What does your equalizer look like?
Oct 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 84
Flat or this
equibutts.jpg

Depending how I'm feeling. They should ban the 'Soft rock' setting.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if one turns off equalization in iTunes, does it default to flat?

Turning the iPod EQ to Off sounds different than the Flat setting.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 84
Oct 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #34 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we established 1 in every 10 head-fi'ers don't EQ :p

I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

Are you referring to the little knob on the side of a tonearm? I have used that.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the EQs that have been posted whats with all the +DB ~ wouldn't that create distortion? And all the bass boosting, that clearly is down to buying the wrong equipment for the sound you're looking for.

Yes. It makes the sound clip easier. Foobar has nifty feature called auto-level though. You increase the frequencies you like and press that button, and it lowers all frequencies so that the highest one gets set on 0db line. Winamp has level slider where you can adjust where the 0 line goes for same results.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the EQs that have been posted whats with all the +DB ~ wouldn't that create distortion? And all the bass boosting, that clearly is down to buying the wrong equipment for the sound you're looking for.

distortion happens with some equalizers when boosted and with some it doesnt. using my x-fi eq i can boost bass up 16 db and add 12 db bass boost with no distortion. on windows media player u cant add much at all and must minus out the eq sliders to what u want.

as to all the 'i dont use eq' wimpering. everything we buy affects the sound, every software media player, even the songs themselves are all recorded differently. one must use all the tools at his/her disposal!
only the people who mastered/mixed the recordings have heard a song 'the way its meant to be heard'. nobody else- unless its the guy sitting next to him.

i freely use an eq and i still buy way too many headphones and amps
L3000.gif

use what sounds good to you

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screenshot2009-10-23at24542AM.png

what headphones are you using with this? I've spent my entire time here trying to find headphones that don't have a spike right there, because almost all of them do. I can't imagine wanting to add more to this already spiky and painful area. Unless you're using HD650's
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #39 of 84
I have different profiles for different headphones, speakers ..
wink.gif

Pros use EQs.
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #40 of 84
Amateurs use EQ. I never use it.

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my neutral setting but sometimes I prefer a little more bass.

2vdi62g.jpg

That's neutral?????? +12dB?

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #42 of 84
Really bad cans perhaps?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amateurs use EQ. I never use it.

Real amateurs say that amateurs use EQ and pretend to never use it although they indirectly do just by listening to music.
wink.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Real amateurs say that amateurs use EQ and pretend to never use it although they indirectly do just by listening to music.
wink.gif
ksc75smile.gif

No they don't... if an artist produces a piece of music with a bass hump in the EQ, a flat EQ at our end would leave it sounding spot on. Furthermore and I've said this before, you would have to EQ separately for each artist, album and even track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back