What headphones are you currently rocking?
Dec 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #691 of 1,757
Having a Blues night on the HE-500's!
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #693 of 1,757
K501s, like usual. Did a minor EQ tweak, and now harmonicas no longer shred my ears.

I've had my suspicions that my amp is just a touch forward in this region, but now I'm like 90% certain. Can't really say for certain until I have a chance to try the headphones on another amp, though.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #694 of 1,757
Quote:
Of all things, a MEElectronics S6 (sports-oriented variant of the M6). Stock, they're underwhelming. Once the giant bass boost and the spike they seem to have put at around 4.75kHz are EQ'ed away, they're surprisingly good for a $20 IEM.

Full agreement there. I had the M6 just for fun for awhile, and was impressed when I sucked the bass out of it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #695 of 1,757
Quote:
Work - Audeze LC-2 paired with E7/E9 combo (open to suggestions on amp recommendations)

Try the new Schiit combo, the Modi and Magni. round $200 for both.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #697 of 1,757
I've got my Senn HD380 Pros plugged into the headphone jack on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus rocking Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos. The 380s don't get much mention around here but they sound wonderful to someone like me who has tinnitus.

I remove the cable and wear them over my IE7s for studio work. Great isolation and quite comfortable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #698 of 1,757
Ugh, I have some $30 Sennheisers.  I thought they were ok but then my coworker shoved a pair of Denon D5000's at me and now I'm looking for some decent mid-level set of 'phones.  Curse my materialism!  Hoping to score a D2000 but they're not super available :frowning2:.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #699 of 1,757
I recently picked up a set of modded Fostex T20RPs, they sound awesome, but I'm thinking of giving it the Scorpion upgrade treatment..

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #700 of 1,757
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation.  But will that be much better than the E7/E9 combo?  I've already dropped $150 for the E7/E9 and don't mind spending spending 2x / 3x more money if it means I'll have something good that I won't need to upgrade from.

I haven't exactly tried them yet but I have the Lyr at home and that's been beautiful for the LCDs so far. with the power the Modi/Magni combo can do I bet it'll be superb.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #701 of 1,757
I haven't exactly tried them yet but I have the Lyr at home and that's been beautiful for the LCDs so far. with the power the Modi/Magni combo can do I bet it'll be superb.

Very big difference between a tube hybrid and an SS amp...:xf_eek:

The E9 is a fine amplifier. :)

My most recent listening was with ye olde KTX Pro.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #702 of 1,757
Quote:
Very big difference between a tube hybrid and an SS amp...
redface.gif

The E9 is a fine amplifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

My most recent listening was with ye olde KTX Pro.

I've never tried the E9 with the LCD-3s, been using my Dragonfly on them and they've been superb.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #703 of 1,757
I've never tried the E9 with the LCD-3s, been using my Dragonfly on them and they've been superb.

The shame here is that I've never tried the E9 with the LCD-3s either, but I will say that I have never been disappointed by the E9 excepting the noisy pots that some of them have (which only matters when you're changing the volume). There's no reason they shouldn't perform with a VERY stable planar though, especially if Dragonfly can do it.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #704 of 1,757
Welp, I busted out the TBSE to test a track for someone, and ended up keeping them on, and have been head-bobbing listening to Rosenrot for the last 30 minutes. I'm sure there's some sacrilege I'm committing by listening to these guys:

On headphones designed to commemorate this guy:

But it sounds really really good, and I'm not taking'em off. :cool:

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #705 of 1,757
Quote:
Welp, I busted out the TBSE to test a track for someone, and ended up keeping them on, and have been head-bobbing listening to Rosenrot for the last 30 minutes. I'm sure there's some sacrilege I'm committing by listening to these guys:

On headphones designed to commemorate this guy:

But it sounds really really good, and I'm not taking'em off.
cool.gif

I think there's some kind of code of nature you're violating there, but whatever. Guess ol' Tony's just going to have to learn to get along with the neighbors. Imagine if somebody switched the free Tony Bennett downloads you get with the headphones with Rosenrot, but kept the names the same. 
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's amazing how, despite all the money we tend to spend on this stuff, something relatively inexpensive can still be enjoyable. That's how you know you're not jaded or prejudiced, when you can pick up a sub-$100 headphone and really get into it. Or, like me last night in the local *Meijer with my S6 and Clip Zip, fighting the urge to break out in headbopping to synthpop or grooving to Steely Dan. Total cost of that setup: $55, plus the time to run them through my usual EQ process.

I'd love to try that TBSE--or the Pro DJ 100 it's based on. I believe the latter has quite a few followers around here (including a cute white puppy in glasses), and from what I understand it's available for listening at some Best Buys. Must take a trip to one of the two near my house to find out.

*Yes, I'm from Michigan. I guess that probably should be Meijers, then, shouldn't it? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back