What happened to iGrado?
Dec 1, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm asking for a set of iGrados for Christmas. I love the sound of my 60s and 325s so much I want to have some Grados for portable use.

Heh. My SR225 makes for a great portable, though I did just buy SR60s (mailing out soon I hope) as a proper toss around can.

And... seriously... are people really complaining about the price of iGrados??? At $70 CDN RETAIL, they're $10 cheaper than retail PX100s and, IMO, sound just a little better too.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #47 of 69
I just picked em up at the meet and i have to say im impressed. I returned my KSC75s to use these as my portable setup. I just couldnt belive how nice they sound with my combo (ZVM+Go-Vibev3). I wore them all night last night after leaving the meet. I played poker for about 3 hours (won a all in tourny with pocket 8's) with them on my ears the whole time. Mostly playing Jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Connick), everyone that heard them instantly fell in love. Even people at the meet were amazed how nice they sounded. Side by side to me the sr60 sound pretty much the same, however the iGrado does have maybe a tad more bass. This must be do to the padding and them being alittle closer to the ear then the SR60s. The SR60s do feel comfortable, but its still pushing on the top part of your ear, just above your ear canal. I noticed this right away after having them on for about 20mins. Now im using them with my amp now,havent had a chance to listen to them just plugged into my ZVM. Im hoping it wont be to different since they only 32ohm. The ZVM pushed my 60ohm KSC75s to a pretty high level. I will post back later when my ZVM is charged fully and i have a chance to listen to the iGrados without a amp.

To me, coming from KSC75s, these are WAAAAAY more comfortable. The band does seem alittle small though, however for me, it fits perfect. I can see why people would want this type of headphone for hardcore exercising, they dont seem to move at all to me, even when i run.

Now what sucks....THE CABLE...OMG THE CABLE BLOWS!! Its soooooooo thin, and it seems to be covered in a rubber band like material. Its gummy to the touch. I means its makes it nice to wear of course, since its soooo light, However i can see it ripping in 2 on the slightest snag. I think im going to have these recabled for sure.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #48 of 69
I am enjoying them quite a bit, with the aftermarket pads.. maybe even a little too much!

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am enjoying them quite a bit, with the aftermarket pads.. maybe even a little too much!

Sorry for the hijack here, but this is the man who is (thankfully) now enjoying my ex-iGrados! Glad to hear you found a mod to make them enjoyable to your ears!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlife
Now im using them with my amp now,havent had a chance to listen to them just plugged into my ZVM. Im hoping it wont be to different since they only 32ohm. The ZVM pushed my 60ohm KSC75s to a pretty high level. I will post back later when my ZVM is charged fully and i have a chance to listen to the iGrados without a amp.

What I found odd, especially considering my slightly bass-tilted M Hornet, is that the iGrados actually produced MORE bass unamped! Mind you, it was also much more boomy and uncontrolled, but still a bit of a bizarre result, I thought.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #50 of 69
after a few days of using the igrados amped and unamped. They do seem to be more boomy without a amp. I think this is mainly do to my EQ setting, but its noticable. The amp trims out the bass and makes it sound tighter.

Without the amp, it gets plenty loud...however it doesnt have the same soundstage...it does seem to get alittle wider with the amp. I find with or without it sounds good enough.

Isolation however isnt as good as it should be. I tried using it without a amp in a fairly noisey area (Mall) and wasnt not able to turn it up high enough for quiet type music. Im sure i can solve this with a amp, but at the time i didnt feel like having the whole thing on me.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #51 of 69
I think amped iGrados have a more lush/fuller sounding midrange and tighter bass... which probably makes the bass sound less boomy compared to unamped.

Currently enjoying my iGrados through a Cmoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #52 of 69
arrggg....i .....reaallllly.....h8.....this.....cable!!!

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #54 of 69
I may be the only one who likes their cable the way it is
biggrin.gif
The tube upper part cable was designed to provide zero folding memory - it just spring to shape every time I pull the phones out of my backpack.

Anyway if recable gives much improved sound quality I wouldn't mind doing it. Who'll try it first? lol

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #55 of 69
Things about iGrado:
* If you HAVE TO cut holes in the pads to make them sound alright, then they are bad phones.
* No they don't have great mids. I am not a mids person but iGrado's don't have what it takes for vocal.
* Very little bass, after you do the foam mod. If you don't do the foam mod, there will be very little treble. You lose either way.
* Poor quality control. Even the iGrado sticker is kind of popping out now.

Are they a Bad buy at $50? Not really. There really aren't too many options in that price range. I have not heard PX100's but I suspect they are the same way, over hyped. KSC75's are good, a little harsh though. KSC55 sound great but can be uncomfortable due to the neckband.....

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrraven200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite get why people are complaining so much about the igrados, I think these 50 dollar headphones sound better than most 800 dollar speakers, how can that be bad?

A statement that is very hard to swallow.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #57 of 69
I love mine. I prefer them over the SR60 (and most other cans for that matter) in both sound and comfort.
A nice warm sound with good bass.
In fact, and I know you will think I am crazy, but, other than my Atrio M5, these are my headphone of choice period. Over any Grado up to RS1. I make a lot of money and can pretty much afford whatever I please. The iGrado is what I please. I just like the sound, comfort and convenience.
They have become my headphone of choice when I am at home and I cannot wear My Atrio M5's because of the isolation.
The cord does seem thin but so what? It hasn't broken and it works so why have some big long fat cord like my SR60?

So as you can see I consider them one of the most underrated and unappreciated headphones around and have always been puzzled why they don't get more attention around here.
I assume it's the old "how good can they be for $50?" mindset but then you have the KSC75's (which I own and which the iGrado's COMPLETELY blow out of the water). I don't care what something costs or what it looks like (to a point). The only thing that I don't care for is the bloody name. Ughh. (Not an Apple fan).
I have owned many of the big dogs and have somehow settled on the iGrado. Perhaps it's some sort of synergy thing with my Kenwood but IMO these sound better than cans costing 10 times as much.
There, I said it.
Proceed with the crucifixion.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #59 of 69
I do and still think the sound quality on the igrados are a bit better than the ksc75s, but still

1. its not $40usd of an improvement over 75s and 2. The headband is unbearably uncomfortable after 45min of use.

Just because of that, it was sufficient that I had sold my iGrados.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #60 of 69
The neckband can be uncomfortable at first but it will stretch and mold to fit over time. At least mine did. They are very comfortable now.
It is, of course, personal preference. I like warm and bassy.
My SR60's and KSC75's are collecting dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back