What Headphones do you recommend for my budget/musical tastes?
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dwig

New Head-Fier
I recently received a pair of $150 Bose over the ear phones as a gift. I feel like they don't sound that great, and I have always felt Bose products are overrated.

My budget is 150-200. I listen to bass heavy music maybe 50% of the time (Hip-Hop, Dub Step, Rap). I also listen to Rock quite a bit. I also want a headphone that is comfortable and doesn't let out a ton of sound when turned up. I hate those library situations were someone is blasting their music on their headphones. The bose headphones I have lack the bass I want. I also don't like the beats line of phones. To me they sound terrible when listening to rock. What recommendations do you have?

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi!

It's nice to see someone else that can spot the deficiencies of the Beats and Bose headphones. It doesn't take much to find headphones that offer better soundquality.

The ATH M50 fits your needs perfectly here, since they not only have excellent bass (I say this as a fellow hip-hop/dubstep listener), but fold up for portable use and isolate rather well. If you could find a used pair (they'd be out of your price range otherwise), you should also consider the Denon D2000, which is an upgrade from the M50 in terms of soundstage and detail. They do, however, leak sound more than most other closed cans.

FWIR the SRH840 would probably also be a good fit here, but I don't think they're really the type of 'phones that you would wear in public, or for extended periods.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 6
M50's or indeed D2000's if you're willing to pay that price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back