What headphones work best with the WA2
post-7687073
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 43

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
346
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Posts
346
Likes
13
Everyone asks what amp with this or that headphone, I want to go the other way.  I have a WA2 and want to know what headphones work best with it. 
 
I listen to almost everything except for straight ahead rap and AM radio country.
 
Like to get both closed and open can recommendations
 
     Share This Post       
post-7687588
Post #2 of 43

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,556
Reaction score
3,423
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,556
Likes
3,423
T1s, HD800s, and surprisingly the LCD-2s too.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7689249
Post #3 of 43

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
346
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Posts
346
Likes
13
Thanks any closed that you can recommend
 
     Share This Post       
post-7690043
Post #4 of 43

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,556
Reaction score
3,423
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,556
Likes
3,423


Quote:
Thanks any closed that you can recommend


Not with the WA2. Most closed cans are low impedance and not ideal for OTL amps.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7691374
Post #6 of 43

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
4,637
Reaction score
214
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Posts
4,637
Likes
214
"not ideal" doesn't mean its bad. I read a raving review of the closed Denon D7000's - and they loved them most with the WA2
 
and i even found the links :)
 
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0709/woo_audio_2.htm
 
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/denon-ah-d7000-headphones-review-49299396/
 
but beware, R_burke, - the D7000 doesn't isolate much. But few high end closed phones do, I believe.
 
Anyway - do not let the "OTL only for high imp phones scare you. WA2 and LCD-2 is supposed to be a good match - the infamous mr Skylab here on headfi even found WA2 driving the current-hungry HE6 satisfactory :))
 
Quote:
Not with the WA2. Most closed cans are low impedance and not ideal for OTL amps.


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7691529
Post #7 of 43

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
346
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Posts
346
Likes
13


 
Quote:
"not ideal" doesn't mean its bad. I read a raving review of the closed Denon D7000's - and they loved them most with the WA2
 
and i even found the links :)
 
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0709/woo_audio_2.htm
 
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/denon-ah-d7000-headphones-review-49299396/
 
but beware, R_burke, - the D7000 doesn't isolate much. But few high end closed phones do, I believe.
 
Anyway - do not let the "OTL only for high imp phones scare you. WA2 and LCD-2 is supposed to be a good match - the infamous mr Skylab here on headfi even found WA2 driving the current-hungry HE6 satisfactory :))
 


 

I wondered about this when I saw the recommendation for LCD-2, it's low resistance.  Right now it's kind of a toss up between the LA7000 and the LCD-2, on the one hand I want isolation, but what I really want is the best all around sound - not particularly flavored one way or another
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7692856
Post #8 of 43

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,556
Reaction score
3,423
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,556
Likes
3,423


Quote:
"not ideal" doesn't mean its bad. I read a raving review of the closed Denon D7000's - and they loved them most with the WA2
 
and i even found the links :)
 
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0709/woo_audio_2.htm
 
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/denon-ah-d7000-headphones-review-49299396/
 
but beware, R_burke, - the D7000 doesn't isolate much. But few high end closed phones do, I believe.
 
Anyway - do not let the "OTL only for high imp phones scare you. WA2 and LCD-2 is supposed to be a good match - the infamous mr Skylab here on headfi even found WA2 driving the current-hungry HE6 satisfactory :))
 


 


Actually it sounded good, just that I have heard the Ed. 8s better on other amps (with lower output impedance).


Quote:
 

I wondered about this when I saw the recommendation for LCD-2, it's low resistance.  Right now it's kind of a toss up between the LA7000 and the LCD-2, on the one hand I want isolation, but what I really want is the best all around sound - not particularly flavored one way or another
 
 

The LCD-2s are planars and damping factor requirements are not the same as with low impedance dynamic headphones.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7783342
Post #10 of 43

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
4,637
Reaction score
214
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Posts
4,637
Likes
214
     Share This Post       
post-8047097
Post #11 of 43

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
4,637
Reaction score
214
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Posts
4,637
Likes
214
 
Well - I have had the LCD-2 (rev.1) here for a couple of days now, and it pairs REALLY well with the WA2 IMO. Just love it! Exceptional lushydelicoiusness and deep soundstage
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8047490
Post #12 of 43

Draygonn

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
106
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Posts
1,221
Likes
106
Good to hear.  Several people have said the LCD-2 is a great compliment to the HD800.  I'm planning on using Thunderpants for that role so I've been listening to my modded Fostex's on the WA2 a lot recently. So smooth

 
I listened to an HE-500 on the WA2 for about an hour and they were a good pairing.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8047610
Post #13 of 43

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,556
Reaction score
3,423
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,556
Likes
3,423


Quote:
 
Well - I have had the LCD-2 (rev.1) here for a couple of days now, and it pairs REALLY well with the WA2 IMO. Just love it! Exceptional lushydelicoiusness and deep soundstage
 
 

Surprisingly good to my ears.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8047647
Post #14 of 43

Rawrbington

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
23
Joined
May 12, 2011
Posts
1,224
Likes
23
im interested in either the
LCD2
HE 500
or maybe
the T1
to go with my wa2
 
@Draygonn, with the HE500 did you ever find the WA2 just wasn't enough to really drive them?  i'd hate to drop 600$ or so on the he500 or even more on the LCD2 if they are just too power hungry.
cause i think the wa2 is only about 400 mW at 40 ohms or so
 
also great info there ardilla.  i love you guys.
its like a wealth of knowledge from these woo peoples
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8047683
Post #15 of 43

Rizlaw

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
146
Reaction score
28
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Posts
146
Likes
28
My vote goes for the LCD-2.1. I just put the "Vegan" earpads on it and I like it even better. My efforts are noted in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586157/audeze-lcd-2-vegan-earpads-feedback-installation-mini-review
 
I think the LCD-2 sounds "surpisingly good" on the WA2 with Sylvannia 7326 tubes. More than enough power IMO. I rarely, if ever, exceed 12 o'clock on the volume.
 
My Beyerdynamic DT-990 also sound very good.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top