What book are you reading right now?
Apr 7, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #947 of 5,358
SwannsWay.jpg

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #950 of 5,358
It was dirt cheap, I'm a huge, huge fan - on top of my list its Hitman (IO Interactive) VS doctor Sennheiser (Sennheiser) both for games and work
wink.gif

At a job fair I talked with a guy doing PS3 gaming programming and its not he worlds greatest thing so I'm glad I did the audio stuff
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #951 of 5,358
Chronicles of the Black Company (omnibus edition) by Glen Cook. Pretty good epic fantasy. I am enjoying it almost as much as Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy which mined a similar vein.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #954 of 5,358
There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Anthony Flew.

I find it very intriguing that the very things that undermined belief in a God now seems to be providing proof of his existence, i.e. Science and Rationality. Might it not have been more reasoned and smarter for people like Flew to have held to the agnostic position rather than the extreme atheistic view? This highlight the fallacy that is created by science and rationality - it makes us feel that based on what we know we can claim absolute views on truth. Somehow I think Popper's Black Swan problem is relevent here.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #958 of 5,358
Tom Clancy's Sum of All Fears after a brief pleasure-reading hiatus. School is too much work!

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #959 of 5,358
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There Is A God: How The World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Anthony Flew.

I find it very intriguing that the very things that undermined belief in a God now seems to be providing proof of his existence, i.e. Science and Rationality. Might it not have been more reasoned and smarter for people like Flew to have held to the agnostic position rather than the extreme atheistic view? This highlight the fallacy that is created by science and rationality - it makes us feel that based on what we know we can claim absolute views on truth. Somehow I think Popper's Black Swan problem is relevent here.

It has been argued that with more people moving away from religion in recent years we are creating the perfect conditions for secularization to occur. This is also likely to lead to increased membership in cults. It will be interesting to see if these theories about the future of religions will be correct, or not!
@ the Dutchess of York, I quite enjoy Christopher Moore, and Fluke is a good one. Have you read Lamb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back