What headphones should I buy?
Sep 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

itzzjason

New Head-Fier
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. Noob here (this is my first post)

As the title says, what headphones should I buy?

-It'll be used on my computer

-Used for:
        movies/tv shows
        music
            -rap, hip hop, rock (pretty much anything new and/or on the radio like lady gaga, lupe fiasco, bruno mars, etc)
            -techno, trance, house
        games

Budget: 200 USD or less

Preference:
-Bass
-Sound quality
-Durability/build quality

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 21
If you want to go the budget route but still get some kickass sound: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Step-Monitor/dp/B004MMEI8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316560410&sr=8-1

I'm listening to The Game with them right now.  The bass is full but not necessarily overpowering.  And the build quality for 30 bucks is great. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 21
Man, there are a lot of great options out there if you've got a budget up to $200!  Try zipping through this thread and see if you see some folks with similar taste, and it's another great place to ask some questions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Man, there are a lot of great options out there if you've got a budget up to $200!  Try zipping through this thread and see if you see some folks with similar taste, and it's another great place to ask some questions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

If you want something that's perfect for portability as well then consider the Koss Porta Pro :wink: 

Cheap & cheerful + bass aplenty! Very highly regarded too for the money.

shipsupt - i checked there. but it's too jumbled up and too many pages. and i don't see every or most headphones listed
thommohawk - no thanks. i want something around the ears and with, i believe it's called, noise isolation

everyone else, thanks for the suggestions

but how come you guys are recommending different headphones than other people in other forums
so far, i've been recommended:
audio technica a700
audio technica a900
audio technica ad700
audio technica ad900
sennheiser hd555
denon's
ultrasone's
jvc harx700
beyerdynamic dt770
beyerdynamic dt990
grado's
shure's
panasonic htf600
superlux hd668b
audio technica m50
and many more...

does anyone know THE best headphones that suits me?

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 21
That's sort of a hard question to answer, because ultimately you have to decide yourself what sounds good and what doesn't.  Just look at the wide variety presented to you.  In my opinion its also hard to find a headphone that does everything really well.  

What I can tell you is that since you want noise isolation, the open backed cans are not your cup of tea.  I also don't particularly like the bass response of the Grado SR60i (though I think they look great).

Hopefully that can cut your list down a bit.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 21
I've had the Grado SR80i headphones for a couple of years now.  They are incredible.  Best headphones for your money.  Read all the oneline tech. reviews.  Product of the Year.  Best Headphone under $150.  Best At-Home Headphone. And this is compared to hundreds of other headphones.

I bought them after trying out several others for around the same money (Bose, Sennheiser, AKG, ATH, Beyer, Sony), and none of them even came close to the Grados.  Not even close.

Buy them.  You'll never regret it. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:

thommohawk - no thanks. i want something around the ears and with, i believe it's called, noise isolation

everyone else, thanks for the suggestions

does anyone know THE best headphones that suits me?

Wow, talk about ungrateful.....listen take my suggestion or don't take my suggestion, but don't try and make a point of singling me out to be the one who doesn't know what he's  talking about when all I'm trying to do is to help you out. 

As for THE best headphones that suits you ? Best answer I can give at this point is to do your own research and figure it out for yourself.....truthful answer. Harsh reality.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 21
Tommohawk, he knows that you know what you're talking about, he's just limiting his choices to the ones that has noise isolation. He rejected your notion maturely, I hope you understand that he expects you to receive the rejection maturely as well.

itzzjason, I would recommend you Audio Technica PRO700MK2 but the clamp force is very high. The bass response is phenomenal as it is intended to be used by DJs in loud clubs. If that can't satisfy your bass lust then I don't know what will.

Just take note that its very tight. Very best.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 21
Hey Jason, perhaps check out the UE6000, it's right at the $200 mark but it has optional noise cancelling (I use it more like a bass boost, since NC does that) and isolates quite well.

The UE6000 is circumaural and has very listenable mids and highs to go along with punchy bass (in passive mode) - I don't feel as if I'm missing out on any details or being cheated just because it's a warm-sounding headphone.

As for their durability, they are made of a pretty sturdy plastic, with a metal frame, and come with a useful case to protect them. You shouldn't need to amp them, so just the headphone will do nicely unless you want a better DAC.

The Beyer DT770, as recommended by Malveaux, is a better-sounding, slightly less portable alternative. It's a great choice for a closed headphone (since you want noise isolation, I think closed is the way to go).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back