What do you guys listen to?
Aug 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #46 of 90

Quote:
The real question is, how is 3/4th of the people on here more charmed to unmoving sounding headphones more than ones that essentially make music worth listening to? I mean fairly, they go above and beyond with modding their headphones to even make them more dead than they are...almost unrevealed, alien-like.

Bloated bass does not make music enjoyable, neither does a frequency response that rides like a rollercoaster.  I've been there, done that, got bored of it and now crave accurate timbre and something balanced that's not going to override other frequencies.  I'm a pianist, guitarist, and drummer - I want to hear those instruments as I know them, clear and in detail. 

"Lifeless" is far, far from it.

Anyway, I'm 25, and listen to anything with a good melody (rock, country, metal, jazz, opera, ebm, etc etc).  I particularly love classical due to it's variety and ability to effectively say what so many other genres attempt to.  No, there's no teenage angst that works to grab the average highschooler (eminem, green day, jayz, etc), but if you can get past that - you'll find a genre full of depth and a range of emotions.        

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #47 of 90
I listen to literally everything. Good to enjoy music from every direction.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #48 of 90
Jpop (mostly saccharin idol stuff and 70/80's idols), Enka, Classical with a preference for Baroque, Classical guitar.

Lute/Mandolin and Harpsichords are <3
redface.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #49 of 90
Instead of just naming a genre like "classical", let's get specific and give us a couple songs we could start listening to and from their, people can explore the area a bit.

Quote:

Bloated bass does not make music enjoyable, neither does a frequency response that rides like a rollercoaster.  I've been there, done that, got bored of it and now crave accurate timbre and something balanced that's not going to override other frequencies.  I'm a pianist, guitarist, and drummer - I want to hear those instruments as I know them, clear and in detail. 

"Lifeless" is far, far from it.

Anyway, I'm 25, and listen to anything with a good melody (rock, country, metal, jazz, opera, ebm, etc etc).  I particularly love classical due to it's variety and ability to effectively say what so many other genres attempt to.  No, there's no teenage angst that works to grab the average highschooler (eminem, green day, jayz, etc), but if you can get past that - you'll find a genre full of depth and a range of emotions.        

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #50 of 90

Quote:
I go hard for eminem, hollywood undead, jay-z, t.i., linkin park, 50 cent, toby mac, john mayer, green day, etc...you get the point right? very broad line up here

That's what you call a broad line up? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Also:

Quote:
you shouldn't call something that requires real talent trash

If that's true then why did you refer to classical music and jazz as "monkey crap"? It takes a hell of a lot more skill to make than any of that mainstream garbage you listen to does.

You should take a while to read your posts before submitting them, this should prevent you from making yourself look naive and stupid in future.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #51 of 90

Quote:

That's what you call a broad line up? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Also:

If that's true then why did you refer to classical music and jazz as "monkey crap"? It takes a hell of a lot more skill to make than any of that mainstream garbage you listen to does.

You should take a while to read your posts before submitting them, this should prevent you from making yourself look naive and stupid in future.

Thank you! 
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #52 of 90
Since we're talking age, I'm 38. Tastes range from classical (medieval to 20th century, I enjoy a good 700 years of composition, early jazz through contemporary, rock (classics, alternative, prog, and much else), classic and alt country, world music (mostly African), folk, roots, bluegrass, gospel, and probably a few I'm forgetting.

Not much rap, which is almost entirely derivative and a monumental snore today. It's badly produced children's music - the same little snippets of a hook repeated over and over and over. It never develops, never goes anywhere, and amounts to very little other than impressing the easily impressed with bad words and glamorized ghetto slang. The only other genre with endless repetition and simpleton tropes is children's music. Rap just adds a little naughtiness to to provide a superficial difference from Gerber's to microwavable snack-packs. Commercial pop and country aren't much better. I don't have much use for scream/Cookie Monster metal, either. Anything else is fair game.

Colored gear? Please. We all go through that phase and the endless upgrade cycle that kicks in when you get tired of a particular flavoring.

I read the OP's post to mean that bass bloat is a good thing. That is like a child who insists on putting ketchup on everything because he wants everything to taste like ketchup.

When you grow up and no longer need audiophile baby food, there's plenty to enjoy.

