what exactly does "grattle" sound like
Feb 16, 2006 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spaztastic116

Head-Fier
what exactly does grattle sound like? my ms-1s currently have a little "wrinkly" noise on the left side in songs with a relative amount of bass. is this a case of the grattles? or is it something more serious?

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 8
I am exactly looking for the same example... here i have my grados and i was hearing some bob marley and i noticed that, take also in account that is was on 320 kbps mp3 (lossy)and that is very old,but i seem to notice something out of place and gets on my nerves...also i know that a solution is to remove the foams, and suck GENTLY on the mesh grill to remove any hair and then cure the diaphragm with a blower from 2 inches away for 15-20 seconds...but i am yet to know how to identify it :frowning2:
Quote:
what exactly does grattle sound like? my ms-1s currently have a little "wrinkly" noise on the left side in songs with a relative amount of bass. is this a case of the grattles? or is it something more serious?

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Exactly what it tastes like

Sounds as if there is hair in the driver. Distorted very badly

Blow gently in all directions to dislodge hair. Then clean the pads.

No towels, no air cans.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Exactly what it tastes like

Sounds as if there is hair in the driver. Distorted very badly

Blow gently in all directions to dislodge hair. Then clean the pads.

No towels, no air cans.

Sorry to ask but what "No towels, no air cans" means ?
Thanks

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Sounds like 

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

You just gotta inhale very slowly into the driver, you'll hear a slight popping sound. Thats not the sound of it being fixed, it's just the mylar diaphragm expanding. You don't want to do this too hard because it'll rip it out but it'll shift any annoying hairs out of the way or unpop your driver and it should fix it.

Nice headphones btw, real men put pics of themselves on the internet with their headphones :)

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Sounds like 

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

You just gotta inhale very slowly into the driver, you'll hear a slight popping sound. Thats not the sound of it being fixed, it's just the mylar diaphragm expanding. You don't want to do this too hard because it'll rip it out but it'll shift any annoying hairs out of the way or unpop your driver and it should fix it.

Nice headphones btw, real men put pics of themselves on the internet with their headphones :)

lol.

Btw my sr60i had that dreaded grattle once, it's more of like a SRRRTRRTRRTRRTTSSTCHH. Like miniature ball bearings having a neon rave party. Turned out it was a piece of hair.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 8
sorry to necrobump but this was the most recent thread

seriously i thought it was always better to use an existing thread vs. making a new one, so i don't get the whole anti-necro bump thing..

anyway sounds like my MS-1i's may have a POSSIBLE grattle issue. haven't listened to them  heavily for a little while so maybe i'm just not used to the level of clarity they bring to the table, but i noticed a bit of rattling/buzzing? during some Chemical Bros and also some Bernstein classical, mostly during the wind instrument sections.  it's very faint and it seems like the rest of the recordings are clear as a bell, so it may just be the graininess of the recordings or the texture/timbre of the instruments, or just the sound sig of my MS-1is.  but i did try a bass frequency sweep on youtube as i was under the impression it occurs mostly with bass heavy music, and i did have to turn it up about 1/2 again above my normal listening level but i DID hear a noticeable buzzing, going from one side to the other.  i cleaned the pads of my hair and did pull one hair out from the grill on the left side with tweezers, then blew them out with compressed air (hearing conflicting reports that this is a bad thing so this may have been a mistake), and ran some bass heavy music at about the same high volume that i listened to the youtube test with.  listening to Prince at 320kbps at normal volume (yeah i'm kinda all over the place) and it so far sounds fine, no out of place distortion or rattling.  so am i jumping at shadows here?  i definitely heard distortions when listening at a higher than normal volume with the youtube test, but then again it's youtube and probably low quality/distorted as is.  most of the distortions occurred below the 20hz line.

so is grattle a painfully obvious thing?  are my headphones just resolving faults in the recordings, or maybe it's just the way the music is filtered through them?  thanks for any help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back