What I think... GS1000 vs RS1 vs RS2... and vs SR80.
Aug 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by erd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I'll take some hot Grado foursome action when I get home just for you... but don't go showing it off to your girlfriend though...

Goody! Unseemly headphone photo action is my favorite kind
regular_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of Grado newbies, who ask about the RS2 have been asked to skip over and go directly to the RS1.

As a Grado newbie, I was given this advice, and I did not heed it. After the new toy syndrome wore off with the RS2i, I was ultimately fairly disappointed with the headphone, although I admit they are attractive. The disappointment kicked in when I directly compared them to my SR125 and could barely discern a difference. Not to be discouraged, I bought the SR325is. Much better for me. I still may sell them because of the discomfort, but at least I can tell a difference from the SR125. Then of course I bought the SR225i to see what that one's all about. This is the genius of Grado's market positioning.

OP: Thanks very much for your post. A great read.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 37
In my opinion, this review is missing something quite major: the original pads that used to ship with every Grado, the "flat pads". In my opinion, almost every Grado needs these pads. There are a few that sound better with bowls, like the RS-2's and the HF-1's, since they're newer and the treble is toned down, but the RS-1's were originally built and shipped with flats, hence, they sound better with flats (although I can't throw on "to this day", because the RS-1's have changed now).

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #20 of 37
Interesting read, Erd, you rock Dude and I very much liked how your review flowed so naturally--I found it very gradoish meaning it was very textured...I love the Grado's....they perplex me so and allow evocation of such emotion. I only have the GS1000, the RS-1 and the SR60 but I could not justify going for the RS-2 due to the fact that the HF-2 should fill my void...if it ever gets here.

Now....what about recabled Grados with SAA or Moon audio(Black Dragon)....I'm just thankful that Grados are around...they allow me to rock. I mean...they are the garage bands of headphones.

I'd like to add that in my humble opinion I find very small similarities between my SR60, RS-1 and the GS1000s...very minute similarities and I've never felt that I was, as some love to intimate, cheated....I truly feel that my RS-1s are 10 times better than my 60s.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 37
Great review! Very entertaining, great flow, and not contrived sounding in the least. I laughed out loud a few times, and that always helps to keep people interested. And that's good, because it was also informative. Good stuff!
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now....what about recabled Grados with SAA or Moon audio(Black Dragon)....I'm just thankful that Grados are around...they allow me to rock. I mean...they are the garage bands of headphones.

I haven't tried the SAA cables, so cannot judge but comparing the stock GS1000 to the Black Dragon recabled pair several times showed that the stock cable is better. Black Dragon removes some nuances from music giving impression of better clarity. So it's a nonsense to pay extra for making things worse.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goody! Unseemly headphone photo action is my favorite kind
regular_smile .gif

Here you go, hot Grado-on-Grado action shots. I even include a close up picture so you can see the action better. Enjoy.

And thank you everyone for all the positive feedback. If I have the opportunities to listen to more headphones or try out different cables/pads, I'll definitely write about it here
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the SAA cables, so cannot judge but comparing the stock GS1000 to the Black Dragon recabled pair several times showed that the stock cable is better. Black Dragon removes some nuances from music giving impression of better clarity. So it's a nonsense to pay extra for making things worse.

Interesting. I found the Black Dragon cable worth every penny in balancing the sound across the spectrum and extracting more detail than the stock cable. I would never revert to the stock cable again.

I guess different ears hear things differently
icon10.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #28 of 37
I have an RS2 and SR325is. I really like them both. They're very similar sounding, but the SR325is definitely has the edge in brightness and is more dependent on good amp'ing to control its sound.

I find that these are two very under-rated headphones on Head-Fi.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #29 of 37
Would the proper upgrade path for the SR225i and SR325i be the RS2i and RS1i respectively?

aaaaand...

How does the LDI+ drive the RS2i, GS1000, etc?

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyfüd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the proper upgrade path for the SR225i and SR325i be the RS2i and RS1i respectively?

aaaaand...

How does the LDI+ drive the RS2i, GS1000, etc?

Hard to say. The buttonless RS2 is a different beast altogether (bassy, less trebly, but slightly nasal). I actually thought the buttonless RS2 was the upgrade path from the SR80, and the buttonless RS1 the upgrade path from the SR325i. I digress, but the buttoned RS1 circa 1998 didn't seem to have the "treble assault" of the recent buttonless RS1. I haven't heard any of the "i" versions though, but they are supposed to be less trebly overall.

Also all Grados tend to be easy to drive provided your amp's output is low impedance and can push out sufficient current for your desired listening level. I would tend to spend my money toward a really good source vs. a mega expensive amp (that can always come later). You will benefit from a good powerful amp, but I feel that you get more for your money with a better source with Grados - at least initially. I actually returned a Headroom Balanced Amp and instead made some modifications my DAC, which got me amazingly much better sonic results for much less money.

I'm not sure about the GS1000... I've read they are a bit more difficult to drive can benefit more from amp upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back