What book are you reading right now?
Sep 26, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #4,396 of 5,345

A Scanner Darkly by the late, great Philip K. Dick

PKD is my favorite author , he was such a burning mind , a genius in every sense of the word (and then some)

you should definitely read these by him , amazing books all of them

i have read around 15 of his , but my top-5 is the one i will write below

VALIS
The 3 stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
The man in the high castle 
UBIK

Do androids dream of electric sheep ?

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4,398 of 5,345
  Read 'em all my man. I also have a biography call Divine Invasion: A Life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sultin. It's not easy to find.

if you also have this bio , you know your pkd **** , indeed 
tongue.gif

great biography , almost reads like a good pkd book

guy was such a ******* genius, huh ?

cheers

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,399 of 5,345

if you also have this bio , you know your pkd **** , indeed 
tongue.gif

great biography , almost reads like a good pkd book

guy was such a ******* genius, huh ?

cheers

Years ago, I picked up this book - http://www.fairwoodpress.com/catalog/item/7652151/10207631.htm - at a second-hand shop. A peculiar premise, but one with PKD as a ghostly character trying to rewrite an alternative history.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,400 of 5,345
  Years ago, I picked up this book - http://www.fairwoodpress.com/catalog/item/7652151/10207631.htm - at a second-hand shop. A peculiar premise, but one with PKD as a ghostly character trying to rewrite an alternative history.

1 - nice to see PKD fans here , the guy is such a joy to read to (plus he puts your mind into such a nice thinking overdrive 
tongue.gif
 )

2 - never heard of it , is it good ? how did you find it @PalJoey ?

3 - since we are on the PKD love here , i really enjoy this (supposed to be) trilogy of his 

valis / divine invasion / transmigration of timothy archer

VALIS is my fav pkd book , but the other 2 are not bad at all 

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,401 of 5,345
  2 - never heard of it , is it good ? how did you find it @PalJoey ?

There was a shop with a box of really cheap books outside, as well as the more collectible stock inside. I always had a browse through the cheap stuff because, even if you ended up with a stinker, you hadn't wasted more than about 20 to 30 pence.

I got some lousy stuff and some okay stuff. The two real lucky buys - ones that I've kept over the years - are the one mentioned and The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers; a rattling good historical time-travel tale that is well worth seeking out.

Philip K.Dick is dead, alas is a tale of a future world where the USA won in Vietnam and Nixon is in his 4th term with no effective opposition and a (mostly) willingly subservient populace. The ghost of PKD attempts to set things right, by influencing various characters whose lives end up intersecting.

It's pretty good overall, and obviously written with great affection for PKD. The link I posted above has some reviews, and you can get it on Kindle.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #4,402 of 5,345
  There was a shop with a box of really cheap books outside, as well as the more collectible stock inside. I always had a browse through the cheap stuff because, even if you ended up with a stinker, you hadn't wasted more than about 20 to 30 pence.

I got some lousy stuff and some okay stuff. The two real lucky buys - ones that I've kept over the years - are the one mentioned and The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers; a rattling good historical time-travel tale that is well worth seeking out.

Philip K.Dick is dead, alas is a tale of a future world where the USA won in Vietnam and Nixon is in his 4th term with no effective opposition and a (mostly) willingly subservient populace. The ghost of PKD attempts to set things right, by influencing various characters whose lives end up intersecting.

It's pretty good overall, and obviously written with great affection for PKD. The link I posted above has some reviews, and you can get it on Kindle.

i put it on my amazon wish list , looks interesting

thanx for the proposal

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #4,404 of 5,345

He's back!!!!!!!  Hope we don't have to wait so long for the next Myron Bolitar novel  This is one of the best.

Agreed................an excellent book.  Read it in two nights.  Only wish guys like Harlan would put out more books! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back