What do you think about subjective opinions without any scientific basis?
May 22, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 65
I don't know if anyone here has read a biography of Thomas Edison, but it is interesting how different scientists were in the past than today. Edison had very little interest in pure science. He was entirely focused on solving the problem. When he invented the light bulb, he wasn't interested in the science behind the materials he used for the filament, he just tried everything he could think of until he found something that worked... he used horse hair, wires of various types, fabric, weird things he found in the bottom of kitchen drawers... it didn't matter. He was looking for a solution, and he would keep looking until he found it. This is a totally different mindset from today. Now we experiment to try to figure out things in theory and then try to think of a way to apply it. Edison turned that around and developed the practical application first, and then he thought about the theory. With that approach he created all kinds of technology, from recording to movies to electricity to light bulbs... even building structures with reinforced concrete! In his time, he was hailed as a genius of science, but if he was alive today, he would have mainstream science poo-pooing him, telling him that he was doing it all wrong. Food for thought!

Funny you say that because he was one of the pioneers of organised research, having one of the first established R&D labs formed.

Anyways, the reason that is is because approached it as an engineer, not as a scientist. Scientists seek to understand things, engineers seek to make something work. That's why his approach was like that: engineers today are similar. Some bit of spitballing first, then trying random things out. Hell, had that happen at work when we needed a quick solution of getting something conductive that wasn't meant to be conductive. The solution? Add contact lens solution to a bit of foam, and you've got yourself a conductive medium!

May 24, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #17 of 65
In the world of audio, the word 'subjective' has two meaning:
a] in the pro audio world, it's an ears only description, rating or preference.
b] in the audiophile world, it's whatever the audiophile says, becomes true.

Hmmm, I don't entirely agree with meaning [a]. Firstly, a "description, rating or preference" cannot be "ears only" because these determinations do not occur in the ears, they occur in the brain and are an outcome of perception. I believe it's important to make this distinction when audiophiles maybe about, because some/many false audiophile claims ultimately rely on this distinction not existing. Secondly, the meaning of "subjective" can vary significantly within different parts of the pro audio world. Music and sound engineers for example commonly use "subjective" to mean their own personal perception, as opposed to "objective" which means the perception of others (consumers), and one of the great challenges of music and sound engineers is maintaining this "objectivity". Of course, strictly/scientifically speaking and to the rest of the pro audio world, both of these are subjective.

[1] Subjective evaluation is a large part of my work and a large part of the audio industry a la Sean Olive and Floyd Toole. It is done in controlled settings and always has a hypothesis driving. We use subjective evaluation for many things in audio. We try to correlate findings to objective measures.
[2] But some things you can't put a microphone or an analyzer on. So you use humans.

Thanks for posting! It raises some interesting points that have been discussed in this subforum previously but are routinely ignored or misinterpreted/misapplied by other subforums here and the wider audiophile community.

1. The audiophile community tends to make an absolute division between "objective" and "subjective" which assumes they are polar opposites that never meet. This is a patently false assumption. While there is an absolute division between the two, we (science) can and do objectively measure at least some subjective determinations. More precisely, we apply the scientific method as far as is practical, for example: We control listening tests as far as is practical (which varies depending on what we're testing), have as large a sample size as is practical, apply scientific data analysis to the results and thereby end-up with an objective conclusion of a subjective perception. Albeit, an objective conclusion that represents a level of confidence, rather than absolute certainty.

2. Agreed, although again, it's important to note here on head-fi that those "some things" are all perceptual. Some/Many audiophiles falsely believe that "some things" includes objective properties of sound/audio (that can't be measured).

For consumers listening to music in the home for pleasure, transparency is the ultimate goal. You don't need anything better than that. And the best way to judge the threshold of transparency is with ears, not measurements.

That last sentence is not entirely true. Firstly, whose ears? For our own personal purposes all we need to be concerned about are our own ears but of course this isn't the "Our Personal Purposes" forum. Here in the sound science forum we are obviously concerned about the science, rather than one person's purposes or ears and therefore: We sometimes/often don't need to involve our own ears, we can rely on measurements derived from others' ears in scientific studies. Secondly, there are some situations where the best (most reliable) way to judge audible transparency is purely with measurements of objective audio/sound properties. Because, this completely eliminates the ever present possibility of some faulty procedure or statistical anomaly that can produce an erroneous result with all listening tests, even scientific studies. An obvious example of such a situation is where the measured difference is below the ability of a sound system/listening environment to reproduce.

