What exactly is the AKG K240 Sextett?
Dec 19, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 70
I have been listening to my dads old AKGs and comparing them to the K601s that I just sold. It turns out the old AKGs are the sextetts. They sounded very very similar to my ears, but the 601s sounded like the sextetts on steroids, better bass, bigger soundstage, more detail, YOMV. So to everyone that likes the sextetts check out the K601s if you have not heard them.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
silver rings and they have holes in the headband.

They don't always have holes in the headband. The one thing that always works to identify them are the silver rings and silver nameplates. On all the other K240 variants, these are either gold or black. See the link in my signature to learn how to tell which production run of the sextett that you have.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 70
I believe my friend had a pair that he is borrowing but i never got a chance to audition them. Maybe i can buy them off of him now that i know that there a legend among headphones.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit, doh, swt61 posted just when I started writing.

I may have beat you to the punch, but your description was much more detailed than mine, and very well written. I learned a few things from your post myself.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has all three versions ? Any significant difference in sound quality of signature ?

There are many threads about this headphone that you could find with the search feature, but, basically:

Bass. Early production has the most, late production has the least (of sextetts), middle production somewhere in the middle.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 70
obviously the greatest identifying mark is whether or not it has the 6 passive radiators

followed by all silver rigns and name plate

headbands were all over the shop so can't really be used to identify them

they're supposed to sound quite good, i haven't heard as many as someone as say Fitz... but they are very good for the price when i bought them, as well as considering their age

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to my dads old AKGs and comparing them to the K601s that I just sold. It turns out the old AKGs are the sextetts. They sounded very very similar to my ears, but the 601s sounded like the sextetts on steroids, better bass, bigger soundstage, more detail, YOMV. So to everyone that likes the sextetts check out the K601s if you have not heard them.

What amp did you have behind them? If anything, I'd probably say the Sextetts were the steroid case in this comparison, but they do require stronger amping to shine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have beat you to the punch, but your description was much more detailed than mine, and very well written. I learned a few things from your post myself.

That gets me down to owing you only about fifty more informative posts before I begin to catch up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many threads about this headphone that you could find with the search feature, but, basically:

Bass. Early production has the most, late production has the least (of sextetts), middle production somewhere in the middle.

I think he meant Sextett, M, and S, not just within the Sextett production history.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

I think he meant Sextett, M, and S, not just within the Sextett production history.

More than three versions - there's the DF too. Plus there's probably a few different versions of the M as well.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

More than three versions - there's the DF too. Plus there's probably a few different versions of the M as well.

Heck, don't forget the K241, K242, K260, and maybe a dozen other versions on essentially the same frame. Heck, AKG just introduced some "all new" models at this year's Berlin electronics show that looked surprisingly familiar...

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The K601 and Sextetts have markedly different sound signature, particularly in bass weight & extension, warmth and refinement. It's hard to say which one to recommend over the other one, so it's best to try out both and decide for oneself. In terms of availability though, the current AKG is more easily purchased (and prices have been coming down).

Cheers!

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Heck, don't forget the K241, K242, K260, and maybe a dozen other versions on essentially the same frame. Heck, AKG just introduced some "all new" models at this year's Berlin electronics show that looked surprisingly familiar...

The K260 Pro has a non-cardan-jointed frame and is more open, but has the same driver. I don't personally know what the regular K260 is. And I forget which Philips model is really a K260 (pro?).

Took my K260Pro to work today and listened to it for about 6 or 7 hours. Basically it's like a K240-M that squeaks, far as i can tell. Going to disassemble and attempt to lubricate the joints. again.

But there's the ultra-rare K250 and slightly-less-rare Radioshack Pro 50 that appear to be very K240-esq, and what like 4 versions of the K270.

Yeah it's a big mess.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

But there's the ultra-rare K250 and slightly-less-rare Radioshack Pro 50 that appear to be very K240-esq, and what like 4 versions of the K270.

The Realistic Pro 50 is a rebadged K250. It does have the six passive diaphragms like the K240 Sextett, but the similarities end there. It's external casing is physically larger and looks more akin to the K340's. It also has a K340-like (if not the same) headband structure. The driver isn't covered with cloth/filter material like the Sextett's. Considering their differences, I wouldn't even classify the K250/Pro50 as part of the same family as the K240s.

In terms of sound, they're more detailed and analytical than the Sextetts, although they have practically no bass whatsoever. They're still distinctly different headphones though, in the same way that the Sextett is to the K340.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9719/250vr6.jpg

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

And I forget which Philips model is really a K260 (pro?).

SBC-3178, for those who want to know.They regularly sell on ebay.de for half the price of the K260 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back