What happened to iGrado?
Oct 17, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #16 of 69
Refinement was my main problem with SR60s, listening to any agressive rock, the treble just kills my ears. The MS1 and SR225 were the cheapest Grados with the refinement to do agressive rock for me. I think I'll be happy with my PortaPros.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
Refinement was my main problem with SR60s, listening to any agressive rock, the treble just kills my ears. The MS1 and SR225 were the cheapest Grados with the refinement to do agressive rock for me. I think I'll be happy with my PortaPros.
biggrin.gif

I've never heard SR60 so I don't know how iGrados compare, but in either case I wouldn't describe the iGrado treble as harsh or in any way unpleasant at all, even with aggressive rock music. My SR225 are "more refined" because they sound more airy, detailed, and because they have somewhat tighter bass - not because they are less harsh. If anything iGrados are, overall, more bassy in comparison - which is not necessarily in a bad thing, IMO
wink.gif

This is just to clarify.

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485
Just realised that after the initial excitement, now I don't seem to see any recent threads on the iGrados. Are these not popular?
confused.gif
Back when it was released, people were saying that they don't actually look so bad and even suggested that they may become FOTM. And now, nada...

IMHO its too expensive at $50 to be a FOTM. Add sales tax or S/H fees (both if purchased in-state) and its direct competition with a used SR60.... for (IMHO) a physically inferior design. I walked into a local Cambridge store and talked the sales guy down to $62 + tax, for a NIB SR60.

Been saying its over-priced since day-1. Looks like Im not alone... or we would be seeing hints of FOTM madness. I also continue doubt the general population will be jumping on these. No noise canceling, no "super-bass", not fold-able, no isolation, no wireless. All are things the non-head-fi consumers gravitate towards.

We've had countless "Whats the best Grado for the $$$?", and "Whats the sweetspot in the Grado lineup?" threads. I dont EVER recall reading any nominees for the Grado streetstyle in these threads.

I REALLY really hope I am wrong though and would LOVE to eat my words, open mouth and insert foot.... I LOVE my Grado woodies.

IMHO the black one looks good though.
Garrett

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 69
i'm still enjoying my igrado immensely and have been using them as my main office cans, along with my hd650. the pads on mine have been quarter modded and i've also recabled them. i think the quarter mod alone makes them as enjoyable as the sr60 but without the grainy highs but better bass. while i agree that they not exactly transportable because of their open design and they don't fold up, they sound good enough to make up for it.

garrett, if you ever want to try them, let me know. cisco is close enough to sunnyvale where i work, that's if you work in the huge milpitas/n. sj campus.

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i'm still enjoying my igrado immensely and have been using them as my main office cans, along with my hd650. the pads on mine have been quarter modded and i've also recabled them. i think the quarter mod alone makes them as enjoyable as the sr60 but without the grainy highs but better bass. while i agree that they not exactly transportable because of their open design and they don't fold up, they sound good enough to make up for it.

garrett, if you ever want to try them, let me know. cisco is close enough to sunnyvale where i work, that's if you work in the huge milpitas/n. sj campus.

Hey thanks!! for the offer. I'd probably just get an SR60.
cool.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #22 of 69
One more thought on this topic...

Perhaps not many people are writing about them because only a few people seem to have them at the moment. Meanwhile there seems to be a huge prejudice against iGrados on these forums - I guess Grado did something wrong in introducing the product, at least as far as introducing it to the Head-Fi community is concerned.

With striking regularity iGrados are praised by those who actually own them (just look at this thread) and dissed by those who don't have them, heard something about how bad they sound supposedly, or simply don't like the way they look.

I guess we'll have to wait until more people buy them and hear them for themselves.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485
Then I guess the problem is that people just aren't buying them. :p

... because they're over-priced
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 69
I paid $48 new delivered - I think $45 is probably a fair price given the obvious minimal construction.

I think the problem is that the masses dont buy Grado and need street-style. So far its just the Grado lovers who happen to also want a street/gym grado.

Thats just such a small part of the market.

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #27 of 69
i do hope someone brings a pair to the NYC Fall Meet. I'll bring my AKG K81DJs and see who's tops - although it's not exactly an even matchup, one being sealed and the other being open.

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Why would anyone buy these rather than the KSC75/35 or the SR60?

I think you got it right, who would buy the iGrado when the SR-60 look so good and feel better with no ears pinching and a better padding? I think that the other options that grado offers get more interest from grado fan. And since Grado is a little of an unknown headphone producer to the mass then the iGrado might be more or less in a marketing hole.

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 69
I kinda fear that these headphones kinda flopped up badly... Havent heard them and most likely ever hear them, but the response hasnt beet anything miraculous, and since Grado is so unknown name in mass market, the masses most likely pass these two cuz 50$ (might be even more in some places) is quite a lot for streetstyle headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back