What happened to Grado's reputation?
Feb 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #181 of 565
It's a good thing I listen to everything, except country.

Let's talk about how bad country is so we can feel better about our musical tastes and headphone purchases.

beyersmile.png

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #182 of 565
OP Please change the thread title to, "what happen to rap's reputation?", thank you.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #184 of 565
I don't know whether to delete the thread or delete all the OT posts.  It's not like I haven't gotten caught up in an OT conversation before, because I have.  I'm actually of a mind to leave it as is too, because it was a good conversation and many good viewpoints were well expressed.  What do you guys say?  Should we just preserve it for posterity and leave things be?

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #185 of 565

Quote:
"Sound quality will get you so far"-I would say this quote clearly illustrates the mentality we're dealing with here.

Want a cookie with those grados??

Well, now that you mention it, how about nice pads instead of foam, a great headband, and a built quality at least in the caliber of the humble $70.00 sony V6, this cheap headphone's built quality will last you decades without having to treat them with gloves.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #186 of 565

Quote:
Well, now that you mention it, how about nice pads instead of foam, a great headband, and a built quality at least in the caliber of the humble $70.00 sony V6, this cheap headphone's built quality will last you decades without having to treat them with gloves.

You're right, the 7506 /V6 hold up very well except for the crumbling pleather.  FWIW, I have my pair of SR-200s which I bought in 1992 or 1993, and they still have the original flats on them and sound as good as ever.  I'd say that speaks pretty well for the original Joe Grado headphones.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #187 of 565

Quote:
I don't know whether to delete the thread or delete all the OT posts.  It's not like I haven't gotten caught up in an OT conversation before, because I have.  I'm actually of a mind to leave it as is too, because it was a good conversation and many good viewpoints were well expressed.  What do you guys say?  Should we just preserve it for posterity and leave things be?

Well I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it! In my experience music taste and preference is all ways going start arguments. Headfiers are very passionate about music and we all think that we know best. 

It's just a shame that it erupted on the Grado thread.. I would leave it as it is, its entertaining!  

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #190 of 565

Quote:
You're right, the 7506 /V6 hold up very well except for the crumbling pleather.  FWIW, I have my pair of SR-200s which I bought in 1992 or 1993, and they still have the original flats on them and sound as good as ever.  I'd say that speaks pretty well for the original Joe Grado headphones.

x2 My V6 had crumbling ear pads after less than 2 years of ownership.  And their sound was absolutely shamed in comparison to my first SR-60, which are in the same price range.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #191 of 565

Quote:
x2 My V6 had crumbling ear pads after less than 2 years of ownership.  And their sound was absolutely shamed in comparison to my first SR-60, which are in the same price range.

you are right about the earpads, and it definitely doesn't help you can get replacement pleather earpads for as little as $8.00 bucks a pair (you want velour just pay $20 for pearstone pads, they will last you for years). Oh wait I guess it is better to pay $15.00 s cush, $20.00 for donuts and $55.00 for big bowls and like them so much that you have to mod your grados to fit beyer pads, or self made leather ones (see grado mods thread).
I have yet to hear someone say any Grado headband is better than the V6, I don't see them crumbling any time soon.
Demanding top quality for your headphones is not a sin.
SR-60 bass meh.... compared to V6

I love the Grado sound, I owned the sr225i but......

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #192 of 565

Quote:
I have yet to hear someone say any Grado headband is better than the V6, I don't see them crumbling any time soon.

The RS-1i headband is much better than the V6's :wink:

I find the build quality on my RS-1i (as well as the SR-325, and GS-1000i I used to own) to be excellent. Remember we're comparing handcrafted headphones to one made of molded plastic.  Many people appreciate hand-made products in their own right - I certainly do.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #193 of 565

Quote:
Some may have issues with the build quality of grados. I have never had a problem with mine. I also find them comfortable. Despite the dissenters MANY others feel this way too.

I agree, however, and only in comparison to other similarly priced hp's I wouldn't say that they are the last word in luxury! What they do offer is lightness, but a little padding on the headband wouldn't go a miss? I do find myself conscious of the headband on my head as much as the bowls. My Senn's make you forget that you are wearing them after a while, where as the Grado's make you more aware of them the longer you wear them.

But it is sound quality that you pay for with Grado and I'm slowly coming to the impression that they may be unbeatable at this!        

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #194 of 565
For what it's worth, my grados seem fine comfort wise. My only issue is with my glasses since the pressure from the cups kinda makes the frame of the glasses dig into my ears but that's an easy fix. Besides, I didn't buy these for comfort :)

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #195 of 565

Quote:
The RS-1i headband is much better than the V6's :wink:

eek.gif
I forgot the RS-1 is foldable, has great padding and the cups never never never, end up sliding off due to the weight.

Enough with that, we are all consumers and these threads serve to express what we the critics find as things that need improving. If Grado is to grow bigger and better, it will do so by taking the criticism in account rather than just releasing the same thing over and over again.

You cannot justify the build quality at the higher prices, you cannot justify the foam pads, you cannot justify the prices abroad (I live in Mexico, there's not even a distributor here).

I want Grado to be bigger, better and stronger, and give me my money's worth. I'm currently looking into Beyers after a friend of mine let me try his pair, a very different signature but in no way inferior to Grado and with better quality.

the question was what happened to Grado's reputation? Bilavideo is a great fan of the Grado sound, and even he made very valid points.

Talking about Zappa,  I seriously doubt he would have been one of the greatest musician/composers of our time if he had settled for less than stellar quality in anything he did or any musician he employed. Being a smart consumer is demanding more for your money (even if a person has tons to spare)

edit: fixed highlighted part, don't want people feeling attacked
wink.gif

peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back