What IC cables do non-believers use?
Jun 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #61 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You be sure an let us know when it would be appropriate to jump in a point out the fact that the majority of you guys don't use Rat Shack specials for a buck fifty, OK?

Rat shack barely carries anything for only a buck fifty anymore
frown.gif

In fact i think $4.69 is as cheap as they go for an rca-rca stereo interconnect online now.

Amazon isn't much better, as the few <$2 options nail you for $5 shipping.

And if you actually -enter- a radioshack, as often as not all they carry is monster cable
mad.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #63 of 109
I am an atheist as far as cables go, mostly from the simple fact that headphone speaker drivers almost always have a thin copper wire going into the speaker. I use whatever is cheap and durable, or the nice looking starquad cables I made as a hobby.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #64 of 109
You olblueyez still don't get it. We will get something useful. Something that has good build quality, the desired length we need, and if it looks good even better.

There is a difference between getting a radio shack cable or a standard cable like the ones I have (<$20) to getting a >$100 or some cable where the manufacturer claims it will sound "better" in any frequency range, or more punchy bass or soundstage expanding....

You keep taking things to the extreme, when it is not needed. If some members like uncle Erik buy some BJC cables because he likes the looks of them then be it. It is his money and I won't be saying what he can do with it. But he also acknowledges that the reason why he bought them it is because of how they are built or how fancy they look, not because he thinks it will help him get better bass or more liquid? sound
biggrin.gif

There is no SQ change, unless as gregorio pointed out, the cables are broken, have oxide or something similar.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #65 of 109
Quote:

3ft (2) RCA Male to (2) RCA Male Audio Patch Cable, Gold Plated Connectors

$1.10

Monster® THX-Certified 4-Ft. RCA Audio Cable - RadioShack.com

7 dollars does not = 30

Sorry but you will have to try harder than that. The price thing is getting you no where.

I don't have to try to do anything - I already said I use the freebies that come with gear and/or radio shack stuff, and I don't recall stating that everything the shack sold was $30.

You have misattributed the "$30 cables are better than freebies but more money is a waste" position to me.

It is pretty damn difficult to find a $1.10 cable locally, you'll get gouged for $7 at least.

Also, your $1.10 link is out of stock until yesterday, and is $8.17 with shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #66 of 109
I use mostly Belkin Blue series cables. There is no question that there is a difference from the (cheap) Belkin double-shielded RCA's to the cheap included RCA's. They are also cheap and easy to get in Canada. Some of the differences include:

-Soft flexible jacket vs. hard plastic jacket
-Double shielding vs. no shielding
-99.99% pure copper conductor vs unknown quality conductor
-Tight fitting 24K gold-plated connector vs. poor fitting material unknown connector

I use my PC for my headphone setup, but I also have a pre-amp, a sub and some active monitors. I have lots of cables tucked away together. Using included RCA's in my system, there is very audible hum, but changing to the shielded Belkin's, the hum disappears. So for me it is very easy to justify the $10 Belkin RCA's over included RCA's because there is a noticeable, substantial difference in sound quality.

I would be willing to spend up to $30 for the piece of mind of knowing the cable uses decent materials and has decent construction quality, but beyond that I guess I am in the agnostic camp.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #67 of 109
Well, Bmac, when we talk about cables we assume they are well built, have the required shielding for the use they are going to get, and arenot broken or have any defect.

Plus there is a big step between $10 and $100

EDIT: I also found a XLR female to Jack from different brands:

1st one costs ~5€ - 1 meter long and has standard plugs. The other one costs ~6.5€ - 5 meter and Neutrik jacks. The price difference is so small that the importance there is either length needed or quality of the product.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #68 of 109
Quote:

You be sure an let us know when it would be appropriate to jump in a point out the fact that the majority of you guys don't use Rat Shack specials for a buck fifty, OK?

Will you promise not to post until we do?

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have to try to do anything - I already said I use the freebies that come with gear and/or radio shack stuff, and I don't recall stating that everything the shack sold was $30.

