What exactly is the AKG K240 Sextett?
Dec 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #31 of 70
I own a 240 with radiators (sextett) bought in 1980 and still in very good conditions.
SQ is far better than 240 studio and even 240 monitor I bought recently.
240 studio has a bit more bass, not a bad thing with certain kinds of music but I prefer definitively the 'sextett' sound
My first serious headphone, though more than 25 years old, is still one of my preferred ones.

. vitt

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 70
I still use K240 sextett's dating from 1979-1980. They have silver trim, perforated headband, and six radiators visible in the earpieces. I also kept a sextett sales brochure picked up during the purchase.

I listened to a friend's SR Lambdas before I bought the AKGs, then comparison shopped and found the K240 sextett to be the most similar to the Lambda's (at that time and place) and far less expensive than Stax. I jumped at the chance and never regretted it.

Now I have SR-60s for my computer, E-4S/P in-ears for mobility, and the K240s with amp for the main system. I'm happy with all these phones.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #33 of 70
Interesting thread. I am a long time audiophile, but until recently, I have hardly ever listened to my headphones. Anticipating a move to an apartment in the near future, I bought a Little Dot amp to drive my old AKG240's. The amp is great (LD MKIII) but I figured I'd have to update the old AKG's sometime soon. After reading this, I'm wondering if I need to. I haven't listened to current options. Mine are 1980 production K240's with Sextett design, silver details, no holes in the head band, and they have very low hours on them considering their age....

What would I expect to be able to sell these for? Again, maybe I don't need to?

Thanks in advance for any input.

E

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #35 of 70
The K240 sextett is the first real audiophile headset that I ever purchased. Well, if you don't count the Koss Pro 4AAA that is.
biggrin.gif

I've always thought that they measured up to the standards of today quite well. They are still used regularly in my basement computer rig, and while it's not the most extended or forward sound I've ever heard it's pretty nice. I've always described them as being like an old pair of jeans that you keep coming back to. Fortunately, you don't get too big for them if you put on weight!!
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What production are they? See the link in my sig on how to tell.

You will most likely need new elastics, foam rings and earpads from AKG.

They match your shot of the late production vintage. - No orange color in the diaphram or on the boarder of it - all off white, tinged yellow. They have the ribbed cable jacket. 1980 was the year I bought them as best as I can recollect. The pads, headband, and pads are in VG condition. There is no crumbling foam evident. They sound more or less like they always have. I doubt I've used them more than 300-400 hours in the 27 years I've own them. I've always been a listen fairly loud on the speakers kinda guy and haven't lived in an apartment for 25 years.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 70
I read your linked thread some more 003, they also have the four pinholes above and below the main driver. I'm guessing that there might have been a thin foam insert under the earpad that covered the plastic grill originally? If they came that way stock, I don't recall, though I might have just cleaned out any crumbling crud years ago... I really don't remember.

Anyway, It's good to know I bought a good set back in the day. A semi-classic of sorts judging from the continued interest in a 30 year old product.

What was the verdict on covering the pinholes vs. leaving them alone? And I take it I should order some foam inserts to go under the earpads (which do not appear to need replacement - no tears, still spungy and resillient)

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What production are they? See the link in my sig on how to tell.

You will most likely need new elastics, foam rings and earpads from AKG.

About 5 posts up...

I would actually like to find another pair of sextetts cheap, I enjoyed them more than I thought I did when I sold them. Sometimes the ears need a break form 325is...

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, how can you tell between Early, middle and Late production models

If the radiators are orange they're early production. The material covering the radiators for the late and middle production is white. In my middle production, the pieces behind the radiators are orange and it shows a little at the edges. In the late production there are 2 little pin holes on the baffle.

003 posted a guide to identifying the different versions, but the link in his sig is broken and I didn't find it with a quick search.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #42 of 70
I just got a pair. I guess they are late because they have the white radiators but the headband has the holes so I guess they aren't late late haha. 1980 you think?

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #44 of 70
the thread to look for is called something like "Sextett- Grado'd AKG?"

Which I'm not sure I agree with, because the K701 has much more similar treble spikes to grado. But I can see the similarity in the midrange...

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by abZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair. I guess they are late because they have the white radiators but the headband has the holes so I guess they aren't late late haha. 1980 you think?

If the radiators have a orange edge, like a halo, then they are MP.
Complete white is LP, as stated before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back