What IC cables do non-believers use?
Jun 17, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #46 of 109
I'm not entirely sure here. I do believe there is a difference, but I don't think it's worth some of the prices you may pay to get that difference in sound.

I have heard the Esoteric cables on a friends system and to me there was a noticeable difference in SQ, but for $6K? I think I'll pass for that amount of money. One the other hand, I don't mind spending several hundred on cables if it's a decent step up in SQ.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #49 of 109
Maybe if people spent more time acquiring the proper cables and tubes then they could spend less time worrying about what headphone, amp, or source to buy next. Some of you think slapping anything together makes you an audiophile. "Hey guys, I got a GD-Compass and some 701's, I am an Audiophile".

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #50 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a non-believer. I'm cable agnostic. If a difference can be demonstrated, I will accept it.

Is that "demonstrated" as in measured, result of DBT, or both/either?

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How, exactly, can a cable be faster than another?

I'm not sure exactly where your question is coming from, but here is a bit of information:

Exhibit A: The Universe. Exhibit B: Our Models of the Universe.

They are not the same thing.

There are models of wire (or other electrical components) that can be used to predict its behavior, and sometimes to predict that components A and B behave identically. That's in the model (in the theory). The reality is something else.

Because electrical waves travel at close to the speed of light, two functioning cables can't really have different "speeds." But if by "speed" we refer to a subjective impression, and we recognize that cables are more complex than their models, then anything can happen.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #52 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A) I have never seen one that is broken.

B) If the wire gauge needs to be equal to or greater than a particular size then cables do make a difference.

C) The cables pictured above cost about $1.50 so who cares if they break. You would have to break about 20 of them to equal the price of a BJC.

D) You know damn well you bought them for looks if you don't believe and last time I checked buying them for looks and not for audio quality is a much more dumb reason for buying anything costing more than $1.50 and also knowing this you should shut up about people getting ripped off when you are buying them for superficial reasons.

So much Bull.

Like I said before, there are lots of reasons for some people not hearing a difference but that doesnt mean everyone cant hear these differences.
rolleyes.gif

If your so worried about them breaking then I will send you a handfull from a box full of those suckers, just like anyone else who buys electronics has.

Exactly!
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #53 of 109
Quote:

Maybe if people spent more time acquiring the proper cables and tubes then they could spend less time worrying about what headphone, amp, or source to buy next. Some of you think slapping anything together makes you an audiophile. "Hey guys, I got a GD-Compass and some 701's, I am an Audiophile".

This is probably right with tubes but surely equipment makes more of a difference than cables. I moved up the ladder after owning and experiencing several headphone amplifiers until I found one perfectly suited to my tastes and now I have no desire to upgrade or look for anything else; can cables really turn one of the other amps I didn't like into something I could be this satisfied with?

I'm not trying to be impolite and as I said, I have very little experience with high end cables but that just doesn't seem likely at all. Making a discernible difference is something I'm open to but what witchcraft grants them the capacity to make or break a piece of equipment?

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #54 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably right with tubes but surely equipment makes more of a difference than cables. I moved up the ladder after owning and experiencing several headphone amplifiers until I found one perfectly suited to my tastes and now I have no desire to upgrade or look for anything else; can cables really turn one of the other amps I didn't like into something I could be this satisfied with?

I'm not trying to be impolite and as I said, I have very little experience with high end cables but that just doesn't seem likely at all. Making a discernible difference is something I'm open to but what witchcraft grants them the capacity to make or break a piece of equipment?<~~This attitude is exactly what has people swapping out equipment year after year and never truely finding a system they love.

Your missing the point, finding synergy is not accomplished by continuously swapping equipment and headphones. Finding synergy is accomplished through taking the time to make sure every component, including cables, complements the rest of the system. This will never happen swapping equipment over and over, that is from the retards handbook on synergy.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #55 of 109
Quote:

Some of you think slapping anything together makes you an audiophile. "Hey guys, I got a GD-Compass and some 701's, I am an Audiophile".

So what does make someone an audiophile?

For instance, I like to listen to music; especially when it sounds good.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #57 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what does make someone an audiophile?

For instance, I like to listen to music; especially when it sounds good.

That would probably make you an enthusiast, not an audiophile.

This is a good thing.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #58 of 109
Can this cable war be held elsewhere instead of ruinig one mans topic?
He just asked what cables are used by people not (yet) convinced of expensive cables.

I myself are in the not (yet) convinced camp.
I hate to use flimsy stock cables. Crappy connectors and flimsy, unshielded, wires.
I chose Blue Jeans Cables' LC-1 and belden coax, nicely priced and strong build quality. And it just looks better.
Should the opportunity arise i will definitly take it to see whats the fuss about. Untill then i'm not gonna yell wheter or not its a difference.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #59 of 109
Monoprice. $0.63 6 foot 3.5mm>RCA cable
smily_headphones1.gif
Although I did buy a cardas 6" 3.5mm interconnect and I will probably upgrade that monoprice to a blue jeans cable because Im semi-agnostic.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #60 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this cable war be held elsewhere instead of ruinig one mans topic?
He just asked what cables are used by people not (yet) convinced of expensive cables.

I myself are in the not (yet) convinced camp.
I hate to use flimsy stock cables. Crappy connectors and flimsy, unshielded, wires.
I chose Blue Jeans Cables' LC-1 and belden coax, nicely priced and strong build quality. And it just looks better.
Should the opportunity arise i will definitly take it to see whats the fuss about. Untill then i'm not gonna yell wheter or not its a difference.

You be sure an let us know when it would be appropriate to jump in a point out the fact that the majority of you guys don't use Rat Shack specials for a buck fifty, OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back