What comes after M50 and D2000
Oct 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

proteinpig

100+ Head-Fier
Let me keep this short.
My rig is foobar -> Musiland monitor 02 US -> Little Dot I+ (Mullard 8083/LT1364) -> HP
I own M50 - like them - would like them better if the highs were slightly rolled over
I own D2000 - love them - would love them more if they had more thump to the bass - the bass is beautiful but I "sometimes" prefer "sub-woofer like" bass which these don't have (I will have to accept that I'm a basshead).
I think DT770 Pro-80 might satisfy my needs. Will they?
If the answer is YES, I have one more constraint - can I use the same gain settings on Little Dot I+ for both D2000 and DT770 Pro-80?  I don't want to open it up each time I want to switch cans.
If the answer is NO to either of these questions, what other (low impedance) cans do you guys suggest? Budget = $200

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the suggestion. How do they compare to D2000/M50 in mids and highs? I heard that Shure cans are usually a little bright. I will definitely add them to my list of cans to research.
Why this deafening silence from the rest of the head-fiers? Is it an indication that I'm asking something redundant and should use the search button instead? I did read a lot. I don't have satisfactory answers yet.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 19
The 770 has subwoofer type bass, but the highs are not rolled off at all and the mids are a bit recessed. Can you roll some tubes with that amp? With my SOHA I have some tubes that are very detailed and others that are rolled off a bit in the highs. Cheaper than new phones.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. How do they compare to D2000/M50 in mids and highs? I heard that Shure cans are usually a little bright. I will definitely add them to my list of cans to research.
Why this deafening silence from the rest of the head-fiers? Is it an indication that I'm asking something redundant and should use the search button instead? I did read a lot. I don't have satisfactory answers yet.

As a complete newbie in the full-size headphone scene, I can only say that the SRH750-DJ is probably the least bright out of Shure. The bass is a lot more punchy, but the mid and high aren't as noticeable. I am just saying this out of comparison to the SRH840 (which I own) and could only say the impression I have from auditioning SRH750-DJ when I was mulling over that and the SRH840.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand, since you already got the M-50 and you prefer the highs to slightly roll over, I would definitely not recommend the SRH840 to you. The high, in my opinion, don't exactly roll over. In my humble opinion, I do think the M-50 is a better choice than the SRH750-DJ already. So, I doubt that is much of an upgrade.
frown.gif

Sorry, aside from crossing out the entire Shure line out for you, I don't exactly have any suggestions. I hope your hunt goes well though!

EDIT: I just thought I should note the M50 preference over the SRH750-DJ is just my preference. If you prefer a more punchy headphone, with slightly diminished mids and highs, these may be a good consideration. I just don't think the differences are enough to say that these headphones are what comes "after" the M50 and D2000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 19
what about trying some Sony XB's series like the XB700.  Everyone basshead should try the XBs series at least ones. hehe they'll keep your head shaking.  The Highs and mids could be better, but still are very clear and crisp.  They are only 80 bucks too.  If not what about some ultrasone?

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for all the suggestions. I might actually like XB700 but I am skeptical about buying them as I have read lot of negative comments on them. How bad are the mids and highs? Are the mids/highs comparable to say PX100 or PX200 ?
Quote:
The 770 has subwoofer type bass, but the highs are not rolled off at all and the mids are a bit recessed. Can you roll some tubes with that amp? With my SOHA I have some tubes that are very detailed and others that are rolled off a bit in the highs. Cheaper than new phones.

Do you think DT770 has more emphasized highs than D2000?
I tried Jan 5654 / Mullard M8083 / Raytheon 5654 and none of them tame the highs. Any tube suggestions?

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 19
If nothing fits the bill, I'll take a step back and get the XB700s just for times when I feel like having a sub-woofer in my head. I wouldn't really care if the mids and highs are recessed during that phase. Any suggestions other than the XB700 for that?

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 19
Never tried the px100 or px200,  but I think the sony xb700 highs and mids are fine.  If I didn't like them, I would have sold them already.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 19
I have read a few people on here say that the mids and highs of the XB500's are a little more acceptable.

But I haven't heard them myself so I am probably not the best person for this.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I have read a few people on here say that the mids and highs of the XB500's are a little more acceptable.

But I haven't heard them myself so I am probably not the best person for this.

