What dac/amp, amp, or dac should I buy with a budget of a $100?
Nov 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sound N00b

Head-Fier
I currently have a budget of $100 but I can spend more later. I have akg k712 pros which I am currently powering through a sound blaster z card. Should I buy a $100 amp such as a schiit magni (feel free to recommend something else) and buy a dedicated dac later or should I buy a dac/amp combo for a $100 now (please recommend one if so) or buy a dedicated dac for $100 first (again recommend one for me). By the way portability is not a concern for me.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 14
You can't just use an external dac with a soundcard unfortunately. I vote grab either the Magni 3 or Fulla 2. I'd lean towards the Magni 3 now and then Modi 2 later. Both are the best amp and DAC under $100 IMO by a long shot

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 14
I currently have a budget of $100 but I can spend more later. I have akg k712 pros which I am currently powering through a sound blaster z card. Should I buy a $100 amp such as a schiit magni (feel free to recommend something else) and buy a dedicated dac later or should I buy a dac/amp combo for a $100 now (please recommend one if so) or buy a dedicated dac for $100 first (again recommend one for me). By the way portability is not a concern for me.

You can't buy just the DAC first, otherwise how will it drive the headphones? Better save up and get a DAC-HPamp that has optical input so it can utilize the DSP on your soundcard while the amplifier stage or the amp you get with it will be able to drive the K712 cleaner than your SBZ does.

Schiit Modi2 Uber + Vali2
AudioGD NFB-11

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 14
What's this Schiit multibit crap? They charge much greater for that feature. Does it really make a difference?
Apparently it's much better than their standard version DACs. It's their own hardware and from what I've read, it's anything but crap

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi Sound Noob,

If you can get the Lexicon Alpha, that's a good computer usb interface which serves as a good external soundcard that would fit well into your budget with a good headphone out to enjoy your k712 pros more.

Save the average $ 30 for something else later on instead of getting the magni...

That's just my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Hi Sound Noob,

If you can get the Lexicon Alpha, that's a good computer usb interface which serves as a good external soundcard that would fit well into your budget with a good headphone out to enjoy your k712 pros more.

Save the average $ 30 for something else later on instead of getting the magni...

That's just my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.
That thing puts out 20mW into 50 ohms which is beyond pathetic :/ I wouldn't use that with the k712 pro if somebody literally paid me to do it. Magni 3 is 30 bucks more and is way more capable to drive your headphones. Running the K712 pro out of that interface would be a massive waste of money

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Hi Cossix,
Not to be rude but are you just reading the specs or have you actually demo a Lexicon Alpha as I've had this thing a long time & I can tell you there are no issues powering headphones with higher impedence than Sound Noob's 712.
Also, this is highly subjective but sound quality is extremely good nor is power alone everything in regards to powering headphones.

Once again, highly subjective but I have tried head amps which have way more power than the magni 2 & my own Alpha, some of these are around the same budget or way higher but most have been rejected due to sounding like crap which is why I don't like the magni or any thing else really from that company but that's just my own highly subjective preference.
This doesn't mean I don't have a separate headamp which I do, several in fact but the next point from my main source is the Alpha.

Personally, there are very few head amps out there which sound good by power alone, sound quality is important which is why source always matters.

Hi Sound Noob,
A straight head amp I can recommend though is a little out of your budget though may be workable at a pro audio store is Presonus HP4.

Hope this helps

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 14
You heard the noticible difference? Are there AB comparison reviews to show multibit is worthwhile?
I haven't heard the Multibit architecture but plenty of people here have, and I've read countless posts and reviews where people say it's pretty damn good for the price. Many people just get the Modi Multibit, pair it with their much more expensive amp, and never buy another DAC again

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi to everyone,

Well, looks like I'm finished with providing any positive info on this thread...

just a general statement, everyone has a preference which is personal & subjective, sometimes back & forth as well as potential product baiting doesn't help give clear answers to newcomers in particular...
I understand there are fan people for certain products which is why forums in general exist in the first place...the thing to remember though is don't say to others things are crap or the like especially when you haven't tried it personally yourself...
As others have pointed out before, can someone really hear the difference between something, especially in a blind test?
Really don't think so but hey what do I know, just a humble audio enthusiast who leans towards professional audio as it personally suits me more than consumer...

Remember, nothing wrong with being a fan of something to a degree, just don't make it like it should be the only thing that exists...
Trying different things is why this hobby exists in the first place, as do many other hobbies, sure, there are some things across the board which are better than others but doesn't mean one thing should be potentially discarded over the other just because...

Hope this helps

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 14
+1 on the Magni 3. I absolutely love mine, and its pretty good when paired with the Modi Multibit. I did run it off my motherboard in my PC for a bit and it was fine for all intents and purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back