What foods won't you eat?
Sep 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #241 of 424

Quote:

I know what you mean about the thick stuff. I use just enough to get by, and don't leave the jar open on the table.

Apple banana: don't know much about it, but would guess its related to the bananas brought over by the polynesians. That would be a good story anyway. They ripen quicker, are smaller, a little sweeter, and have a *slightly* more pungent taste. Its the one you'll see growing in peoples yards.

Bicycling? Good breakfast. I tailor and schedule my meals based on projected days caloric intake. After a medium-hard 4 hr bicycle ride, all I'm looking for is the minimum for glycogen replacement. A strawberry/banana/apple smoothie is probably more than I need.

For me its not just about what "you" eat, but also about efficient calorie intake, burn, and replacement. Its a routine, lifestyle, daily to long term goal. It also frees me up to occasionally eat the unhealthy foods that I love.

Honey is graded in colors. Darker is stronger flavored. That's all I know. Can't stand the stronger flavor

I do long range biking. For about a week I bike around a country or the canyons out in my area. I need to load up on fat so wen I bike, I eat carbs an they bot bur off easily. For about 500-600 miles, you need to prepare for about a week beforehand. Of course I also bike to prepare.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #242 of 424
Honey is the only non chemically-made substance that has a higher glycemic index than refined white sugar, but it does have some nutrients. If you can find raw local honey it contains natural antibodies that can help with environmental sensitivities (allergies) like hay fever.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #243 of 424

Quote:
x2.  There's worse even.  Rat lungworm from snails acting as vectors that eat the leaves in your salad.  Enjoy.

Good one. I'll be sure tease my wife about that next time she orders salad. I don't know what it is with women and salad.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #244 of 424
At least with many organic contaminants we can build up our immunities to some extent. No such luck with chemical additives and toxins.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #245 of 424

Quote:
At least with many organic contaminants we can build up our immunities to some extent. No such luck with chemical additives and toxins.

Yup, that's why I take a NSF filter with me when I travel and not just a UV light pen.  

Quote:
Good one. I'll be sure tease my wife about that next time she orders salad. I don't know what it is with women and salad.

Seriously, I saw that on Monsters Inside Me (the worm eats your brain) and quit all raw vegetables and even fruits cut up by whatever unknown chef is in the restaurants.  If it was cut by the vegetable knife or cleaver I don't want it raw.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #246 of 424

Quote:
Honey is the only non chemically-made substance that has a higher glycemic index than refined white sugar, but it does have some nutrients. If you can find raw local honey it contains natural antibodies that can help with environmental sensitivities (allergies) like hay fever.

Local honey here is horrible.

I lived in Oregon for a spell and loved the local honey.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #247 of 424
Honey is graded in colors. Darker is stronger flavored. That's all I know. Can't stand the stronger flavor

I do long range biking. For about a week I bike around a country or the canyons out in my area. I need to load up on fat so wen I bike, I eat carbs an they bot bur off easily. For about 500-600 miles, you need to prepare for about a week beforehand. Of course I also bike to prepare.

I'm calling BS on this one, I have a raw litchi honey right next to me and it's nearly white (yes it's opaque, heat is what turns honey transparent), it could be called creme or beige. And it's one of the most flavorful honey I've ever tasted. Color has nothing to do with taste, it's a function of the type of flower the bees used to make honey.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #248 of 424

Quote:
I'm calling BS on this one, I have a raw litchi honey right next to me and it's nearly white (yes it's opaque, heat is what turns honey transparent), it could be called creme or beige. And it's one of the most flavorful honey I've ever tasted. Color has nothing to do with taste, it's a function of the type of flower the bees used to make honey.

This is true IME.  Color grading is more a Maple syrup thing I believe.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #249 of 424

Quote:
This is true IME.  Color grading is more a Maple syrup thing I believe.

Generally, the grading is on clarity. If you can see through it or not.

But the lighter tones give off different and stronger flavors. A pure white honey will be almost flavorless. but a darker one would be flavorful.

A Grade "A" honey is clear, see through. But the darker it is, the stronger the flavor. Of course this can be different, but with clover honey, it's pretty standard fare.

Maple syrup is tested on a scale of how much light can go through it. Higher grades are more pure and less flavorful, lower are darker and more flavorful.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #250 of 424
Quote:

I'm interested in the source you're using. Pure floral honey gets a decent rating, but how to tell is the question.

P.S.  I have "The New Glucose Revolution"

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #251 of 424
We have a couple of beehives at our house.
I can't face eating honey though, too damn sweet.

In the previous pages there was alot on fats.
theres some things from chemistry we learn
(assuming everyone knows that fats are triglycerides [a tri-ester of glycerol and 3 fatty acids])

1- saturated fatty acids- saturated fatty acids, have high m.p. and b.p., eg animal fats, all single bonds, saturated with hydrogen
2-mono-unsaturated fatty acids- contain a single double bond on a fatty acid, so have a kinked shape, and lower m.p. and b.p.
3-polyunsaturated fatty acids- contain multiple double bonds, giving even more kinked shapes, and even lower m.p. and b.p.

A fat can contain any combination of these 3 fatty acid arrangements.
your body needs All of these different fatty acids. you can't just cut them out. your body needs fat. no point hiding from it.
Saturated fat is absolutely fine, you need it, yes excess is bad, excess water will kill  you if you get hyperhydrated. so its nothing to be scared of.

the only fat to be really avoided from my point of view, are trans fats.
what they do exactly is not known, (claimed increased cancer and cardio arrests, but thats what is always claimed about everything in the medias eye)
but, the reason to avoid them, is that they don't occur naturally in nature.
they are called trans fats because of the nature of the bonds.
C=C bonds can be either cis or trans shaped.
in naturally occurring fatty acids, any double bonds are all cis bonds.
but when These unsaturated fats are hydrogenated, some will undergo the addition reaction with hydrogen, making them more saturated, so more solid,
but others will change their bond shapes from cis to trans, a shape not naturally occurring in nature, and hence the unsureness of outcomes.
So could turn out that butter is much better for you than margerine claims to be.

happy worrying.
do we dare start on the all the bacteria you ingest? and have living in your digestive system?

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #252 of 424

Quote:

I'm interested in the source you're using. Pure floral honey gets a decent rating, but how to tell is the question.

P.S.  I have "The New Glucose Revolution"

The source of the honey or the facts about it? Right now I don't have a local source but you can look for local beekeepers products at farmer's markets and specialty vendors. The facts were from the Chefs Training Program at the Natural Gourmet.

Quote:
the only fat to be really avoided from my point of view, are trans fats.

These unsaturated fats are hydrogenated

Definitely to be avoided, even partially hydrogenated is terrible for you.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #255 of 424
Its be a couple of years that I've stopped going to sushi bars, with the exception of special invitations from good friends and family. With family visiting, last night was such an occasion. An interesting question came up post Fukushima debacle: do you know where your hamachi is coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back