What headphones are best for me?
Dec 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Nick R

New Head-Fier
I just joined here because I am in need of some new headphones and it seems as if you guys have good advice.

I want over-ear headphones, that are closed back, because I don't want sound to be leaking in and out. I want something that has a nice crisp sound, and not to much bass or treble, just a nice even balance. I mostly listen to classic rock, ocassianally, some more metal stuff like Metallica or Pantera.

I will primarily use these for just listening to, so they don't need to be portable. I also have plenty or amps for speakers, but I plan on buying a FiiO e6 mini-amp for use with my iPod. I also play the drums and plan to record them some day.

So far I have narrowed it down to these 4 headphones

-AKG K271 MKII

-Sennheiser  HD 558

-Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 or 250 ohm?)

-Audio-Technica M50

My price range is probably about $250

Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 26

Quote:
I just joined here because I am in need of some new headphones and it seems as if you guys have good advice.

I want over-ear headphones, that are closed back, because I don't want sound to be leaking in and out. I want something that has a nice crisp sound, and not to much bass or treble, just a nice even balance. I mostly listen to classic rock, ocassianally, some more metal stuff like Metallica or Pantera.

I will primarily use these for just listening to, so they don't need to be portable. I also have plenty or amps for speakers, but I plan on buying a FiiO e6 mini-amp for use with my iPod. I also play the drums and plan to record them some day.

I'd recommend the Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 to you for numerous reasons here. You stated that you don't want any range accentuated over others, and these cans are neutral ("balanced"). While they are closed cans, they sound very open, which is great for instrument imaging in rock. The soundstage of the FA-003 and HM5 is phenomenal for the price range. They can be driven on their own by an iPod, but an amp certainly helps, and with the money you save by buying them $100 under your limit you can get a pretty nice portable amp. Also since they're neutral, they'd be great for recording and mixing because you hear exactly what it'll sound like.

The only issue with them is that they're constantly out of stock, so you may have to pre-order a new batch online and wait a bit.

Sincerely,

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 26
If you want closed headphone, you can already remove HD558 from your list.

Quote:
because I don't want sound to be leaking in and out. I want something that has a nice crisp sound, and not to much bass or treble, just a nice even balance.

FA-003 seem a good choice (from reviews), but SRH840 ll be also a very good choice for your taste.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
The Shure's don't look all that comfortable atleast from pictures and reviews.

All depends on your head,lol.

Quote:
The more and more I read, the more I'm liking the DT770's.

Quote:
I want something that has a nice crisp sound, and not to much bass or treble, just a nice even balance.

Its not really the DT770 80 sound siganture,lol.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Those look decent but where do you buy them?

It depends on where you live. If you're in the US, you're pretty much stuck with GD Audiobase for ordering.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
SRH940 is too expensive, and the 840 looks uncomfortable to me. Are the Beyer's not very rock oriented?

i would say so. they are more hip hop and bassy oriented. the higher models can repdoduce rock better but still. 
For rock I would do
Ultrasone HFI 780 -$158
Shure SRH 940/840 teh comofrt on these are a problem with the 840's
Grado/Allesandro MS2- this is open i know. but grado's are super duper famous for rock...they are THE rock brand. however, rock is what they do best. and they have trouble doing too too well in other fields. not bad, but not as excellent as their rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back