What began your spending spree?
Oct 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 67
In 1975, my Dad bought a Fisher tuner and some Koss headphones, which I loved. (I am resisting the mild urge to find another set like them.) I learned then that I like headphones and that I like good sound.

Time passes, and I found myself looking for headphones... and I wound up here. I bought a very modest Sennheiser HD555, some Etymotic er4's, then the Beyerdynamic DT990's and the Headroom Millet Hybrid... and now I'm admiring all the shiiny Stax headphones...

I'm moving slowly, but on a long journey, I suspect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 67
The foam in my earpads on my MB Quart 55X were flat....

My family were already into hi-fi and after the first big purchase, suddenly $1k for something seems like a bargain...oops!

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 67
Just wanted to find the best gaming headphone....... Is that too much to ask for? Now I am hooked.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #19 of 67
Always loved stereo stuff. Now that I am a little older I find that headphones are a great way to slip into my private world and listen to music, like I used to as a teenager, but at a higher level of quality and realism.
My poor wallet indeed.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 67
New computer was the match, then the fire started when I went from the cheap amp and ultrasone hfi-650s to and xcan and HD650s, that is when it reeeaallly started goin'.-see sig.

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #22 of 67
My wife gave me an Ipod Touch for Christmas last year and then the fun began... I'm thinking she wishes she got me something else at times :)

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I began small, some Yuin PK3's. Then my Icemat Siberias broke and I asked for some advice about the Audio Technica AD500. I eventually got the Audio Technica AD700, which I still have as they are the best bang-for-buck FPS gaming headphone on the market, and well, look at me now lol! (see profile).

Already checked that out, i was curious about others from NZ for some reason or another :p

Theres seems to be something about Sennheiser HD555s though, i myself started on them
redface.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #25 of 67
Hahaa!

I never really thought about this myself
smily_headphones1.gif
Interesting stories..

I guess it was when I got the sr325i's and they sounded completely horrible out of my EMU 0202usb -soundcard. Completely opposite than what I'd heard at a shop selling them..

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #26 of 67
Had an iTouch and iBuds with them.
Kept them as long as possible, but when they broke, I decided to get some really good and expensive headphones. Bose On-Ear. I didn't do any research and after weeks of consideration, I had figured that they are not the thing I wanted. Afterwards I went to buy some AKG K450s and it all got out of hand....
But initially, it all started for a quest for more "natural" sound and now it turned into a quest for "the most emotional/involving" sound.
So I have to admit, it all started off with a pair of Bose HP..

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... found this place, bought HD555's then kept reading...

You have nailed it. Head-fi is solely responsible.
But yeah, it started with AKG K340...

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 67
For me, it struck me about a 2 years ago that I needed to use headphones if I wanted to enjoy my music at home without disturbing the rest of the family. I started with the Sony MDR 7506 and from there the curiosity started. I've not looked back since. I can recall thinking the Sony's were an expensive jump for Headphones. And to think that I'm now considering either the Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic T1 as my next acquisition!!

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just hit send on pay-pal I'll let ya'll know what I get.

This was what started my spending spree. I ended up getting a vintage (pink driver) pair of grado 60's. love them.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, i'm just curious, how did everyone here start your spending spree on headphones & other related gear?

I was kinda never satisfied with my audio quality from anything, then i went to go look for reviews of headphones in a certain price range, found this place, bought HD555's then kept reading...

I too started with the HD555s..got into classical music and wanted something better than the iPod earbuds
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back