What headphones are 'best'? Are dr dre better than sennheiser?
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

mooseling1

New Head-Fier
For anyone (like me) who hates reading 'waffle' the important bits are in bold... The rest of it explains the 'whys, whats, where, whens'
I currently have a pair of sennheiser HD205 headphones that i think are great, but, they are uncomfortable for long journeys, leak quite a lot of sound, and dont keep them much sound out so you hear a lot of background noise. 

So i am looking for a new pair of headphones, i listen to varied music mostly, not just one kind. I do look for clear and sharp sounds from headphones and like everything to be as good as it can from it. 

In this search for good headphones i naturally turned to who i have currently, sennheiser. I have found a few higher range pairs that look good, havent tried them out yet. I also by chance in a shop stumbled across Dr dre headphones, the 'studio' model. For me the plus side is they have noise cancelling built in, but at over twice the price of the sennheisers, are they really worth it?

I would appreciate feedback from people on what dr dre headphones are like (models from past 1 or 2 years) and what they sound like, if they last well. Equally anyone owning a high end pair of sennheisers, i would love to know what model and what you think of them.

Dont worry about giving prices you paid for it, i assume you are mostly american so i will get prices in the wrong currency, and unfortunately everything seems to be cheaper in the USA than UK :/ (well unfortunately for me at least..)

Thanks for your help.

just a quick note the title has 'best', i put the ' ' round it because obviously its subjective. But there should be headphones that are worse and better than others for different reasons.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 55
The money for Dr dre headphones and such is better spent on similarly priced Sennheisers and Beyerdynamic headphones if you want really good sound quality.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 55

Quote:
For anyone (like me) who hates reading 'waffle' the important bits are in bold... The rest of it explains the 'whys, whats, where, whens'
I currently have a pair of sennheiser HD205 headphones that i think are great, but, they are uncomfortable for long journeys, leak quite a lot of sound, and dont keep them much sound out so you hear a lot of background noise. 

So i am looking for a new pair of headphones, i listen to varied music mostly, not just one kind. I do look for clear and sharp sounds from headphones and like everything to be as good as it can from it. 

In this search for good headphones i naturally turned to who i have currently, sennheiser. I have found a few higher range pairs that look good, havent tried them out yet. I also by chance in a shop stumbled across Dr dre headphones, the 'studio' model. For me the plus side is they have noise cancelling built in, but at over twice the price of the sennheisers, are they really worth it?

I would appreciate feedback from people on what dr dre headphones are like (models from past 1 or 2 years) and what they sound like, if they last well. Equally anyone owning a high end pair of sennheisers, i would love to know what model and what you think of them.

Dont worry about giving prices you paid for it, i assume you are mostly american so i will get prices in the wrong currency, and unfortunately everything seems to be cheaper in the USA than UK :/ (well unfortunately for me at least..)

Thanks for your help.

just a quick note the title has 'best', i put the ' ' round it because obviously its subjective. But there should be headphones that are worse and better than others for different reasons.

OK, a no-BS question deserves a no-BS response.

Do you have an Apple Store near you?  If so, go to it and check out the following headphones:

a)Bowers & Wilkins P5
b)Klipsch Image ONE

These two headphones sound dramatically different. Come back to us and tell us which one SOUNDS better to you. Based on that, we can help make a recommendation.

But for God's sake, don't buy anything unless you can return them OR can listen to them first.  

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 55
Do you guys ever search around before posting "Are Beats good?" Sorry for raging, but there are TONS of these threads on here and there are multiple review threads where you can see Beats compared with other headphones.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 55
Try Beyerdynamic if you want clear and sharp sound.

Either DT770, DT880, or DT990 depending on your needs and preferences.

Read here for more info about different model sonic differences : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 55
There really needs to be a sticky about the beats...

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:
Dude is this even a question???? Dr Dre makes the beats who makes sennheiser? lol some guys I never heard of. 

worse than some dude you've never heard of.  some old dude you've never heard of. 
tongue.gif

(Just kidding.  R.I.P. Fritz!)

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 55
You must be new here. If there is a chance you're going to spend cash on the beats, spend it on similarly priced senns (or just about any other brand). Also know whether or not you want closed or open headphones, because senns at that range will have both and you don't want to have an open can for traveling or whatever. Just look around the forums here and see what others suggest in your price range for the music you enjoy.

Do not get the beats.
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back