What do you think about subjective opinions without any scientific basis?
May 25, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #31 of 65
(threadcrap)
Another thread of useless circular arguments. I'm sure it will satisfy the usual in this neck of the woods. What a lonely place to be!
(/threadcrap)

Gosh! Wasn't it nice of you to come in and raise the level of discourse like that! I've learned SO much from your pithy and enlightened analysis of our shortcomings. I'm REALLY impressed by your superiority!

May 25, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #33 of 65
...I would like to put my financing into a company that can solve some and alleviate most or all of the problems to keep the advancement in transducer technology. If that interests you, just send me a PM.
I think that you're going to find this is like looking for a needle in a haystack that was itself buried in a filed of haystacks. Ultimately so much of this hobby is utterly subjective. What one person prefers another may find annoying, a problem to one may be an advantage for another. It isn't simply the transducer, rather it is how the transducer works with the entire design, and even then, you have outer and inner ear shape and size to introduce variability, and there will be more confounds along the way. It is the variability and breadth of offerings that we need and while I certainly cannot say it is impossible I can say with a great degree of confidence that it is extremely unlikely any one technology or design approach could be everything to everyone. I don't think that is what you are suggesting that you seek, so I hope that you don't feel that I am over-simplifying and distorting your words. Good luck in your venture and by all means I hope one day to hear from you where it is that you decided to invest. Personally I think looking at companies who are focused on wireless technology is a smart bet, but that is simply the guess of a hobbyists and layperson. Cheers.

May 25, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #34 of 65
I think that you're going to find this is like looking for a needle in a haystack that was itself buried in a filed of haystacks. Ultimately so much of this hobby is utterly subjective. What one person prefers another may find annoying, a problem to one may be an advantage for another. It isn't simply the transducer, rather it is how the transducer works with the entire design, and even then, you have outer and inner ear shape and size to introduce variability, and there will be more confounds along the way. It is the variability and breadth of offerings that we need and while I certainly cannot say it is impossible I can say with a great degree of confidence that it is extremely unlikely any one technology or design approach could be everything to everyone. I don't think that is what you are suggesting that you seek, so I hope that you don't feel that I am over-simplifying and distorting your words. Good luck in your venture and by all means I hope one day to hear from you where it is that you decided to invest. Personally I think looking at companies who are focused on wireless technology is a smart bet, but that is simply the guess of a hobbyists and layperson. Cheers.
I know what you mean, don't worry, thanks for the heads up.

May 25, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 65
May 26, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #36 of 65
To be fair, ASR actually identified some shoddy engineering with Schiit that resulted in the company doing a much better job with subsequent efforts. When improvements were made ASR gave Schiit credit where credit was due. I find it a little odd that suddenly in this thread people are saying that measurements don't mater as much sometimes and the best way to judge things is with the ears. Isn't that exactly what subjective impressions are about? So what is it folks? Measurements matter or they don't, and if they don't then all the cable talk is valid as we don't need to measure anything to demonstrate a difference, just allow our ears to be the judge. Measurements are extremely important when they are able to point out audible issues, which if I remember with the Schiit gear that got panned on ASR was actually the case.

I was meaning more on speaker/headphone's not DACs. Since THD isn't a full guarantee of how they sound the ER4XR can reach 0.9% yet it sounds very detailed to stuff with <0.2% at 1KHz.

May 26, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #38 of 65
[1] As about as useful as me saying the moon is made of blue cheese.
[2] Just like how the DD vs BA/planar debates go there no real proof that detail/res and speed is even a thing,
[3] It could very well be that FR is much more complex than it looks.
[4] Same with spotify you'll get the same boring claims that 320 is easy but then change the subject when DBT is asked for?.

1. But if you did say that, then of course you'd be wrong. We have various scientific tests that allow us to determine the basic composition of the moon and of course we've actually been there and directly analysed moon samples.

2. There's plenty of proof of these differences in the basic driver technology, supplied to start with by Newton's basic laws of motion, mass and inertia. We also have to be careful to distinguish between "no real proof" and the existence of evidence/proof that we personally are not aware of. Not making this distinction is a common failing in the audiophile community, resulting in false assertions that "we don't know ..." (instead of "I don't know..."). This is due either to the proof/evidence not being publicly available (say behind a paywall or not publicly disseminated in the first place) or more commonly, because they simply couldn't be bothered to search for the actual evidence/proof. However, we also have to consider that we're not dealing with ONLY the basic driver technology: There are strengths and weaknesses with all of the different driver technologies, how the weaknesses are addressed/mitigated can vary between different manufacturers and almost invariably, the mitigation of weakness also reduces the "strengths", so, it's a case by case trade-off. In addition, the ultimate performance of headphones isn't solely determined by the driver technology anyway. The typical audiophile "DD vs BA/planar debate" is therefore a fallacious debate to start with!

3. Fundamentally, for that to be true, Fourier would have to be wrong and the technologies that rely on Fourier would not work, digital audio for example! However, "than it looks" introduces various subjective determinations! The subjective decision of how to present FR, as a hugely simplified published "specification" for example or say as a fully detailed waterfall plot and then, the subjective determination of how we interpret the presented FR. This is another typical failing of the audiophile community; not appreciating the difference between "measurement" and "published specifications".

4. It really isn't the same. We have a wealth of theoretical science that explains why 320 shouldn't be audible and reliable evidence that it isn't in practice, while with different headphone technologies we have a wealth of theoretical science that explains why they can sound different and reliable evidence that they can sound different in practice.

"I have a scientific background, one thing I learned is that: Always be skeptical about subjectivity, but be just as skeptical about "objectivity". Then try to live in peace between the two. "
Pretty much me in most ways since i don't support the ">1% distortion is bad" crowd that plagues ASR headphone/speaker threads.

