What headphones for this kind of music? High budget
Oct 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wizia

100+ Head-Fier
After months of thinking about buying new things and then realizing it might not be worth it (I guess most people here have feeling that way sometimes). I've decided it's time to upgrade my current audio equipment.

This time I only need headphones. I plan on upgrading both DAC and amp at Christmas but let's focus on the headphone part for now.

I'm from Europe and prices differ a bit here. I'll say what my budget is but I think it's better to suggest models and then I'll look if my wallet can afford it. I have 800€ to spent and that can get me a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Denon D7000...
Again, that would be +$1000 but I'd rather buy whatever-it-is in Europe. Custom taxes hit very hard where I live if I buy overseas.

So now, the important stuff. I mostly listen to all genres but classical (like it, tho), jazz or blues. I'll say my favourites would be electronic (house, dance, trance, hardcore), pop, rock and some rnb. Here are a few examples of music I like listening to:

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 11
My first reaction would be to find a place where you can try these cans for yourself.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 11
If I was to recommend something based on the info provided, I'd say try to get the Audeze LCD-2. 
Note however that it's not only a matter of the genres you listen to, but also sound signature preferences. The LCD-2 is a balance of warmth and precision, while the HD800 is more cold and analytical. Check the HD800 if you can, and if that sounds too bright and cold, then the LCD-2 should work well for you.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 11
One very important thing I didn't mention is my current headphones. I'm getting rid of them but maybe it can give some indications.

Beyerdynamic DT880 (very good overall, comfy and good sound) -> maybe T1's?
AKG K701 (barely used them. They lacked punch for electro imo)

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
One very important thing I didn't mention is my current headphones. I'm getting rid of them but maybe it can give some indications.

Beyerdynamic DT880 (very good overall, comfy and good sound) -> maybe T1's?
AKG K701 (barely used them. They lacked punch for electro imo)

LCD2 would probably be nice if you are good with having an open headphone. They will have that low end punch that I think you are talking about in electro. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 11
No chance of trying any high end phones here. That sucks, let's see what others have to say.

The Audeze are very expensive 1000€ so unless I find some 2nd hand they are not an option.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Ultrasone Pro900

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 11
I'd say that if over 75% of the music you listen is bass heavy (eletro, house, etc), and if you are crazy about lots of bass with lots of impact, then the ultrasone Pro900 would be a great choice (coupled with some Mark Lawton Denon Pads).

Otherwise, run away from them... with your budget you can get awesome headphones, much less biased towards one music genre.
I think the D7000 would be the next logical choice... it has a great sound throught the spectrum and great bass, without being overbearing.

I'd guess the Sig Pro is awesome too, based on my experience with other lower-grade 'sones. However, they all sound too 'electronic' rather than natural, so if I couldn't try any headphone, I'd go with the Denons.
I haven't tried the T1 or the LCD.

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back