What began your spending spree?
Oct 19, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #46 of 67
I wanted to be different from the mainstream guys in class with their QC3's.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to be different from the mainstream guys in class with their QC3's.

Walk into class with the K-1000s on your head!
k1000smile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 67
Started with a set of Bose Triports, my first non-earbud headphone. After enjoying them for a couple of years, I learned how over-hyped they are. Stuck with them though, for some reason. Five years later and they finally broke. Now I'm here trying to do it right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #49 of 67
My earphones broke and I was going to get Denon C551s.
I read comparisons and kept thinking, what if I'm missing out because they're bad in some way? Ended up with Shure SE530s with a PTH module.
I was afraid of loud volumes and didn't turn them up (hear any quality) because I didn't understand the discomfort was previously caused by rubbish sound.
Bought an iBasso P3+ for some full-size cans but got IE8s as a stepping stone to decipher my musical tastes etc. before I got full-size cans.
I am currently selling my P3+ as unnecessary portability is a silly sacrifice.
I just ordered a balanced cable and a Little Dot MK VII.
I don't think I can afford to get anything new for a while now, and yet I'm going to the meet in november :O

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #51 of 67
After getting and sick and tired of using 20 dollar headphones and buds, I bought the HD-555's through a recommendation of an audiophile friend. I started talking to him more and more to share thoughts on the new set of cans. Started getting ideas put in my head(brainwashed
tongue.gif
). Outgrew the HD-555's. Bought HD-650's, dac amp to drive them... and here I am looking for my next set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #53 of 67
I started from computer speakers, with my first good speaker set being the 2.1 Cambridge Soundworks. A decade later and they still sound better than most of the computer speakers in that price range. From there I mostly fiddled with computer audio for a while, though nothing too serious. A couple years ago I started dj'ing, and my interest shifted to PAs/loudspeakers and external sound cards. Just recently I splurged on some grado 80s and am now juicing for more.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 67
I started making more money.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #56 of 67
>got a computer and knew that I needed a sound card with it. got audigy 2 zs notebook [already had a pretty good set of speakers]

>bought more music

>...2 years later... bought logitech z-5500 speakers [was amazed]

>bought more music

>got ipod and used ibuds(several years)

>fell more in love with music the more it was around me

>looked for better headphones

>friend showed me head-fi.com and good headphones(he owned HD595s), even though i thought they sounded good. i didnt really take notice

>...one year later... bought bose inear headphones on a whim [i was impressed, although always used bass reducer equalizer setting]

>...one year later... remembered head-fi while googling good headphones and seeing the search results

>bought the er-4p using a $100 amazon gift certificate that my bank sent me. so i paid $80 [was really truly amazed] (and p->s converter)

>started reading on head-fi.com...a lot....

>found out that they sound even better when amped.

>hear this stuff about dacs

>find out about this new thing that head-fi people helped design, the audio-gd compass. and find out that its pretty damn good.

>buy the compass [amazed some more]

>buy the HF-2 [amazed more]

>pray that i find a job right when i get out of school...

and before you ask. yes i really was amazed that many times.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started making more money.

What is this money that you speak of, and how do I go about acquiring some?

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #60 of 67
1. decided to get an IEM better than EP630
2. got extremely disappointed with SHE9850, searched further
3. settled with Atrios for a while, before deciding to get a headphone better than HD485
4. settled with D2000 for a while, before deciding to get an IEM "different" from Atrios
5. .....
6. .....
7. settled with D7000, while deciding to get something better than TF10pro.

Curiosity + upgraditis killed the wallet. All within a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back