was why I chose the M80 which have whats been described as polite treble. You can hear it but not feel it.Its just not as forward as the rest of the sound which makes for an extremely easy ,nonfatiquing listen but makes it feel a lttle less clear and fast as the hd25. I have IEM that have that bright sound and I wanted something smooth, detailed with great bass and thats what I got with the M80. Lastly, the M80 has a larger sound stahe than the hd25, possibly due to the little ports on the cups but these ports also make it noisey when about on a windy day.
Hope this helps.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 28
I don't know if you already made your purchase, (or where you live for that matter,) but I was able to audition the M80 at my local Radio Shack...they even have them on sale right now for about $130. I'm thinking of taking the plunge myself because of the price.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #28 of 28
I own both of them and while I have only had the V-Moda M80 for 24 hours. Took them out for a long trial yesterday evening, I have to say that I like them alot.
I would say that soundwise - you have to really define what music you want them to perform well with, and also if you are sensitive for the kind of direct sound that the HD 25 have.Come to think of it - aren't there a different sound to the different HD 25's as well? I have the HD 25-II by the way.

I would rank the pro and con's like this:

HD 25-II
+ Very good bass and clear sound
+ Very direct sound and grows a bit warmer with the right AMP
+ Secure fit and giving excellant listening in noisy environments
+ They can stand jogging, serious head-banging - should that be to your liking :wink:
+ Comes with Pleather and Velour cushions, as well as 1/4" adapter.
+ Very tough, even though plastic

- The secure fit makes them clamping your ears after an hour or so.
- Tight and with the pleather cups - you sweat around the ears
- being so tight - having glasses isn't a bonus
- A bit ugly and have a rather stiff cord.

V-Moda M80 (bear in mind I haven't had them for that long!)
+ Really nice overall sound
+ Warmer bass and mids
+ Sturdy built
+ Looks way cool
+ You get two cords with 3 button/1button setup for smartphones
+ OK comfortability for over an hour of use
+ Excellant carry case!

- Doesn't sit that secure on your head, bobbles a bit when you walk in rougher terrain, shakes your head
- Needs a secure fit to give best listening
- Problem that when plugging in to 1/4" adapter and external DAC you may have to reverse the cord to not get muted sound
- Doesn't block external sound that well, wind can make a whining sound etc.

that is my input and I would sum it up with that IMHO - whatever you chose, you will end up with a good pair of headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back