what is better, sennheiser hd25 or v-moda m-80?
Nov 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 28
I think the HD25 is more a bass+treble and the M80 is more like Bass + mids. I prefer the HD25 over the M80 because I feel that they are  slightly faster and clearer.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 28
I returned the HD25 and then bought and kept the M80.   I use them often at work (office environment)  every day.  The HD25s are fairly bright sounding and as a result I personally found them fatiguing.  The M80s, by contrast, are more mid range centric.  To me the M80s were smoother sounding and more suited for longer listening sessions.  Also the M80 is smaller and I know it shouldn't matter, but they look SO much better than the HD25.   

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 28
how do i know exectly what i want?
i can try the hd25 but cant try the v moda anywhere. i dont care which looks better :wink:
what exactly are the deferences in words that i can understand? a guy who is not an expert and doesnt understand those terns very much...

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:
how do i know exectly what i want?
i can try the hd25 but cant try the v moda anywhere. i dont care which looks better :wink:
what exactly are the deferences in words that i can understand? a guy who is not an expert and doesnt understand those terns very much...

Have you already tried the HD25?  If you try it and like what you hear just get them.  Easy enough.   But if you want to make sure between the two, you could buy the M80, take it with you to the place where you can try the HD25 and directly compare the two.  If you buy the M80 (NEW, not used) from V-Moda or Amazon, returns/refunds are very hassle free.   With Amazon I went through the Pro 700MK2, HD25 and HFI-580 before settling on the M80.   

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 28
Just to give you my experience in having the two in my possession for a short time, all testing was done through an Fiio e11.....

The vmodas had a smoother high/mid range to me.  Less impactful bass, but still good quality.  They were dead sexy, built like a tank, and included a few goodies.  I found them to be more comfy than the hd-25s.

The senns, (which I kept), are very aggressive.  Mids and highs are clear, but the stage is small so it does kinda jumble a bit.  The bass is fast and punchy, which for the music I listen to is my preference.  I prefer it to almost all the other cans I have tried at this moment, (dt770 250ohm, q40, m80, and it ties the hfi-780).  I love the retro, utilitarian look of it-and it seems quite durable.  Comfort is not the best, but not the worst, I would say you really have to wear them for a few hours to see how you like it, although opening the headband to reduce some of the clamp worked very well for me.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
Have you already tried the HD25?  If you try it and like what you hear just get them.  Easy enough.   But if you want to make sure between the two, you could buy the M80, take it with you to the place where you can try the HD25 and directly compare the two.  If you buy the M80 (NEW, not used) from V-Moda or Amazon, returns/refunds are very hassle free.   With Amazon I went through the Pro 700MK2, HD25 and HFI-580 before settling on the M80.   

im going to try them in a few days. i m not from the usa and im buying from the germany amazon... i can only pick one...
i prefer a comfortable pair, but if the sound is really better and the hd are comfy enough its fune with me. the question is how is the bass really in the m80 because its important, from what im reading the mids and highs r good and clear too right?
its just that i cant try the m80 so i need people to describe how r they...
im listening to pop hits and some rock, and i want to have bass that is good enough.
if you know the fanny wang 3000, can you compare the bass quality between them?

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 28
Well look, I'm not you.  I can't predict what will sound pleasing to your ears.   Everything Trujunglist said above is accurate and I agree with 100%.  At the end of the day he prefers the HD25 and I prefer the M80.  There is no 'best' between the two.   You really need to listen to the HD25 and get back to us so we have a point of reference.   When listening to the HD25 keep this in mind;  The M80 has a noticeably more laid back high frequency (treble).  The M80 has a fuller sounding mid range.  The HD25's bass thumps slightly harder and decays quicker than the M80 which is why it's described as fast.  The M80 bass hit respectably well, especially considering it's size.  To my ears the M80's bass sounded more textured and picked up the lower bass frequencies more than the HD25.  I imagine the most likely criticism you would hear about the M80 is that the highs are too laid back.  

P.S.  The German Amazon does not let you return items you are not happy with for a refund??

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
Well look, I'm not you.  I can't predict what will sound pleasing to your ears.   Everything Trujunglist said above is accurate and I agree with 100%.  At the end of the day he prefers the HD25 and I prefer the M80.  There is no 'best' between the two.   You really need to listen to the HD25 and get back to us so we have a point of reference.   When listening to the HD25 keep this in mind;  The M80 has a noticeably more laid back high frequency (treble).  The M80 has a fuller sounding mid range.  The HD25's bass thumps slightly harder and decays quicker than the M80 which is why it's described as fast.  The M80 bass hit respectably well, especially considering it's size.  To my ears the M80's bass sounded more textured and picked up the lower bass frequencies more than the HD25.  I imagine the most likely criticism you would hear about the M80 is that the highs are too laid back.  

P.S.  The German Amazon does not let you return items you are not happy with for a refund??

im going to try them in 2 days and ill come back. the problem is that i'll still dont know if the m80 are comfy and sound good for my taste...
i dont know how amazon works, especially the german one, im not from there, a family member goes there...
do you think the m80 needs an amp?

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 28
I found the M80 as having a little more lively sound to it with much more bass emphasis compared to the HD-25-1-ii.  Both are excellent.  If you prefer a little more bass and do not mind it being a bit heavy at times the M80 is an awesome buy.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
I found the M80 as having a little more lively sound to it with much more bass emphasis compared to the HD-25-1-ii.  Both are excellent.  If you prefer a little more bass and do not mind it being a bit heavy at times the M80 is an awesome buy.

by heavy you mean that it hits you too hard and loud?
and for pop and rock do i really need more stage in my headphones?

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
by heavy you mean that it hits you too hard and loud?
and for pop and rock do i really need more stage in my headphones?

The M-80's bass has a great quantity along with good quality. If you love bass and you're afraid of getting something beat-like, You don't have to worry. 
Soundstage is pure preference. I would even prefer a more forward and closer sound for rock.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
The M-80's bass has a great quantity along with good quality. If you love bass and you're afraid of getting something beat-like, You don't have to worry. 
Soundstage is pure preference. I would even prefer a more forward and closer sound for rock.

i had a problem with the beats since the bass takes over too much over the higher frequencies

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

i had a problem with the beats since the bass takes over too much over the higher frequencies

Again, you probably won't need to worry about that, the M-80 has a strong bass that actually sounds good and don't give you a headache. The highs and mids are just as clear as the bass, just not as strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back