Quote:

In fact i think $4.69 is as cheap as they go for an rca-rca stereo interconnect online now.

And if you actually -enter- a radioshack, as often as not all they carry is monster cable

You said nothing is as cheap as I mentioned, 16 rca to rca cables at the website I mentioned are 1.60 ea. delivered. For everyone here, this means a 30 dollar cable is a waste of money according to nonbeliever logic.

Quote:

You have misattributed the "$30 cables are better than freebies but more money is a waste" position to me.

You mis-attributed that to yourself instead of letting it be for everyone who is a nonbeliever.

Quote:

It is pretty damn difficult to find a $1.10 cable locally, you'll get gouged for $7 at least.

Your getting gouged for convenience doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion.

Quote:

Also, your $1.10 link is out of stock until yesterday, and is $8.17 with shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

16 RCA to RCA cables at the website I mentioned are 1.60 delivered.

BTW, you do need to do something if you want to make a point, what is your point anyway? That cables cost more than 1.50? Even if that were true what would that have to do with with this thread?

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #70 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you promise not to post until we do?

No, you just insured I will be here to highlight any flaws in nonbeliever logic.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #71 of 109
Quote:

You said nothing is as cheap as I mentioned, 16 rca to rca cables at the website I mentioned are 1.60 ea. delivered. For everyone here, this means a 30 dollar cable is a waste of money according to nonbeliever logic.

You mis-attributed that to yourself instead of letting it be for everyone who is a nonbeliever.

Your getting gouged for convenience doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion.

BTW, you do need to do something if you want to make a point, what is your point anyway? That cables cost more than 1.50? Even if that were true what would that have to do with with this thread?

This thread was originally about what cable people used - though we haven't been discussing that for some time.

Shipping from that site for the cable you linked was $7.07 - all I did was click the link to buy it and entered my zip code. (If you don't enter the zip code it won't estimate shipping, but you'll have to pay it none the less)

However, I am sure that somewhere one can find a cheaper deal if you hunt enough. My point (which you missed) was that even radio shack doesn't carry radio shack cheapies anymore, at least not of the sort most people think of when they think of radio shack cheapies.

In case you remain confused: I think $30 BJC cables are a waste of money. I use zip cord for speaker wire. I use cheapie freebie interconnects. I think that someone buying BJC cable is making the same error that someone buying something from pear or monster or whichever boutique cable vendor you wish is, only it just happens to be a (slightly or not-so-slightly) less expensive error.

You still misattributed a position without any justification. You may not like me, but that doesn't make your attribution valid. Follow up with an ad hominem if you wish, but you can't paint two different groups you don't agree with with the same broad strokes and then complain about the poor logic of those same groups.

Do you have a point other than the fact that everyone who doesn't agree with you is doing it wrong?

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #72 of 109
Quote:

Somebody needs to beat 'the law of diminishing returns' into your head with a brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, importance of cables have been discussed excessively on Head-Fi and i don't want to start another war over this. i'm just interested what cables do non-believers use for interconnects? do you grab the cheapest ones or how much do you spent on them? name the brand, specific model and how much did you pay. thanks
beerchug.gif

Cables should be well shielded.
They should hit a minimum level of conductivity.
They should come in under a maximum level of capacitance.
They should have an appropriate level of build quality.

Anything less isn't cutting the mustard. Anything more is a waste of money. I use BJC LC-1 and it fits these criteria very nicely.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

This is where I make the point that the majority of you nonbelievers dont use the cheapest cable you can find. <~~~POINT MADE

Quote:

frown.gif

mad.gif

This is where you bring up the price of cables which really had nothing to do with the thread or what I was saying, even though it was me who you were quoting.

Quote:

3ft (2) RCA Male to (2) RCA Male Audio Patch Cable, Gold Plated Connectors

$1.10

Monster® THX-Certified 4-Ft. RCA Audio Cable - RadioShack.com

7 dollars does not = 30

Sorry but you will have to try harder than that. The price thing is getting you no where.

