What foods won't you eat?
Sep 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #76 of 424
Yes, I've had everything from battery raised, corn fed, free range, all the way through to proper, almost wild chickens from my grandparents farm, yes, the flavour and depth of flavour changes, proper chicken is alot nicer, but I still don't enjoy it, it's like 'hey this is ok, for chicken.... now where's the real meat at?'

You won't like snake then, it tastes like chicken :D
On the other you'd probably enjoy a piece of hanger steak, extra rare.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #77 of 424
Brussels Sprouts trigger my gag reflex, can't do it. Also had to stop eating burgers out once I found out about the ammonia processing additive. And those little bay shrimp are gross to me, they are like ocean cockroaches.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #78 of 424

Quote:
Yes, I've had everything from battery raised, corn fed, free range, all the way through to proper, almost wild chickens from my grandparents farm, yes, the flavour and depth of flavour changes, proper chicken is alot nicer, but I still don't enjoy it, it's like 'hey this is ok, for chicken.... now where's the real meat at?'

Have you ever caught a "wild" chicken. I say this with "" because what I caught was a farm raised chicken that was raised by chickens that escaped the farm.

My lord, it was fantastic.

I've also been to Chile to have a raw chicken dish with fruit and cheese. With a good wine. We can't serve raw chicken because of the diseases here in the states. But when it's farm raised and bred in a small area, it's perfectly fine to ear raw.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #79 of 424

Quote:
Have you ever caught a "wild" chicken. I say this with "" because what I caught was a farm raised chicken that was raised by chickens that escaped the farm.

My lord, it was fantastic.

I've also been to Chile to have a raw chicken dish with fruit and cheese. With a good wine. We can't serve raw chicken because of the diseases here in the states. But when it's farm raised and bred in a small area, it's perfectly fine to ear raw.

I said above, wild chicken from my grandparents farm, I'll elaborate a bit: they don't farm the chickens at all, they just live on the farm, and some occasionally end up on the dinner table
And raw chicken? why? raw chicken has a horrible texture, and its very difficult for the human body to digest uncooked animal protein (or so I've been told at least) thats why we cook food, makes it easier to digest, denaturing proteins etc.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #80 of 424

Quote:
And raw chicken? why? raw chicken has a horrible texture, and its very difficult for the human body to digest uncooked animal protein (or so I've been told at least) thats why we cook food, makes it easier to digest, denaturing proteins etc.

They also say that about aw vegi's and grain.

It was thinly sliced, so that dictated the texture a lot.

I'm talking about farm raised chickens, raised in the wild. There are wild chicken which are different then what most people eat. But the farm raised, raised in the wild are amazing.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #81 of 424
Better you than me.  I work in the food industry & raw chicken definitely a no-no.  At one stage, there was an investigation into raw chicken at retail.  An incredible 80% had some form of salmonella contamination.  I think that's now down to 60% in the last study I saw - but even farm raised / organic chicken have been found with salmonella.  It's present naturally in the gut & transfers easily to the meat during dressing.

That's why it's always recommended to refrigerate, and thoroughly cook.

Botbyte - I googled 'raw chicken' and Chile & found no hits.  Are you sure it wasn't another meat?  I seriously doubt any culture would be eating raw chicken.  It'd be like playing Russian roulette.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #82 of 424

Quote:
Botbyte - I googled 'raw chicken' and Chile & found no hits.  Are you sure it wasn't another meat?  I seriously doubt any culture would be eating raw chicken.  It'd be like playing Russian roulette.

It was chicken, "Pollo" - something containing to fruit.

It was sliced raw chicken, layered around in a circle with apples, kiwi and pears. Some cheese and wine on the side.

Tasted like the best chicken flavor with fresh fruit. The wine they served was just the house with a random soft cheese. Odd texture of the chicken, almost like very soft beef fat.

I just told the server "Me lo que te gusta, por favor" like I always do. And it's what she brought out.

Remember, Life is too short to worry about the small stuff.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #83 of 424

Well I would eat most things considered as food except tripe and insects. (I would not consider raw chicken as a food, just a quick way of becoming very ill.)

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #84 of 424

Quote:
It was chicken, "Pollo" - something containing to fruit.

It was sliced raw chicken, layered around in a circle with apples, kiwi and pears. Some cheese and wine on the side.

Tasted like the best chicken flavor with fresh fruit. The wine they served was just the house with a random soft cheese. Odd texture of the chicken, almost like very soft beef fat.

I just told the server "Me lo que te gusta, por favor" like I always do. And it's what she brought out.

Interesting - Chicken Pollo is usually always cooked.  At least that's according to my old landlord (just checked with her), she's Chilean, been in NZ for about 5 years.  I say usually because there may be exceptions - although she did not know of any.  Because of the cooking style, it is often served quite moist - and could be mistaken for being raw.

Quote:
Remember, Life is too short to worry about the small stuff.

Word to the wise - eat too much raw chicken and it might end up shorter than you'd like 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #85 of 424

Quote:
Interesting - Chicken Pollo is usually always cooked.  At least that's according to my old landlord (just checked with her), she's Chilean, been in NZ for about 5 years.  I say usually because there may be exceptions - although she did not know of any.  Because of the cooking style, it is often served quite moist - and could be mistaken for being raw.

Word to the wise - eat too much raw chicken and it might end up shorter than you'd like 
wink.gif

Chicken Pollo is chicken chicken. Pollo = chicken in spanish

What i had was good. But maybe wasn't the greatest place, some down alley way with a random walk by. That's how I roll.

Oh, but it was good.

Who here doesn't like Instant Coffee?
As a writer, I'm hooked on the stuff.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #86 of 424
Quote:
MCC, you just eat meat and drink water?

I'm pretty much a carnivore. Add in some delicious fruits, cheeses, breads and fresh brewed tea (from leaves, not bags) and I'm happy.

The only sauces I really use are BBQ sauce and Sriracha.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #88 of 424

Quote:
My kettle takes the best part of 20 minutes to boil so for the most part, I just mix it with milk unless I could be bothered waiting.

I like cold coffee, so half a tsp of instant with a tsp of sweetener and a little hot water. Down that with some ice and cold water.

It's more of a problem cooling the hot coffee and keeping a steady stream of it coming.

In winter, I switch over to hot tea.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #89 of 424

Quote:
Cold burritos are the best though. When I used to eat Taco Bell in vast quantities I'd stick it in the fridge first to make it cold and then eat it.

Damn....I can't even tolerate Taco Bell warm.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #90 of 424

Quote:
Damn....I can't even tolerate Taco Bell warm.

Well, to be fair, I can't even tolerate the smell anymore. I had it once last year after a huge 20 mile run, and it was the closest thing to my house I could stumble to to try and get some fast calories and even while mostly starved I could barely choke down one of those "Fresco" burritos which are supposed to be healthier.

I can't believe I used to eat there twice a week. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back