What headphones are best for me?
Jan 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 26
Get the Brainwavz HM5. Compared to M50 people say they are neutral sounding which is good for recording. At $120 or less they are a steal and supposedly very comfortable. 

The DT770 would be the other consideration and I know they are bassy and comfortable but other than that I can't be much help. Tons and tons of info on them if you do a simple search though. 

As for the ATH-M50, which I own, they isolate well for public use, are built like a tank, and sound good with most all types of music. However their mids have been described as recessed and for rock music that is not really a good thing. Don't get me wrong rock sounds good on these but a headphone like the HM5 were the mids are not as recessed might be better for rock, as well as the neutral sound being good for recording. 

Grado is highly recommended for rock music. Make sure to demo them before buying as their sound signature is either love or hate. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #17 of 26
I like to rock with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Nick R.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) has a nice sound and a low price, (Amazon and Creative Labs).

KRK KNS 8400 have gotten good review and the price is about half your budget.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:

Nick R.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) has a nice sound and a low price, (Amazon and Creative Labs).

KRK KNS 8400 have gotten good review and the price is about half your budget.

Which Beyers are good with rock..like actualy good

i noticed you recommend the CAL's a lot..are tehy based of any headphones?

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Which Beyers are good with rock..like actualy good
i noticed you recommend the CAL's a lot..are tehy based of any headphones?

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohms are very bassy, I like their thump.
Which are best for Rock, good question?
The CALs  have good sound, easy to drive, not too bulky
High price is $90-$100, currently going for $65-$70.
The CALs use the same internals as the Denon AD-D1001.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohms are very bassy, I like their thump.
Which are best for Rock, good question?
The CALs  have good sound, easy to drive, not too bulky
High price is $90-$100, currently going for $65-$70.
The CALs use the same internals as the Denon AD-D1001.

that's what i heard. Beyer's are really not "rcok" headphones but i KNOWwhat you mean :) my HFI 580's are bassy heapdhones but i just LOVE teh thump from the drums tehy give off. and since they are audiophile heapdhones. the lows don't overpass /overtake the highs or mdis. its just perfect. however for rock "strictly" Beyers are not "rock"headphones
The ultrasone's are better than beyers for rock imo since they have good mids and highs and tight low end.

I would say Grado's are best for rock. but they are open

I also heard the CAL's use the AD1001 internals :) i'm past the point of AHD 10001 though. my next purchase is in the AHD2000 or HD650 range :)

I see you have the Samson SR850's :) heard tehy are really good $50 headphones. i have read many many reveiws on them

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
I see you have the Samson SR850's :) heard they are really good $50 headphones. i have read many many reveiws on them

I paid $40 for my new SR850, off eBay.
The Samson SR850 are something I want to try and there are great bang for the buck.
And I can easily recommend them to someone on a low budget.
But they really do not have the quality of my more expensive headphones.
I usually just use my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, second best is the Senn HD-558s, 
every once in a while I will use the Panasonic RP-HTF-600-S with Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads (nice bass).

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
I paid $40 for my new SR850, off eBay.
The Samson SR850 are something I want to try and there are great bang for the buck.
And I can easily recommend them to someone on a low budget.
But they really do not have the quality of my more expensive headphones.
I usually just use my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, second best is the Senn HD-558s, 
every once in a while I will use the Panasonic RP-HTF-600-S with Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads (nice bass).

I recommended the SR850 to a friend...cuz he couldn't afford real headphones. loved them :) if you can't afford headphones and want full sized ones...i say teh sR850's are your best bet also :)

I really haven't gotten into Beyer's >_< the 770(forgot which ohm) was not as liked by some reviewers against the HFI 580

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
I recommended the SR850 to a friend...cuz he couldn't afford real headphones. loved them :) if you can't afford headphones and want full sized ones...i say teh sR850's are your best bet also :)
I really haven't gotten into Beyer's >_< the 770(forgot which ohm) was not as liked by some reviewers against the HFI 580

Beyerdynamic DTs series really need a good headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The DT770 80-Ohm can work decently without a headphone amplifier, but the bass is not that great, unamped.
Where as the Ultrafone HFI-580 sounds better (guessing) unamped.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DTs series really need a good headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The DT770 80-Ohm can work decently without a headphone amplifier, but the bass is not that great, unamped.

Everyone headphone i have used and heard of sounds better amped. Including the HFI 580's (in case u were wondering :) )

I'm getting an E17 sson. and i doubt the 250mW @ 32 Ohms can't try a good number of Beyer's :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
Grado/Allesandro MS2- this is open i know. but grado's are super duper famous for rock...they are THE rock brand. however, rock is what they do best. and they have trouble doing too too well in other fields. not bad, but not as excellent as their rock

I am thinking in the future I might pick up some SR60i's since all I here around here is Grado praise, and they are relatively cheap. But first I want something closed because it is more practical for me.

Quote:

I noticed in your signature that you have the 80 and 250 ohm versions. Which one is better overall. I will buy an amp, probably a FiiO E11, or something similar in size and price if anyone has any recommendations on that also.

Quote:

I think I have pretty much decided on DT770 pros. Now just a matter of weather or not to get the 250 or 80.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
I noticed in your signature that you have the 80 and 250 ohm versions. Which one is better overall. I will buy an amp, probably a FiiO E11, or something similar in size and price if anyone has any recommendations on that also.

I think I have pretty much decided on DT770 pros. Now just a matter of weather or not to get the 250 or 80.

I perfer the 250-Ohm over the 80-Ohm, but the two are not that much different, some like the 80-Ohm better.
I think the 250-Ohm has better clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back