Why would I want bass slop ruining k.d. lang's vocals? I want a harpsichord to sound like a harpsichord does, not like it's under water. If you spend some time around live music, as I have, unnatural sound is supremely irritating. You're supposed to hear what the artist and recording engineer intended, not a bunch of transducer-introduced crap that isn't actually on the recording.

If bass slop and bloat are important to help you listen to children's music, there's plenty of gear to help you achieve that. Fortunately, there's accurate gear for those of us who prefer music as it was intended.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #53 of 90
A lot of classical (since I play violin), classic rock, and soundtracks (game, movie, musical, etc). I also listen to sprinklings of everything else such as jazz, popular, etc.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #54 of 90
^Ouch!  Nicely put.

I'm 41 and listen to everything from 70's rock to older rap (80's mostly) and blues.  Love me some blues.  Also listen to a lot of instruemental rock.  The problem with the OP's first post is that you're not really seeing this site for all it's worth.  Yes, there might be a more "seasoned" crew doing most of the writing here, but you shouldn't just read a few posts and bass your opinions on those.  Read all you can so that you get a very broad view. 

I don't care much for anything recorded from the mid 90's on.  We have gotten to a place where rock bands and rap artists and bands like Hollywood Undead are mastering their music at 90 to 95db.  It wouldn't matter if you owned a 9 thousand dollar set of cans or a 6 dollar JVC marshmellow.  It's going to sound like garbage either way.  One might be able to pick up nuances in the garbage, but it's still garbage. 

I like your post though.  I appreciate the statement you're trying to make.  I didn't notice your headphone lineup listed anywhere.  Perhaps you can share your "Headphone Wall" with us. 

Also, since it's mostly old fogies that are doing all the posting here, it might be time for you to get out there and start reviewing your favorite cans and giving us "The Rest of the Story."  Sorry, that one is humor for old farts!!  lol.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #55 of 90
I'm 53 and listen to a fairly wide range of Jazz ... from Dave Brubeck to Stanley Turentine to newer fusion.  I listen to some classical and even some country (who doesn't love "My Wife Thinks You're Dead" by Junior Brown).  Having graduated from high school in 76 and college in 80, I'm a major fan of 70's rock -- Zeppelin, BTO, Frampton, Steve Miller, Nilsson, Alice Cooper, Queen, and Bob Seger to name a few.  Hate to admit it but I'm still a sucker for "Convoy" by CW McCall ... not really music, but fun to listen to.  More lately I've been listening to a great CD I bought at Starbucks ... a Peggy Lee compilation called "Come Rain or Shine" ... and Sade's "Soldier of Love".  

I know that's all over the map ... and I also listen to a little metal ... but can't stand rap, except for "Convoy" ... the original rap song :)

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #56 of 90
55 next month. Pretty much everything in the classical repertoire from Bach to the present day. I play violin and viola, in an orchestra, a piano trio and a string trio.  I think that whatever kind of music you like, actually being able to play it opens the way to a whole different level of involvement and pleasure as a listener. I like bright, clear sound with believable instrument timbres i.e. no boxy or honky midrange colorations (and no muddy, sloppy bass).

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #57 of 90
29, and been playing violin for the past 23 years, though I quit lessons right before college (but I still get opportunities to play somewhere every now and then). I wouldn't say playing an instrument like violin necessarily means one also listens to classical music though (as some have previously said), because I really did not like classical music back when I took lessons and couldn't stand to listen to it. In fact, when I got my first job and could buy my own music, literally the only genre I listened to for years was electronica/trip-hop - it sorta became my escape from all of the Suzuki books and classical music.
wink.gif

In the past few years I've since expanded my musical palette to cover a lot more genres than just electronica/trip-hop: alternative, rock (classic, prog, alt/indie, etc), film soundtracks, bluegrass/alt-country/folk, and more recently jazz, blues, soul, industrial, & metal, and even classical, which I'm rediscovering. My current music preferences are now so varied that I can go from listening to Bach and then switch to The Crystal Method then over to Alison Krauss & Union Station, then over to Porcupine Tree, and then something like In Flames or Megadeth (and along the way I might spin some Dave Brubeck). I find there's always something sonically (and musically) interesting from every genre.
smile.gif

I will freely admit to not liking rap, hip-hop, or Top 40-ish pop at all though - I've tried more than once to get into those but have never been able to.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #58 of 90
@ supersleuth and ASR

As a violist myself, I find it so easy to pick apart gear and recordings. The ear training from learning my instrument gives me insight and the ability to isolate and process certain parts of a recording most lay persons simply can't fathom. I have insane reactions to excellently recorded music I would like even if it was poorly recorded.