Depends what you're looking for really, mids are maybe slightly more forward on XB500 and the highs are a lot more smoother while XB700 is a lot more bright, un-EQd the XB500 can sound a bit "muffled" due to lack of brightness and heavy upper bass / lower mid range focus which can easily be adjusted with a little EQing. So depends if you like smooth/dark highs or you like bright emphasized highs. Mids may be tiny bit less recessed on XB500 tho but again due to XB500 being bassier than XB700 this is required for the bass to not completely overpower it. XB700 mostly got LOTS of soft sub-bass and lacks some punch & impact while XB500 delivers LOTS of both sub-bass and punchy upper bass. Some people prefer XB500, others XB700, I've tried to tell this so many times it's all down to what you prefer how it should sound like not which sounds better. I'm sure either XB500 or XB700 depending on taste as they are quite a lot different should appeal to bassheads from a bang-for-buck ratio perspective, it's not really all about bass but for this price you can't demand a lot but they do well for the price, so well I've sold DT770 and M50 (which both cost around 145€ over here so saw the opportunity so save some cash too) after discovering the Sony XB series which was something I never had imagined. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for only bass but I thought the XB did great versus M50 and DT770 even when bass is put aside, especially the mids suprised me positively, headphones at this price point usually have recessed mids but I think they are very well present on XB500 and XB700, so much that I've started to lower the bass a little than what I used before I got the XBs as the mids especially sounds so full and natural which all my previous headphones lacked a bit with (M50's mids were good tho but I didn't like the highs of it).

If you thought D2000 lacked that "thump" in the bass then XB700 might not be for you either as they both have similar type of bass, soft & rumbling deep bass. XB500 goth both soft & deep rumbling bass + punchy upper bass. If you also thought the highs of the M50 could be a bit more rolled over it sounds like you'd like a smoother/dark sounding headphone like XB500 more as the M50 and XB700 have fairly same sounding highs (in my ears XB700 highs were somewhat more tolerable but they stand out a bit too much for my liking), so I'd suggest as a compliment to your "subwoofer bass-needs" pick up a cheap XB500. XB500 won't even need to be amped and if you'd amp it be sure to use the lowest gain possible cuz these are extremely sensitive.

EDIT: Don't think DT770 either would really fit what you're looking for, the highs are fairly bright on DT770 and mids are somewhat recessed and the bass is mostly boomy and lacks the midbass hump somewhat.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

Depends what you're looking for really, mids are maybe slightly more forward on XB500 and the highs are a lot more smoother while XB700 is a lot more bright, un-EQd the XB500 can sound a bit "muffled" due to lack of brightness and heavy upper bass / lower mid range focus which can easily be adjusted with a little EQing. So depends if you like smooth/dark highs or you like bright emphasized highs. Mids may be tiny bit less recessed on XB500 tho but again due to XB500 being bassier than XB700 this is required for the bass to not completely overpower it. XB700 mostly got LOTS of soft sub-bass and lacks some punch & impact while XB500 delivers LOTS of both sub-bass and punchy upper bass. Some people prefer XB500, others XB700, I've tried to tell this so many times it's all down to what you prefer how it should sound like not which sounds better. I'm sure either XB500 or XB700 depending on taste as they are quite a lot different should appeal to bassheads from a bang-for-buck ratio perspective, it's not really all about bass but for this price you can't demand a lot but they do well for the price, so well I've sold DT770 and M50 (which both cost around 145€ over here so saw the opportunity so save some cash too) after discovering the Sony XB series which was something I never had imagined. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for only bass but I thought the XB did great versus M50 and DT770 even when bass is put aside, especially the mids suprised me positively, headphones at this price point usually have recessed mids but I think they are very well present on XB500 and XB700, so much that I've started to lower the bass a little than what I used before I got the XBs as the mids especially sounds so full and natural which all my previous headphones lacked a bit with (M50's mids were good tho but I didn't like the highs of it).

If you thought D2000 lacked that "thump" in the bass then XB700 might not be for you either as they both have similar type of bass, soft & rumbling deep bass. XB500 goth both soft & deep rumbling bass + punchy upper bass. If you also thought the highs of the M50 could be a bit more rolled over it sounds like you'd like a smoother/dark sounding headphone like XB500 more as the M50 and XB700 have fairly same sounding highs (in my ears XB700 highs were somewhat more tolerable but they stand out a bit too much for my liking), so I'd suggest as a compliment to your "subwoofer bass-needs" pick up a cheap XB500. XB500 won't even need to be amped and if you'd amp it be sure to use the lowest gain possible cuz these are extremely sensitive.

EDIT: Don't think DT770 either would really fit what you're looking for, the highs are fairly bright on DT770 and mids are somewhat recessed and the bass is mostly boomy and lacks the midbass hump somewhat.

Thanks for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif
But, I grabbed a XB700 on FS forum before I read your post. I hope it'll sound good. If I like it, I will definitely consider getting a XB500 soon. I guess my purchases are getting out of hand though. I was happy with PX100 and vmoda bass freq for a longtime before I came to know this forum. Now, I've spent ~$700 on various purchases in the last month or so. That might be a small amount for some, but for a grad student it's quite a lot.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Well XB500 and XB700 are quite different headphones so chances are you might like either of them but not both. If you tell what you liked or disliked about the XB700 when you get them it would probably be easier for me to recommend the XB500 or not but it did sound like XB500 had been a better fit from what I gathered from this thread so far.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Try JVC RX700, plenty of subwoofer like bass, not recessed mid (sometimes I prefer RX700's mid than my AD900) and slightly rolled off high (never feel fatiguing for me), and they're pretty cheap too! Just remember to give them plenty of burn-in time (need more than 100 hours).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back