what does your head-fi name/handle mean?
Aug 6, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #91 of 362
What does my head-fi name/handle mean?

Well, the story's a bit long, but if you're up for it...

"Russ" means "Russ," which is short for "Russell." "Russell" is my father's name, so it must mean "Dad." I learned in biology class that "Dad" means "male genetic progenitor," though the legal definition of "Dad" is something more mutable... So to simplify things, we'll just say that "Russ" means "nougat."

"Arcuri" means "Arcuri," which is short for "Arcuri." This is derived from the middle English root "ghoti" which is pronounced "fish." (In the word "enough," "gh" = "f;" in "women," "o" = "i;" and in "nation," "ti" = "sh.") In any case, as we all know, ghoti swim a lot, when they're not busy designing timing circuits for industrial robotics. So "Arcuri" actually means "swimmer."

Simple, huh? My head-fi name/handle just means "nougat swimmer."

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #92 of 362
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood

Ok, so I am elaborating...

Driftwood

Thanks. I guess that's more info than I wanted.
evil_smiley.gif
Live and learn. Well, history is a good thing.
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #93 of 362
Zowie is the name assigned to one of the printers in the network at my workplace.

I liked it because the person who assigned the network names meant for it to be "Zoe" but didn't know how to spell.

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #94 of 362
ArChaos is a fussion between ARchitecture(that's what I do...) and CHAOS(That's where I live...) I mean, we all live
wink.gif
more or less...
More seriously - I've been since a long time been interested in the Theory of Chaos which deals with Order in Universe,Lorenz Atractor, Quantum Theory, Fractals, The Butterfly Effect and many other similar things... (It's really fascinating how much closer to the real Meaning of Life that is, much more than one would originally suspect...) The connection to Architecture is so natural - Architecture being defined as "order in space" - that the name came to me as a snap...

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #97 of 362
Mine is a long story...and it appears to be down right now (I've been asked this question so many times, I have a web page devoted to it). Suffice it to say, it has something to do with my nonexistent middle initial of "C"...PCP...Angel Dust...(hey, at least they didn't call me "Angel")...not saying I ever took any drugs, but you can't have grown up in the 70's without it having been a frequent topic of discussion. Quote:

Originally posted by Satori
mine is from a chracter in the Clive Barker book "Imajica"

Cool -- Clive Barker is one of my favourite authors, and "Imajica" is one of my favourite books by him, after "Damnation Game" and "Weaveworld". Don't remember everyones' names, though, which one was he?

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #99 of 362
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

man, i needed a laugh, thank you! (sorry if your story is true, i don't mean to laugh at your pain).

as for my user name, i guess i watched waaay too much "cosmos" as a child. my real name is mark.

Percival Lowell would be so proud of you
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #102 of 362
My handle currently refers to the idea, which I put no stake in other than its somewhat interesting, that mankind is a race of warrior AI's designed by another creature to be their army. However they made us too real and too powerful so we became god-like and attempted to destroy our creators. Tron is something of a revolt against God metaphor. We were finally beaten and our remnants banished to this planet. Earth. This place has something which restricts us to mere fractions of our previous greatness. When we first landed we still had memories of our previous lives as demi god's and tried to preserve it in the Egyptian landscape... however it soon passed and the memories were forgotten, twisted, jumbled up by the something about the planet which imprisons us. Our creators tried to contact us and save us from our own demise but so far they have been unsuccessful, perhaps they have died off. Whatever, we are slowly unraveling the puzzle which traps us here. Someday we will finish the puzzle and we will reclaim our place as masters of the universe...

I just made that up.

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #104 of 362
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
My handle currently refers to the idea, which I put no stake in other than its somewhat interesting, that mankind is a race of warrior AI's designed by another creature to be their army. However they made us too real and too powerful so we became god-like and attempted to destroy our creators. Tron is something of a revolt against God metaphor. We were finally beaten and our remnants banished to this planet. Earth. This place has something which restricts us to mere fractions of our previous greatness. When we first landed we still had memories of our previous lives as demi god's and tried to preserve it in the Egyptian landscape... however it soon passed and the memories were forgotten, twisted, jumbled up by the something about the planet which imprisons us. Our creators tried to contact us and save us from our own demise but so far they have been unsuccessful, perhaps they have died off. Whatever, we are slowly unraveling the puzzle which traps us here. Someday we will finish the puzzle and we will reclaim our place as masters of the universe...

I just made that up.

How could you just make that up? I dreamed virtually this same thing 10 years ago. I think you have struck on who mankind really is. Now they will come and erase your brain. If we know this information we are not to tell others. At least you added that you think they may have died off. Maybe that statement will save you.
Now I got a ticket for thread crapping coming. Oh well
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #105 of 362
Re aiOtrons post.

Reminds me of a quote from my friend from years ago:

"The meek shall inherit the earth".
"The Strong shall inherit the universe"

Still tickles me.

Spose a ticket for thread crapping here too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back