What headphones are 'best'? Are dr dre better than sennheiser?
Feb 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 55
Forget about Dre x2, my first headphones that i spend more money then my porta pros was the beats.

They look good, they dont sound too bad but there are other options in the price range, like Sennheiser hd 25 1-II  They may not look soo shiny and $$ like the beats but they sound better and they are built like a thank.

The same cant be said about the beats my friend who i sold the beats too says that they simply breaks with normal use those other have the sam experince?
Just my 2 cents.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 55
I am pretty new to the audiophile headphone scene.  I was mostly into speakers before kids.

The Sennheiser HD 25 1-II headphones really got me interested into more than using headphones for background music.  I loved them so much that I did not want to risk taking them out of the house.

Well, I got some Dr Dre Studios during Monster's Friends and Family holiday sale.

To my ears, the HD 25 1-II's sound fuller with tighter bass than the Dr Dre's Studio headphones.  The treble does not balance as well with the midrange or bass.  The treble seems kind of recessed with trance music.

With that being said, I do like to use the Dr Dre's on the go.  They sound is good enough and I really like the portability (fold up design and ipod control).

The Dr Dre studios are not terrible headphones but I think they should be more like $100.

My comparison is based on flac files from a Rockbox Ipod.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 55
I've never extensively listened to the Dr.Dre headphones upto now, however from the listening that I've done, Dr.Dre seems to be lacking in every quality in comparison to the headphones in that price range. To my knowledge, Dr.Dre's are well-known for the aesthetics (which I totally dislike) and the bass, but even the bass just sounds too boomy with no sense of tightness. I would recommend the HD25 over the Dr.Dre's anytime

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 55
I've listened to the Beats and they have no redeeming qualities. Don't bother.

Instead, look at the suggestions here for full-sized closed headphones. You should find something you like. Also, take a look at the various IEMs. You might find something that fits your needs.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #21 of 55

Quote:
Do you guys ever search around before posting "Are Beats good?" Sorry for raging, but there are TONS of these threads on here and there are multiple review threads where you can see Beats compared with other headphones.

That is the problem i am having, no one comes to a conclusion, i have read many of the threads on here about the dr dre but people end up discussing build quality, few people focus on sound quality. And as headphones for me thats whats important.. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #22 of 55
The Beats have terrible sound quality. there, it's settled.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 55
No no, he says too few people talk about the sound. So he needs more people to do that.

The Beats Pro have terrible sound quality. I compared them with Audio Technica's M50--it has better sound for less than half the price. Why is it better? Because the Beats Pro had mids (e.g.: vocals) that sounded unnaturally far away (i.e.: recessed), and the sound in general was muffled. Same songs out of the M50 had no such failings.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #24 of 55
The beats really do sound bad, all you hear is "ssssssssssssssss" from the noise cancelling and ugly bass.

IIRC the beats aren't technically a closed headphone either. If you want something that is portable and won't leak sound there are MUCH better options for the money.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #25 of 55
I think after hearing nothing but complaints about the beats i will go stay with sennheiser or bose or similar. I liked the noise cancelling of the beats, and hated the price.. If they were even only £80 cheaper i would have bought them... 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #26 of 55

Quote:
I think after hearing nothing but complaints about the beats i will go stay with sennheiser or bose or similar. I liked the noise cancelling of the beats, and hated the price.. If they were even only £80 cheaper i would have bought them... 

Just FYI, Bose gets a bad rep around here too. They tend to over-charge for mediocre headphones. Kind of like the beats...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/362633/what-s-so-bad-about-bose

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #27 of 55

Quote:
Just FYI, Bose gets a bad rep around here too. They tend to over-charge for mediocre headphones. Kind of like the beats...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/362633/what-s-so-bad-about-bose

What do you guys like :L No but honestly, if i am spending £200-300 on headphones i dont want to find out in a few months i got the wrong ones... 

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #29 of 55
To be entirely fair, it doesn't matter who likes what. Sound is an objective thing that can be measured but whether the user likes it or not is completely subjective. If you like the sound of certain headphoness, those are the headphones for you. There is no reason that your favortie headphones can't be beats or bose, it's jsut that it'll cost you alot of money for something that is objectively not-great.

And yeah searching will help you find what's popular and why.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #30 of 55
^ no kidding

We like Sennheiser, Denon, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, among others... The search function is how I learned all of this as well as other, more specific, details which helped me choose my new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back