What brand of custom fit in ear monitors fit best?
Jul 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fubsier

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here on Head-Fi. I'm a working musician playing 2-4 gigs a week and i need to buy some custom fit in ear monitors. I run my 5 synths on stage into a mixer and use my in ears to monitor the entire mix. But being able to hear the rest of the band is also important.

I've cycled through Bose, Skull Candy, Sony (all universal fit in ears) and all of them frustrate me.

For me it's about finding the brand of earphones that will fit the best and most comfortably and then choosing which model to buy for sound quality.

I've been having trouble choosing between Ultimate Ears, Westone and Sensephonic.
I'd want something with at least a dual driver....

http://ultimateears.com/products/5-pro
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-es2-in-ear-custom-monitor.html
http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_3max_ear.html

Can anyone help point me in a well advised direction?

Thanks -

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 14
Get the JH5 Pro. Made by the same (original) people as the UE 5 Pro, except with higher quality parts. Between both quality and customer service, JH Audio is your place.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 14
yea if you want to hear the other band members you'll want some kind of vent, e-mail the vendors directly, I hear they're pretty helpful.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 14
JH Audio is extremely helpful from first hand experience. Jerry was willing to meet with me personally (as I couldn't make it to LA) while he was in town just to demo the JH5.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Sensaphonics (in full silicone) followed by Westone. You'll have to be more careful with Sensaphonics than the Westone though, since the Westone just has heat-sensitive tips and isn't all silicone. They are more comfortable than JHA pieces.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Sensaphonics (in full silicone) followed by Westone. You'll have to be more careful with Sensaphonics than the Westone though, since the Westone just has heat-sensitive tips and isn't all silicone. They are more comfortable than JHA pieces.

The Westone's are more comfortable than JHA pieces? 

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 14
ACS (my present monitors), then probably Earsonics, and Fitear.

ACS for the silicon fit and the splendid sound. The others would be my pick, but I haven't heard them. Depending on your budget, you won't have the same choice everywhere. Few brands have more than 1 or 2 models. I guess you should choose first how much you're ready to pay.

Good luck.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 14
The e-mail address is kaysen@fisherhearing.com, they are in Florida by the way, great service and prices are affordable for your first pair, unlike some of the other brands (unless you record company advance pays for it:))
By the way I use mine to play the drums and they are great, although I need the isolation.

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the contact. I live in Australia, is there an email address I can contact Kaysen on?

Cheers

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Has anybody checked out the new drmearz drm-xsp ambient in ear monitors. http://drmearz.com/custom-fitted-in-ear-monitors-products-order-online.php  any reviews? I haven't been able to find any yet. sounds like a good idea, but I would like to hear from someone who has them already. Murdock the Drummer 

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 14
I would be remiss if I didn't HEAVILY recommend Sensaphonics. The soft-gel silicone earpieces forms a more persistent seal, and is miles more comforable than any hard acrylic shell. You'll get superior isolation, exceptional sound quality, great customer service. They also have an audiologist and a sound engineer on staff for free consultation.

You've been playing with consumer audio, Fubsier. Pro audio gear makes a huge difference.

BTW, whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you do NOT buy vented earpieces. The entire concept of IEMs on stage is based on isolation and control. Punching holes in the earpieces completely negates that benefit. For qualified advice on your own situation and how to get the sounds you want into your ear mix, contact Sensaphonics (1-312-432-1714) and ask to speak with the Sound Guy. Or email: soundguy "at" sensaphonics dot com.

Yes, Sensaphonics is a client of mine. But I work with them because they are the best...

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the contact. I live in Australia, is there an email address I can contact Kaysen on?  
Cheers

Welcome to the forums, good to have another Aussie on board!

We have currently sponsored a few bands (funnily enough it's usually the drummer that approaches us) and all have been more than pleased with the comfort and fit of our full acrylic shells.

In our experience, it all comes down to the quality of the ear impression which is why we are really pleased that we have been able to develop good relationships with numerous audiologists throught Vic, SA and WA.  If there's anyway we can help you, drop us a line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back