I don't understand how not agreeing with the ">1% distortion is bad crowd" supports the assertion to be equally sceptical about subjectivity and objectivity, and "to live in peace between the two"? ">1% distortion" is an objective measurement that we don't need to be at all sceptical about, but whether that "is bad" (or not) is a subjective determination that we should be sceptical about. The actual truth does not live "between" these two facts, it lives in the objective measurement but also requires understanding what subjectivity is, it's importance and how it relates (or doesn't) to the objective measurements.

However, this raises the issue that some measurements have been developed in order to quantify what we perceive. In these cases, while the measurements themselves are still objective facts, how well they correlate to perception is not so clear cut. Typically they correlate either quite poorly (particularly older measurements of this type) or moderately well but only under specific conditions. This leads to numerous false assumptions and assertions in the audiophile world about the lack of accuracy/precision of ALL measurements, when the issue isn't the measurements themselves but how they are applied/interpreted relative to subjective perception. Distortion is a good example, because it generally doesn't directly correlate with subjective determinations at all, but sometimes can under certain conditions. For instance, rock music (and it's derivative sub-genres) largely relies on the fact that greater than 50% distortion is subjectively preferable to less than 1% distortion (with electric guitars for example) and even classical music relies to a significant extent on distortion, although acoustic distortion rather than electronic.

[1] The best way to determine audibility is with ears, preferably your own.
[2] A controlled listening test is the best way to determine audibility.
[3] When you go out to buy an amp, you look at the specs for two models. One has a noise floor of -130dB. The other has a noise floor of -100dB. One isn't "better sounding" than the other because you can't hear either noise floor when you are listening to music. They are both equally suitable for the purpose, and a controlled listening test would be the way to prove that.

1. No bigshot it's not! One's own ears are "preferable" ONLY for determining audibility for oneself, not necessarily "audibility" in general, for anyone or everyone else.

2. Again, not it's not. I realise my post #17 was probably too long for you to be bothered to read but not being bothered to read something is no excuse for repeating the same mistake, as you yourself point out to others!

3. And again, a controlled listening test is not "the" way to prove that, it would be "a" way to prove it for oneself. The measurement itself and logic would be another (and more reliable) way to prove it. For example, if listening to music at a peak level of say 90dBSPL (or lower) then even the amp with noise at -100dB would be producing noise at -10dBSPL, which will be inaudible.

Another thread of useless circular arguments. I'm sure it will satisfy the usual in this neck of the woods. What a lonely place to be!

Don't you find your post even slightly ironic? The audiophile community constantly relies on circular arguments to uphold it's many myths and false claims and could hardly be lonelier, as it's almost completely isolated even from the rest of the audio world, let alone science and other communities.

G

May 26, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #39 of 65
I was meaning more on speaker/headphone's not DACs. Since THD isn't a full guarantee of how they sound the ER4XR can reach 0.9% yet it sounds very detailed to stuff with <0.2% at 1KHz.

It's important to also keep in mind that distortion that is audible with tones may not be at all audible under the music you listen to.

May 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #40 of 65
And again, a controlled listening test is not "the" way to prove that, it would be "a" way to prove it for oneself.

I think that is exactly what I said... For a home audio enthusiast, their own ears are the only ones they have to please. It's their stereo, their living room, their noggin shape... What could be a better model to predict whether something sounds good to them or not? By doing controlled tests for themselves, they can learn how to listen critically and determine thresholds for themselves. That will help them understand the basics of how things work, figure out the best way to address problems, establish priorities of scale, and ultimately improve their own perceived sound quality. Since they are the one sitting on the couch listening to music, their own ears are the ones that should decide. Not some abstract number in a book determined by averaging a bell curve based on thousands of ears.

Honestly, if you just read what I write as a whole in context and made a minimal effort to understand what I am saying, you wouldn't be wasting so much time typing pointless replies. I take time to compose my posts in a way that I clearly state my criteria for judging and the specific point I am making. Try to resist the urge to shoehorn every half sentence into your own dogmatic context and consider things from other people's points of view. That way you won't be making as many straw man arguments, and you might understand other people better. I'm sure that would be beneficial to your social life.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #41 of 65
Shame things have to get so personal. The intelligence that I personally value the most and strive to improve upon in myself is emotional intelligence.

May 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 65
Just to make it clear, I'm not in the least bit frustrated or upset. When someone misunderstands my point, I try to clarify. When they continually miss the point, I'll try to suggest reasons why they might be doing that to offer them a clue. If I don't respect the person, I never reply at all.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 65
It's important to also keep in mind that distortion that is audible with tones may not be at all audible under the music you listen to.

At 0.1 ~ 0.6% i highly doubt that but above 1% i agree fully.

Edit: I love how there a dude getting sore i use a etymotic, As if me enjoying them is a crime. Are you like 12 years old or is this your first time meeting someone with differing views?. Your really cheesing me off now.

0.9 ~ 1.9% is ER4XR level the avg for the ER4SR/S is <0.6%, Since the ER4XR is casual users than the ER4SR. Etymotic dosen't expect the thd to be a issue outside of non music or art music like harsh noise/Drone ambient.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #44 of 65
At 0.1 ~ 0.6% i highly doubt that but above 1% i agree fully.

Conveniently where your Etys are!

Be careful with numbers: there's particular types of distortion which isn't audible even at -20 dB, and vice-versa, distortion which is audible even at -60 dB. Lemme see if I could dig up the discussion on AES about that.

May 27, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #45 of 65
With distortion, numbers are very easily misinterpreted. Measurements are more useful for response. But with competently designed modern solid state electronics, distortion isn't a problem. I think when it comes to amps and players, you can safely just assume transparency. For transducers, just listen with tones and reference recordings and see how it does. I tend to not trust manufacturer's ratings for THD anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back