That is where I point out that you are wrong about the prices and that your pricing discussion has nothing to do with the thread!!!

Quote:

I don't have to try to do anything - I already said I use the freebies that come with gear and/or radio shack stuff, and I don't recall stating that everything the shack sold was $30.<~~I never said everything they sold was 30 dollars!!!

You have misattributed the "$30 cables are better than freebies but more money is a waste" position to me.<~~I have never stated that position to any one ever!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

You said nothing is as cheap as I mentioned, 16 rca to rca cables at the website I mentioned are 1.60 ea. delivered. For everyone here, this means a 30 dollar cable is a waste of money according to nonbeliever logic.<~~~RE-READ CAREFULLY.

Quote:

This post is where I disected your last post to show you where your logic was breaking down. You can aquire them for less than a dollar if you purchase enough of them. 7 dollars for 16 is not the same at 7 dollars for 1 but they sell them that way!!!,,,16 comes out to 1.60 per cable dude!!!

Quote:

You mis-attributed that to yourself instead of letting it be for everyone who is a nonbeliever.<~~~This mistake you made twice.

Quote:

Your getting gouged for convenience doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion.<~~~And still has nothng to do with this discussion. Random bits of off topic logic will not make a point.

Quote:

This thread was originally about what cable people used - though we haven't been discussing that for some time.

Shipping from that site for the cable you linked was $7.07 - all I did was click the link to buy it and entered my zip code. (If you don't enter the zip code it won't estimate shipping, but you'll have to pay it none the less) <~~~This was address more than once already. Do you not speak english?

Quote:

However, I am sure that somewhere one can find a cheaper deal if you hunt enough. My point (which you missed) was that even radio shack doesn't carry radio shack cheapies anymore, at least not of the sort most people think of when they think of radio shack cheapies.<~~~I responed to this in saying that they can be had cheaper than you claim and that even if it is 6 bucks per cable that people claiming they bought a 30 dollar cable are full of **** and contradict their own logic.

Quote:

In case you remain confused:<~~Anyone with grade school reading capabilities can see I am not the one who is confused.

Quote:

I think $30 BJC cables are a waste of money. I use zip cord for speaker wire. I use cheapie freebie interconnects. I think that someone buying BJC cable is making the same error that someone buying something from pear or monster or whichever boutique cable vendor you wish is, only it just happens to be a (slightly or not-so-slightly) less expensive error.<~~Now you are making my point for me and dont even know it.

Quote:

You still misattributed a position without any justification. You may not like me, but that doesn't make your attribution valid. Follow up with an ad hominem if you wish, but you can't paint two different groups you don't agree with with the same broad strokes and then complain about the poor logic of those same groups. <~~I never misattributed anything to you except not being able to understand what you read. This is the second time you made that mistake.

Quote:

Do you have a point other than the fact that everyone who doesn't agree with you is doing it wrong? <~~~You speak of yourself and dont even realize it.

Point was made in post # 61 and it flew right over your head. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5772048-post61.html

Suggested reading for you: Welcome to Reading Is Fundamental <~~Look these people up, I am sure they can help you. Maybe.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #74 of 109
Quote:

Suggested reading for you: Welcome to Reading Is Fundamental <~~Look these people up, I am sure they can help you. Maybe.

I'll see that, and raise you Unskilled and Unaware of It

Say it with me slowly a few times......
Law of diminishing returns.

There is NO problem with being a cable 'non-believer' and still demanding a rational, scientific, minimum level of quality for physically measurable parameters.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #75 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody needs to beat 'the law of diminishing returns' into your head with a brick.

I am sure you are comfortable proclaiming where the point of diminishing returns is for everyone.

You will need more than a brick son.

Maybe you missed my thread about this very thing where I recommended 10 percent of your total system cost as a good place to start and the poll majority was 5 percent.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ca...0/#post5407239

Not exactly recommending the most expensive cables was I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back