What headphones to get for around $150
Jun 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

alfrediu190

New Head-Fier
Guys i really need some advice. I like listening to jazz music, rock, and r&b and i will probably use the headphones with a desktop and an amp.

What headphones and amp should i buy???? im going to america this summer.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 8
I had the ESW9As for a while.  They actually got me to listen to Jazz!  AMAZING.  The only difficulty I had was finding a comfortable spot on the ears (Got big ones).  Frank Sinatra was so clear. His voice rumbled and soared.  It is quite amazing how much sound came out of such a small package.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Get a pair of Grado SR80i with G-cush earpads to go along with them. They do not need an amp, amps do not help Grado at all

Or
If you were thinking of bundling an amp and headphones, just spend the remainder and get some Grado SR325i with the G-cush earpads. About $350

and I would say, if you needed and amp, to get the FiiO E7+E9 combo for about $230

But grado don't need an amp and will work great as studio or portable.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 8
My personal favorite right now is the $99 KRK KNS-6400 with the 8400 memory foam pads ($20). These don't need an amp at all and these things sure have some good bass, but are still more of a studio monitor. I doubt a better headphone exists under $99 that's unamped. I haven't heard it yet.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 8
That's right around the price range of the legendary M50's. Everyone loves their M50s.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
That's right around the price range of the legendary M50's. Everyone loves their M50s.

Too much bass for what he's asking

People like them because they were their first headphones, and initial impressions are very short. After a while, they get obnoxiously bass overkill

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Too much bass for what he's asking

People like them because they were their first headphones, and initial impressions are very short. After a while, they get obnoxiously bass overkill

Pff. I haven't heard of anything of that sort. They're no where near bass overkill untill you've heard the pro700mk2's.  I have friends who have purchased M50's as their third pair of cans and have no interest in getting rid of them. I think you're making your opinion's everyone else.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Pff. I haven't heard of anything of that sort. They're no where near bass overkill untill you've heard the pro700mk2's.  I have friends who have purchased M50's as their third pair of cans and have no interest in getting rid of them. I think you're making your opinion's everyone else.

It's a popular choice of two headphones as starters (meaning a large amount of people choose them, not meaning everyone) Either Grado of M50's

My first was Grado, and now I'm addicted.

Have you heard of this thing called a period? (.) <--- that was a example for your knowledge. This end the statement or idea spoken and is meant to separate sentences to allow others not to be confused by the structure of the rest of the paragraph.

In my opinion, which is what I'm saying, is that after a while that bass starts to take over. For someone who would be into a Grado soundstructure, goind bassy would be overkill. I am not saying that the M50's are bassy by an means, there are others out there that will be bass overkill, but for someone that isn't a basshead, they are bass overkill.

I even see my Grados to be too bass heavy. My V6's are the "bass" oriented headphone in my collection, and they are more flat then anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back