What is a closed headphone upgrade that is leaps and bounds above the Ath m50x? Lets make a list of the step ups in quality help me out my friends!
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #76 of 83

Too much bass compared to neutral reference headphones but not much bass compared to most consumer headphones (and the bass is very good quality). The 1540 are almost neutral according to the "harman response curve" but not neutral if you think that is a flat line at 0db. I think they are a perfect balance between "consumer beats sound" and "professional reference" sound. The sound quality of reference headphones but frequency response that is not boring.

I completely disagree about the shures. I have never heard a more detailed can and maybe in the "neutral" world they are bassy but not at all in comparison to most consumer cans. They are a lot less bassy than my m50x and have the widest soundstage I have ever heard in a closed back. Just wish they made a more portable cable :frowning2: thanks for the suggestions mate!

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #77 of 83
I have to disagree as well on the SRH1540. I tried them at a meet (hey Folex!) and while I thought they were warm, I don't think they could be considered very bassy. Folex, you may have tried them out of the amp that was there, and I noticed a difference in warmth when not using the amp. Without the amp they weren't incredibly bassy. At least not next to something like the SE215 or the M50. I loved them; light and detailed, while still maintaining a warm sound that didn't overpower anything. Probably one of my favorite headphones at the meet.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #78 of 83
  I have to disagree as well on the SRH1540. I tried them at a meet (hey Folex!) and while I thought they were warm, I don't think they could be considered very bassy. Folex, you may have tried them out of the amp that was there, and I noticed a difference in warmth when not using the amp. Without the amp they weren't incredibly bassy. At least not next to something like the SE215 or the M50. I loved them; light and detailed, while still maintaining a warm sound that didn't overpower anything. Probably one of my favorite headphones at the meet.

I tried the 1540's on the owner's setup, It was a schitt something. I thought it was bassy on that. Then I tried it on my setup @ 0 amped. That too was bassy. I dropped my amp to -7 (no idea what measurements my amp is using) and that sounded really good. On my Beyer 990's I use +9, on my t50rp I use +10, on my ms2000's I use 0 and on my mdr 900's I use +6. If the Shure 1840 sounds like the -7 amped 1540 I'd consider buying a pair. They sounded really good with very powerful, yet even presentation when under amped. 

The m50's desperately need a headphone pad upgrade. When I put them on it felt very uncomfortable. If they had a pair of brainwavz hm5 pads I bet my experience would have been considerably better. 

Stock Vs brainwavz

Also has the senn 600 headband pad which I doubt is needed, but couldn't hurt. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #79 of 83
  I completely disagree about the shures. I have never heard a more detailed can and maybe in the "neutral" world they are bassy but not at all in comparison to most consumer cans. They are a lot less bassy than my m50x and have the widest soundstage I have ever heard in a closed back. Just wish they made a more portable cable :frowning2: thanks for the suggestions mate!

Eh? You just said you completely disagree with me and then said exactly what I said about them pretty much lol.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #80 of 83

No they are not very bassy at stock settings but they are capable of quite a lot of bass if you EQ below about 70hz they can put out a lot of bass without sounding distorted... I got another pair of D2000 recently as I remembered them as being very bassy... When testing the D2000 vs the 1540 with both using EQ there is not that much difference, but the 1540 sounds better in the mids and treble. If you compare a "neutral" pair of headphones to the shures the "neutral" headphones will will sound thin in the lower midrange.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 83

No they are not very bassy at stock settings but they are capable of quite a lot of bass if you EQ below about 70hz they can put out a lot of bass without sounding distorted... I got another pair of D2000 recently as I remembered them as being very bassy... When testing the D2000 vs the 1540 with both using EQ there is not that much difference, but the 1540 sounds better in the mids and treble. If you compare a "neutral" pair of headphones to the shures the "neutral" headphones will will sound thin in the lower midrange.

Absolutely agree that d2000 lacks mids, but for some this is a very desirable sound. You can listen to them for hours without any fatigue. I've owned 2 pairs of denon 2000's and 1 is currently made with wood cups that are not tuned. They are an absolute bass canon and I thought the 1540's were on par on bass quanity. Stock I thought 1540 had considerably more bass then the d2000's. 

Wood Denon 2000's amung the other headphones I had lying around. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back