What began your spending spree?
Nov 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 67
After breaking 7 "gaming" headsets in a year due to terrible build quality, I bought a pair of A700s. After that it just kept moving up, and now I'm preparing to drop another $900 on an amp/DAC.

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #62 of 67
I've always been someone who listens to music at every possible opportunity, and before I knew better I had some Bose TriPorts because I knew I wanted good sound (I just didn't know where to find it).

They broke, I was broke, so I started looking around to see what I could get that would give me good sound for cheap -- came to head-fi, looked around, and finally settled on some ATH-ES7s.

Loved them, felt they sounded better than my Bose for significantly less, enjoyed them for a few months but recently they were stolen.

Returned to head-fi, decided on the Denon D2000s, bought them from HeadRoom's B-stock for $209 along with a NuForce Icon mobile. Very reasonable total bill, was very happy with it.

Got another paycheck, couldn't resist the lure of finding out what they'd sound like with a dedicated amp and DAC, so I went for the HR Micro stack, and was blown away.

Another paycheck, another upgrade. The Micro stack expanded the detail and soundstage so much that it felt almost natural, or real/convincing, I guess you could say. But for most music, it was just on the cusp -- it was sort of more noticeably veiled than it had been without an amp, because it felt so much closer to high-end.

So, naturally, I had to get the Ultra Micro stack. So here I am, $1,500 later, and trying to figure out if I should get some HD650s or maybe save up for some D7000s.

Thanks a lot, head-fi. :p

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been someone who listens to music at every possible opportunity, and before I knew better I had some Bose TriPorts because I knew I wanted good sound (I just didn't know where to find it).

They broke, I was broke, so I started looking around to see what I could get that would give me good sound for cheap -- came to head-fi, looked around, and finally settled on some ATH-ES7s.

Loved them, felt they sounded better than my Bose for significantly less, enjoyed them for a few months but recently they were stolen.

Returned to head-fi, decided on the Denon D2000s, bought them from HeadRoom's B-stock for $209 along with a NuForce Icon mobile. Very reasonable total bill, was very happy with it.

Got another paycheck, couldn't resist the lure of finding out what they'd sound like with a dedicated amp and DAC, so I went for the HR Micro stack, and was blown away.

Another paycheck, another upgrade. The Micro stack expanded the detail and soundstage so much that it felt almost natural, or real/convincing, I guess you could say. But for most music, it was just on the cusp -- it was sort of more noticeably veiled than it had been without an amp, because it felt so much closer to high-end.

So, naturally, I had to get the Ultra Micro stack. So here I am, $1,500 later, and trying to figure out if I should get some HD650s or maybe save up for some D7000s.

Thanks a lot, head-fi. :p

Might as well get both. You know ultimately you will anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif
And as Head-fi's motto goes, "Sorry about your wallet."
atsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #64 of 67
I just want better sounding music. I bought some headphones then decided that I need an amp then wanted a LOD for it. Now I'm getting new headphones to use with the same stuff and thinking of getting another pair (probably Grados) and a new amp to go with those.

Basically I just want my stuff to keep sounding better.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might as well get both. You know ultimately you will anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif
And as Head-fi's motto goes, "Sorry about your wallet."
atsmile.gif

Yup. I think, what with the holidays coming up, I'll grab a pair of HD 650s for now and try to hold off from entering the $1000 headphone market for a little while longer. I know I'll cave eventually, but at least I can pretend to have some sense for a little while longer.
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #66 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. I think, what with the holidays coming up, I'll grab a pair of HD 650s for now and try to hold off from entering the $1000 headphone market for a little while longer. I know I'll cave eventually, but at least I can pretend to have some sense for a little while longer.
tongue.gif

Pacing yourself, huh? haha Yeah. You can't have too much excitement all at once. Slowly and surely.
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #67 of 67
I bought a new Arcam amp and CD player and the amp has a stupid recessed headphone socket and the jack on my headphones was too wide to fit in the recess so I needed a headphone amp. Then I needed better headphones, then a better amp and so on...

And the irony is that my current headphones now fit - but the Arcam 'phones out sounds dreadful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back