What do you do when you can't hear headphones before buying them?
May 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I still want to get some Denon D5000s but there isn't a single place around here that sells them in store, so I can't listen to them before dropping $430.  What would you do in this case?  I haven't looked around at the various return policies to see if I'd get hammered with a re-stocking fee or anything.

May 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I assume that nobody around you (friends, acquaintances, etc) have it either?

Your best bet would be to buy it from a store that has a good return policy, just in case you don't like it.

What headphones do you currently have/what kind of music do you like/what are you looking for in a pair of headphones?

May 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I didn't get to listen to any of the headphones I've bought before buying so I just bought them from places where I could return them for free. 

If you're in the States, Amazon is easy to deal with and their return policy is very good. 

May 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 10
Go to a meet.

May 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Amazon may still be an authorized dealer, they offer return policy. Note their maybe traders on Amazon that are not authorized. Should say 'shipped and sold by amazon' - something like that.

I had a d5000 from Amazon but it was faulty, return was no problem. Good bass headphone, if you get them look into the Lawnton mods and definately the pads to smooth out the frequency response.

Edit: I only assume the lawnton pads smooth out the frequency response like the Jmoney pads. You can see the graphs at innerfidelity.

May 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I still want to get some Denon D5000s but there isn't a single place around here that sells them in store, so I can't listen to them before dropping $430.  What would you do in this case?  I haven't looked around at the various return policies to see if I'd get hammered with a re-stocking fee or anything.

Heya,

HeadRoom (Headphone.com) has a no question asked return policy. Get a headphone there. Audition it a while. You have like 30 days. If you like it enough to keep it, do so. Otherwise, you can always return it. And if you're a real penny pincher, you could return it and then try to get it cheaper elsewhere (such as used) after having auditioned it. I've done it with several headphones through Amazon and some of their third party vendors without issue.

The D5000 is an excellent headphone though, I think you'll be quite pleased with it for all purposes.

Very best,

May 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I assume that nobody around you (friends, acquaintances, etc) have it either?

Your best bet would be to buy it from a store that has a good return policy, just in case you don't like it.

What headphones do you currently have/what kind of music do you like/what are you looking for in a pair of headphones?

Nope, no one I know has anything better than garbage Skullcandy or Beats.

Right now I have Grado SR225s and listen to a bunch of stuff...  rock, metal, acoustic, jazz, progressive.  I'm just bored of the 225s, I'm tired of them feeling like a $50 pair of headphones and being uncomfortable for long listening sessions.

I plan on listening to the D5000s through my HM601 and my PC, I'll probably pick up an amp along with them.

Thanks for the other suggestions too guys, I was going to order from Amazon if anyone since they have them for $433 right now, so I'll check to see if they're still a dealer.  I'll check Headphone.com out too.

I did find one semi local place that carries Denon but when I emailed him awhile back he said he didn't have any D5000s, but could order them for me.  Kind of defeats the purpose though.

May 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 10
wow, i can't believe no one suggested the obvious - buy it used here on the for sale forums and if you don't like it (or even if you do) and decide to sell it, you likely won't take a big hit.  you also won't dishonestly use a retailer if the intent is to borrow from them merely to try without the intent to actually buy it from them.

May 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 10
I didn't know Denon was discontinuing the D5000 and D7000...  I emailed a place to see if they had any D5000s in stock and they said no, but they did have the Grado PS500 and said I may find that better in every way.  Back to the drawing board I guess, need to do some research on those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back