I don't know if anyone here has read a biography of Thomas Edison, but it is interesting how different scientists were in the past than today. Edison had very little interest in pure science. He was entirely focused on solving the problem. When he invented the light bulb, he wasn't interested in the science behind the materials he used for the filament, he just tried everything he could think of until he found something that worked... he used horse hair, wires of various types, fabric, weird things he found in the bottom of kitchen drawers... it didn't matter. He was looking for a solution, and he would keep looking until he found it. This is a totally different mindset from today. Now we experiment to try to figure out things in theory and then try to think of a way to apply it. Edison turned that around and developed the practical application first, and then he thought about the theory. With that approach he created all kinds of technology, from recording to movies to electricity to light bulbs... even building structures with reinforced concrete! In his time, he was hailed as a genius of science, but if he was alive today, he would have mainstream science poo-pooing him, telling him that he was doing it all wrong. Food for thought!

Although maybe a common narrative, it's not really true.

Firstly, Edison did not invent the light bulb or the recording of movies (but I don't know about reinforced concrete). Edison must have been interested in the existing science/technology because he took that science and developed it further. The incandescent light bulb was invented 40 years before Edison's light bulb and used a carbon filament, which is where Edison started before going round the houses of trying other materials before ultimately returning to carbon again. If incandescence light produced by passing a current through a strip of metal hadn't already been demonstrated by science (80 years earlier by Davy) then obviously, Edison wouldn't have been looking to solve a problem he couldn't have known even existed! Similarly with movies, he took the existing work of others (Friese-Greene for example), but unlike his development of the light bulb, his "invention" of the movie camera was strongly disputed and his patent (only granted in the US) was acquired by some (allegedly) very unethical means. He was more a contributor to the invention of the movie camera rather than "The Inventor". But, just like today, science is often reported/presented with a political or commercial bias!

Secondly, for at least a couple of centuries, scientists have always been broadly been split into two camps, theorists and experimental scientists, and the same is true today. For example, Faraday is one of history's most important scientists who epitomises the experimental scientist, he (reportedly) had a rather poor understanding of theory/mathematics. It wasn't until Maxwell (one of the greatest theoreticians) took Faraday's work and formulated some of the most seminal scientific theories. Mainstream science didn't "poo-poo" Faraday in his day and doesn't today. A more recent example would be the work of the theorist Peter Higgs and the work of the experimental scientists (at CERN), and the fact that Higgs was not awarded the Nobel prize until the experimentalists had proven it, 50 years later. No one "poo poos" the experimentalists, although in my limited experience there is sometimes some friendly jibes between the two camps.

The "mindset" is not different today. Ironically, Edison's first successful light bulb test occurred a couple of weeks before the death of James Clerk Maxwell, the great theoretician, many of whose theories had little/no practical application at the time but from which practical applications were derived, wireless communications being just one of many examples. And, much of the science of audio/sound we have today is due to the pioneering work of commercial entities, whose R&D departments are looking for solutions to practical problems.

G

May 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 65
As about as useful as me saying the moon is made of blue cheese. Just like how the DD vs BA/planar debates go there no real proof that detail/res and speed is even a thing, It could very well be that FR is much more complex than it looks. Same with spotify you'll get the same boring claims that 320 is easy but then change the subject when DBT is asked for?.

I have a scientific background, one thing I learned is that: Always be skeptical about subjectivity, but be just as skeptical about "objectivity". Then try to live in peace between the two.

Pretty much me in most ways since i don't support the ">1% distortion is bad" crowd that plagues ASR headphone/speaker threads.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 65
Hmmm, I don't entirely agree with meaning [a]. Firstly, a "description, rating or preference" cannot be "ears only" because these determinations do not occur in the ears, they occur in the brain and are an outcome of perception.....................................................................
G
Wow, don't you really understand what I meant by an "ears only" listening test?

May 25, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 65
Of course he understands, but he wants to be very clear for good reason as he explains:
I believe it's important to make this distinction when audiophiles maybe about, because some/many false audiophile claims ultimately rely on this distinction not existing.

May 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 65
Pretty much me in most ways since i don't support the ">1% distortion is bad" crowd that plagues ASR headphone/speaker threads.
I find ASR very insensitive and mean against people that are just starting to learn the principles of audio science, also they value measurement perfection so much (I understand that it is important) that gear that measures good but not as perfect (ex. Schiit stuff vs Topping) is disregarded as a valid recommendation.

May 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 65
Ears do not interpret, they just pick up and convert sound pressure levels into electrical pulses; the brain is what actually interprets those signals into what we describe as sound.

May 25, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #23 of 65
For my stereo, the best judge is my ears. For your stereo, the best judge is your ears. It's exactly the same with wives, dogs and whiskey. Each person gets to choose for themselves! I know some guys choose a wife just based on measurements, but Hoo-Boy! that can be a recipe for trouble! Burn in is a big problem there!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 65
I find ASR very insensitive and mean against people that are just starting to learn the principles of audio science, also they value measurement perfection so much (I understand that it is important) that gear that measures good but not as perfect (ex. Schiit stuff vs Topping) is disregarded as a valid recommendation.