One of the things that comes with a highly trained ear is a wide ranging musical taste, I've found. As long as the music is performed well and decently well recorded I can enjoy almost anything (rap is not music, mmkay?). My taste ranges very similarly to ASR, from my beloved DG Beethoven symphony cycle to Opeth prog-metal to jrock to Lynyrd Skynyrd classic rock to Norah Jones ballads to Nickel Creek bluegrass fusion to Radiohead and Foo Fighters to Dave Brubeck and all in between.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #59 of 90
Am in a phase of exploring all that the wonderful Portland music scene has to offer. Having the rad DJ Rachelle as my very close friend and confidant certainly has its perks. I get to sit in for live studio performances from established and up and coming portland bands including Hello Morning, Kelli Schaefer, Josh Martinez, Marv Ellis, Builders and the buthchers..the list keeps going.

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #60 of 90
I'm 23 and I listen to quite various genres, I grew up listening to 90s euro-techno (artists like Cappella, Solid Base, Maxxx, DJ Bobo, Mr. President, Samira etc) so electronica has a big place in my heart, but yea I listen to for example vocal trance (Groove Coverage, Cascada, DJ Sammy, Milk Inc, Lasgo, DJs @ Work, Sylver etc), melody trance (DJ Mangoo, DJ Contacreast for example), (euro)dance (Aqua, E-Type, Alice Deejay, Dee Dee, Solid Base etc)  breakbeat (DJ Babyboi<3, DJ Toy mostly) and select hardstyle songs (needs good tunes in it aside from the brain-pumping lowbass assoctiated with hardstyle like The Beholder & DJ Zany - Euphoria, The Nasty Boyz - Angel, JDX Feat. Sarah Mariah - Live the moment etc).

Also listen to some generic pop (Pink, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Leona Lewis (which studio recordings doesn't her justice) among others. I also listen to some rock and metal both old and new, Europe being my absolute old fav but also newer like Nightwish and Within Temptation. I also like the group Snow Patrol and especially "Run".

Also I listen to a lot ballads and power ballads, old and new. Since I play keyboard/piano as hobby I especially like ballads with piano in it. There are too many to mention but some of my favs would be Whyte Shadow - You are the one, Yuri Chika - I Cry, White Lion - When the Children Cry (mostly cuz the guitar sounds so awesome), Agnes Carlsson - Right here right now, Heart - Alone, Richard Marx - Right here waiting, Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll be missing you.

Then I also like listening to various video game music and remixes of them, this ranges from say new PS3 to old Commodore 64 music or chiptunes. I own Journey to Silius NES game and I'm happy I got this game cuz it has like perhaps the best NES music in it IMO, nevermind about the average but quite difficult sidescrolling shooter as long I get to hear the music. :D Then especially SNES and PS1 rpg titles had many superb tracks, especially from Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Lufia, Lunar and Chrono series. To give a few examples: FF7 - Aerith's Theme, FF6 - Aria di Mezzo Carattere, FF10 - To Zanarkand, FF5 - Battle with Gilgamesh, FF6 - Forever Rachel, Star Ocean 2nd Story - Cuddle, Lunar 2 - Lucia vs Zophar, Lunar 2 - Boss Battle, Lufia II - Battle Theme 2, Lufia II - Mysterious Woman and an epic remix of it Lufia II Turbid Guidande OC Remix, Chrono Trigger - Peaceful Days, Chrono Trigger - Wind Scene, Chrono Cross - Arni Village.

I could continue forever and I probably forgot to mention many I like but there's really 2 main genres that I don't usually listen to and that's blues & jazz, that's not my cup of tea. Reggea perhaps not so much either and Rap and hip-hop  very seldom as well and only a select few tracks.

(PS, sorry about the low quality youtube links ^^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back