What is better: Dolby surround simulation or authentic, quality stereo?
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #31 of 50
I'm sorry that my earlier post was quite frankly hugely opinionated and that kind of kicked off the escalation of opinions. You guys seriously know your stuff, and it's simply just a difference of opinion - basically we should be enjoying those differences as opposed to get all spikey about it :smile:

I tend towards the surround camp and always will, but each to their own. Great posts all round.

You seemed like you had a bad day and were ready to just let go :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #32 of 50
@cel .. naw .. just way too many beers 
smile.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #34 of 50
There is a topic about Dolby Headphone settings. I just posted there my most recent settings.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss/705#post_10268257

I agree with Dreyka:
Well I don't know HD800 how they sound,but I know Alpha Dogs. On Alphas music straight from CD is very enjoyable, but because tracks are not binaural you still fell this super-stereo effect which is tiring. You can solve the problem by simulating that sound is incoming from speakers that are in front of you. If you do that you may indeed hear sound like on speakers, but the problem with speakers is that sound is coming only from the front, and you would like to hear something from back as well - at least some echo or something to make you feel the dimension of the stage. Apparently there is Dolby Pro Logic which can convert any stereo into 5 channel audio. In theory it works only with material recorded in PL format (BTW I have a few CD's which actually are). However in practice you can still use that technique when listening to any stereo recording. The thing with all PL surround effects is that they are predefined, and you can't change their internal parameters. So I came up with Matrix, that will do the decoding. First I got coefficients for PL, and then tweaked them to be more for music listening, i.e. to be useful with normal stereo rather than PL records only.

Some people may say that any DSP will devastate the sound quality. I would agree that better SQ would be if recording was binaural from the beginning, but we all know that is not going to happen. So how much does the DSP destroy the sound. I have noticed that adding effects very much blurs the sound when listening on cheaper headphones. But for example with Alpha Dog it is just impossible not to hear every single detail. So I guess much depends on gear - with better gear DSP is not a problem.

I don't use VSS with music unless it's 5.1 or 7.1 which most music isn't. I do think that out of all the VSS out there Dolby Headphone does sound best with music as it clearly sounds like the music is coming from two speakers in front. With technological improvements such as Dolby HeadphoneX I expect to see full room virtualisation for headphones now that we have a lot of processing power to throw behind it. It's exciting stuff when you consider it's place with Head Mounted Virtual Reality displays. You can create a virtual cinema with presence and sound to accurately match the environment.

Presence: Is a term used by Valve and in VR circles to describe something that doesn't just look real but feels real. It's an extremely powerful effect. For example, put someone on top of a virtual skyscraper with a HMD with presence and watch the persons knees buckle because vertigo kicked. They can walk off the edge and nothing would be happen but only a small percentage of people in Valve's tests would actually do that. Presence is powerful stuff.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #35 of 50
You can still you Dolby Headphone with stereo recordings, just with Matrix you can place sound in front of you. I find that the better the gear the better the effect :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 50
Fascinating topic about audio hardware consistent with what I use for both hearing online videos and monitoring (perhaps pre-mixing?) future of my own.  Dolby Laboratories Surround Stereo was invented to solve the problem of reproducing multidirectional sound from only two hardware audio channels in the cinema formats of the 1970's, and it still sees occasional use at YouTube™/Google®, UStream®, and other over-the-Web video service providers with limited audio capacity.  On my Asus® CM1630-06 with XONAR® Essence™ audio, the C-Media® Audio Controller™ (packaged with Maxed Tech® UNi XONAR® Audio™ Software 1.6x and 1.7x) packs environmental effects that I occasionally use proofing the arrangements I construct in Cakewalk® Music Creator™, but not listening to over-the-Web videos.

I may test the Dolby® Virtual Speaker™ audio processing with my Music Creator arrangements over the next several weeks.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #38 of 50
I've started using Dolby Headphone more and more for listening to music. It sounds so good with my Focal Spirit Professionals. Personally, the soundstage doesn't really exist with headphones and it's either center, panned left or panned right. However, with dolby headphone a soundstage emerges.

I actually think it takes a bit time to get used to Dolby Headphone and the imaging becomes clearer. I find that being able to visualise the speaker system and it's distance helps you get used to it. Once you do so the image becomes clear. You have to realise the sound is coming from in front.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #44 of 50
I just meant that when you close your eyes with Dolby Headphone turned on, after a while you completely forget about that you are wearing headphones. I said I use Dolby Headphone at work, but I didn't mean that I work with closed eyes... :p Anyways, Dolby Headphone makes sound come from distance, so it is easier to focus on my computer screen. I like to play the music very loud at work so, this would really be an issue.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #45 of 50
Koolas,
Yes, we were having fun, but I think we understood what you meant. IMO, the important distinction is that Dolby Headphone and Dolby Pro Logic IIz are not the same thing. Liking DPL IIz (and DH) is up to personal taste, but they work differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back