What book are you reading right now?
Apr 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #961 of 5,354
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Anthony Flew.

I find it very intriguing that the very things that undermined belief in a God now seems to be providing proof of his existence, i.e. Science and Rationality. Might it not have been more reasoned and smarter for people like Flew to have held to the agnostic position rather than the extreme atheistic view? This highlight the fallacy that is created by science and rationality - it makes us feel that based on what we know we can claim absolute views on truth. Somehow I think Popper's Black Swan problem is relevent here.

I wholeheartedly agree, too many, on both sides, express themselves in absolutes and certainties.
I do understand it correctly when I take it that your mention of Poppers black swan is referring to the problem of claiming that all swans are white, there might exist a black one, we just haven't seen it (yet)?

Just finished 'his masters voice'. I think I have to re-read it on another occasion, it was pretty dense.

Now reading William S Burroughs' Naked Lunch.
Easily the craziest book I've ever read. All all the detailed sex descriptions (mainly gay), drug stuff, delirious non-linear narrative, all sorts of 'obscenities' and strange language makes it difficult to read more than a couple of pages without a little break. Chapters like 'hassans rumpus room' are good indicators, with words like 'ejaculate', 'circumcised' and 'rectum' being particularly prevalent.
Highly recommended, for the not–so–faint-hearted.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #962 of 5,354
I just bought "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer from Amazon UK. I hope it'll get here fast
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #966 of 5,354
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry

About WW1, written recently but with high detail on the pointlessness and suffering of the war.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #968 of 5,354
Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, An American Town by Warren St. John
It's sort of sports anthropology, about a boys' soccer team in Clarkston, Georgia made up of a resettled refugee kids from countries like Liberia, Afghanistan, the Congo and Bosnia. An excellent look at small-town America in transition…the woman who coaches the boys is from Jordan.

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #969 of 5,354
I am multitasking between Andrea Camilleri "The Age of Doubt" (my translation of the title)
copj13.asp

and Murakami Haruki "after the quake"
417YH74830L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Two good books by two excellent writers with a light touch and something interesting to say...

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #972 of 5,354
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle - Avi

It's really good for a homework novel!

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #975 of 5,354
Well, having finished the last two novels required by my literature classes, I have begun delving into the stack of books I've had waiting for a long time.

Rober Nozick's "Philosophical Explanations"
Vladimir Nabokov's "Mary"
and Ivan Turgenev's "Father's and Sons"

And yes, I read more than one book at a time, wanna fight about it?

smily_headphones1.gif

On a separate note, Classical music is great to read philosophy to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back