Yep, It's blind chart support there they can't grasp who care cares about Schiit being worse when avg thd for speakers/headphones is 0.6 ~ 12%?. Which can get cringy quick when some come out enjoying the ER4XR, a RS1e & some 2.1 monitors on a topping DAC.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 65
Also, some kinds of distortion sound worse at lower ratings than others at higher ones. The best way to design is with numbers. The best way to listen is with ears. Thankfully, the average level of fidelity in home audio is very high. It's not nearly as easy to go wrong as it was in the past. Listeners don't have to be engineers. They can just do what they can to eliminate bias and perceptual error and decide with their ears.

May 25, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #26 of 65
To be fair, ASR actually identified some shoddy engineering with Schiit that resulted in the company doing a much better job with subsequent efforts. When improvements were made ASR gave Schiit credit where credit was due. I find it a little odd that suddenly in this thread people are saying that measurements don't mater as much sometimes and the best way to judge things is with the ears. Isn't that exactly what subjective impressions are about? So what is it folks? Measurements matter or they don't, and if they don't then all the cable talk is valid as we don't need to measure anything to demonstrate a difference, just allow our ears to be the judge. Measurements are extremely important when they are able to point out audible issues, which if I remember with the Schiit gear that got panned on ASR was actually the case.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 65
To be fair, ASR actually identified some shoddy engineering with Schiit that resulted in the company doing a much better job with subsequent efforts. When improvements were made ASR gave Schiit credit where credit was due. I find it a little odd that suddenly in this thread people are saying that measurements don't mater as much sometimes and the best way to judge things is with the ears. Isn't that exactly what subjective impressions are about? So what is it folks? Measurements matter or they don't, and if they don't then all the cable talk is valid as we don't need to measure anything to demonstrate a difference, just allow our ears to be the judge. Measurements are extremely important when they are able to point out audible issues, which if I remember with the Schiit gear that got panned on ASR was actually the case.
I really appreciate everyone who interfered and gave direction for Schiit and other companies to improve, and the measurements of previous equipment were more than necessary to arrive at these conclusions. But what I argue by measurements is somewhat different, I argue to not obsess with measurements, because the average Topping DAC has a noise floor of -140 dBFS and the Schiit one of -120 dBFS doesn't mean the Schiit one is audibly worse since both are way outside the threshold of hearing. And those numbers usually are what makes Schiit the laughing stock of ASR, and recommending their products can trigger a reaction of some of their members that is nothing positive or understanding. I am not going to judge the whole forum, but some of its members don't remember that companies can change and improve or that two measurements can be equally transparent even if one is better. Measurements are important, but how important are improvements that already hit the curve of diminishing returns is what must be discussed and is what leads to measurement fanatism for some.

May 25, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #28 of 65
I find it a little odd that suddenly in this thread people are saying that measurements don't mater as much sometimes and the best way to judge things is with the ears. Isn't that exactly what subjective impressions are about?

Measurements are the best way to objectively quantify differences. But the only way for a measurement to tell you if a difference is audible is to apply an interpretation to the numbers. As we all know, some people claim they can hear a fly's wings beat at a half mile distance. They point at numbers that are very small and call the molehill a mountain. Other people take the absolutist approach and say that there was once a 12 year old girl in Madagascar who could hear frequencies so high only bats can hear. They argue that we need to make home audio equipment to suit that one in a billion girl riding a goat in a farm village listening to cosmic rays. Numbers are a great way to determine an abstract idea of the relative scale, but they can be twisted in interpretation to mean whatever you want.

The best way to determine audibility is with ears, preferably your own. You minimize the subjectivity of human hearing by doing a blind test. You minimize perceptual error by level matching and switching directly back and forth at will. A controlled listening test is the best way to determine audibility.

When you go out to buy an amp, you look at the specs for two models. One has a noise floor of -130dB. The other has a noise floor of -100dB. One isn't "better sounding" than the other because you can't hear either noise floor when you are listening to music. They are both equally suitable for the purpose, and a controlled listening test would be the way to prove that. A lot of people throw around numbers without having a clue what those numbers represent in sound you can hear. They are usually the ones who refuse to do a blind listening test or poo poo them as being inaccurate.

the average Topping DAC has a noise floor of -140 dBFS and the Schiit one of -120 dBFS doesn't mean the Schiit one is audibly worse since both are way outside the threshold of hearing.

Bread and butter! Great minds think alike.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 65
Another thread of useless circular arguments. I'm sure it will satisfy the usual in this neck of the woods. What a lonely place to be!
Since I am studying finance and I would like to invest in a company that fabricates transducers, I would like to know the specific advantages and disadvantages of each transducer type and their applications, but I would require people that actually have experience on the field or really know how each type of transducer work at a very deep level; that'll be a really interesting thread I would love. I would like to put my financing into a company that can solve some and alleviate most or all of the problems to keep the advancement in transducer technology. If that interests you, just send me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back