What happened to Grado's reputation?
Feb 19, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #91 of 565
Wow, it's amazing how similar the frequency response is between the HP2 and LCD-2 (except for lower bass).  Very cool. 

And I agree, the HP2 is one of my favorites, and I don't like any of their current headphones.  The GS1000 is a complete failure of a headphone IMO.  I would rather pay 150 dollars for a pair of KSC-75 then pay 100 dollars for a  GS1000.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #92 of 565

Quote:
international prices are...off the charts

I know SR60i in nz $200NZD
          SR80i $280
          PS1000i $4000

It's just ridiculous, also monster beats studio is $650NZD but no-one complains about this (kind to because the people who want this don't really think)

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #94 of 565
 Hmmm ...  Without trying very hard, I've found 2 dealers that discount Grados.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #95 of 565
In the UK:
SR60i £90 ~ $146 (US price $80) 182% markup
SR80i £108 ~ $176 (US price $99) 178% markup
SR125i £150 ~ $244 (US price $150) 163% markup

MS-1 $100 ~ £61 (US price $100) 100% markup. Free worldwide shipping.

All I can say is thank the gods above for Alessandro.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #96 of 565
In the U.S. I still believe the SR-60, 80, and 225 models are excellent values. I agree above that there is some serious competition at both retail and typical street pricing. It might be hard to argue that the RS1 at around $500 (or lower) preowned on the street isn't a decent value but I'd contend that the HDd600/650, DT880 and K-70x are better values and possibly better headphones.

But the 60, 80 and 225, at their respective prices, are very tough to beat.

The way the HF2 was handled by Grado, I think it's awful. First the Head-F1 and next the multiple releases of the not so "limited" edition. Yes they sound great and are my favorite current Grado but a company shouldn't allow things like this to happen. The attitude Grado and Todd had that we, as members of the Head-Fi community, should just be grateful of Grado that they made the HF2 was real crap. If they can't stand behind the integrity of their product, I believe is shows a lack of character.

As for changes in Head-Fi, I'll reserve that for another day.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #97 of 565
I think the HF limited series are a very good initiative, especially since they ship worldwide and for for reasonable price. That's something other manufacturers should do as well. I was very tempted to go for the HF2 but I had to save my $ for the LCD-1.

But the HF-1 and HF-2 are in the past now as well, just like their other legendary cans. So, their top-tier cans are all in the past.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #98 of 565

Quote:
Its their price fixing that I can't stand.  They do it with all of their models as well.  The prices are even crazier overseas.  Its well above exchange rates and the cost of local warranty support should dictate.  Business do exist to make money and Grado should be able to charge whatever wholesale prices they wish, but demanding that all resellers charge the same retail price crosses the line.

Its a shame its not illegal...

Fair trade laws do make price fixing illegal, so some manufacturers impose that by pulling the "we retain the right to refuse sales to anyone" at the wholesale / authorized dealer level.  It's done in an attempt to maintain product value for customers, adequate margins for distributors and dealers, thereby supporting good dealers.  Because of the corruption of man, the whole thing breaks down in many places.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #99 of 565
Quote:
Yes but aren't the fixed retail prices there to make it easier for small companies to sell Grado headhones?  I think they're trying to protect small audio shops so that they can compete with places like B&H and if they sell them then people have a place to hear them in person which is good for Grado as well.  I can't speak to the international prices because I don't know anything about. 

The difference of opinion here is that I don't really think anyone needs to go about "protecting" failed business models.  Places like B&H and Amazon and even other specialty web stores have no hassle returns that mean you don't have to be overly worried about your choices and still offer the consumer the lowest prices.  Why should I, as a consumer, care about exactly where I buy a product if I can get the same product and functionally identical customer service somewhere else?

Quote:
Fair trade laws do make price fixing illegal, so some manufacturers impose that by pulling the "we retain the right to refuse sales to anyone" at the wholesale / authorized dealer level.  It's done in an attempt to maintain product value for customers, adequate margins for distributors and dealers, thereby supporting good dealers.  Because of the corruption of man, the whole thing breaks down in many places.

That whole "we retain the right to refuse sales to anyone" is functionally identical to all the resellers getting together and saying, "we have the right to set out own prices, and by the way, we've colluded with all our competitors and all agreed on one price" which is illegal.

I could rant about how no one understands economics, but I'll save that for another day...

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #100 of 565

Quote:
I think Grado's are a great gateway drug into the world of hifi headphones, but for the most part they've left me feeling empty and unfulfilled.

It also has to do with my taste in music changing over the course of the last two years.  Also ... c'mon, who the hell are we kidding? 

Give me a better headphone band and make it so it holds the cups better.  It's like the elephant in the room. 

This.  Nearly everyone here has a torrid but short affair with Grado.  I still like the sound, but it;s a terrible value proposition.  All of their headphones are overpriced and the comfort and build quality are inferior to boot.  What Grado does have going for it is a very unique sound (for the Reference and Prestige series), and if you really must have it then Grado is your only option.  In my case, I got a pair of Audio Technica W100s and realized "Wow, these sound even better than my RS-1s, they're built like a tank, I don't have to fiddle with pads and uncomfortable headbands, and they cost half as much."  The RS-1s were sold shortly after.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #101 of 565

I think everything changed when Grado introduced the bowl pads. Grado was always known for the purity of midrange in their phono cartridge line, and I was amazed how Joe Grado came out with headphones that had the same sonic characteristics as his cartridges. The original SR60 and RS-1 (using flats) continued this trend, then the bowls came out because some complained about a lack of soundstage and top end. And out went the baby with the bathwater.

Quote:
the HP2 is one of my favorites, and I don't like any of their current headphones.  

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #102 of 565
Yes, the international pricing is a shame. I don't know why Grado doesn't use the Alessandro model the world over. Prices should be about the same everywhere. If you got stuck for a little bit for import duties, it wouldn't be so bad. But Grado prices itself into positions where they do not compete with other offerings. When you can get a better pair for less, then you're not helping your company.

Also, didn't mention that I've fallen out of love with the Grado sound and haven't been giving many recommendations. I loved the RS-1 for a couple of years, then it got to be like a favorite song that I burned out on. They just weren't doing it for me any longer so they went to pay for part of the HD-800. Felt a little guilty selling them, but I don't think I'll buy another pair. I'd just burn out again. They don't play well with the genres I listen to and I'm still attached to the HD-800, about 18 months in. My passion for the K-1000 has been going almost five years.

If Grado could reproduce the greatness of the HP-1000, I'd buy a pair of those. But the house coloration doesn't excite me any longer and I've been disappointed in the newer models.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #104 of 565

Quote:
$3050. Sorry for the late reply

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back