What began your spending spree?
Oct 17, 2009 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Ninkul

500+ Head-Fier
Well, i'm just curious, how did everyone here start your spending spree on headphones & other related gear?

I was kinda never satisfied with my audio quality from anything, then i went to go look for reviews of headphones in a certain price range, found this place, bought HD555's then kept reading...

Still, not quite content with audio... i decided i'd try get the most of my headphones.

Step 1: "If i get this, i might as well upgrade my headphones."
Step 2: "I hear these headphones really need a better amp or source than this to get the most of them."
Step 3: repeat Steps 1 -> 2 until "enough" money has been spent/100% happy with your system

k701smile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 67
I think it was the K-1000. I had been wanting one, then AKG discontinued it, so I managed to slip away with the very last new pair HeadRoom had.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was a big chunk of money at first, but it also somehow rationalized the rest of the spending.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 67
I got tired of my junky speakers and I didn't have room for my 5.1 system so i got a pair of senn hd212s then the cable broke and I got the senn hd 280s, Now i'm experimenting with brands.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 67
My rubbish headphones broke, so I was doomed to one of those old soundstation things meant for playstations.
Finally gathered up enough money for some HD555s after a recommendation from a friend.
Bought the STX to get rid of my onboard sound.
Bought 650s after many months of reading.
Next will most likely be some desktop stuff or a pair of Grados.
MAN I HATE THIS WEBSITE.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 67
A friend actually gave me a pair of $2500 speakers (Soliloquy's) 10 years ago and that got me hooked on good sound. But then I had to have a better amplifier, CD player etc to go with them. For me, it was kind of like how a drug dealer gives you the first dose for free because then you are hooked anyways.

It was trying to get more sound quality for less money that got me interested in headphones. I find it does simplify things a lot to take the room acoustics out of the equation, not to mention that my wife does not like the same music as I do.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 67
Same for me,,,Spend £3,000 on main system,and her indoors wants to listen to X factor. Headphones the only way out. Didn't think it would be quite as expensive though.
smily_headphones1.gif
Still both of us happy now!!!

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 67
It all started with the Stax SR-007BL back in mid-2006.
Since I did not have a suitable listening room for speakers I decided to switch to headphones. Remembering auditioning a pair of Stax Lambda some 10 years earlier I found the choice to be really simple - it had to be Stax.

...and here I am.
k1000smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 67
I began small, some Yuin PK3's. Then my Icemat Siberias broke and I asked for some advice about the Audio Technica AD500. I eventually got the Audio Technica AD700, which I still have as they are the best bang-for-buck FPS gaming headphone on the market, and well, look at me now lol! (see profile).

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 67
Robb Report magazine started running a series of "reviews" on headphones and the HD800 they featured in one issue grabbed my attention. This drew my attention back to high-end headphones and one thing lead to another and a new obsession started. The last time I got into headphones, the HD600 was the best available dynamic and wasn't good enough for my tastes and the STAX systems weren't quite there either. The Orpheus got my attention at the time but I wasn't willing to spend the money as I had no reason to listen on cans. That has now all changed and I have 3 STAX systems, a Baby O, and working on a Big O. It is a disease!
o2smile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 67
This was the only way I could stand living in an apartment. Watching T.V. is no big deal with speakers but when I listen to music/play videogames/watch movies, I could never enjoy them the way I wanted to.

I started researching headphones and came to the Denon line. Long story short, my budget went from ~$800 for the entire setup... to $3800 well spent!
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 67
My Journey!

-> My desktop computer soundcard upgrade
-> Started to buy music off iTunes
-> Started to buy expensive Buds
-> Bought the Denon Ah-D100's
-> Amazed by the quality of them and decided to buy CD's and played via PC
-> Joined Head-Fi
-> Found out about amps / Bought them = Real happy
-> Found out about Apple lossless
-> Bought the Ipod Classic 160gb 7G
-> Bought a LOD
-> Bought the Akg k701's
-------------------------> Saving up for a great amp now.

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 67
$80 logitech speakers from some computer store to replace my $5 ten year old half-broken computer speakers. If those $80 speakers didn't suck worse than my old speakers (I didn't give them any burn-in time though) I wouldn't have learned about sound cards and that was what got me into this mess
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 67
Started with a pair of Sennheiser HD 570's received from my father upon his passing. Then the reading/research bug set in and before I knew it I (and my wallet) was a member of head-Fi. Sold the HD 570 and got a a pair of HD 580's with the 600 grills and 650 cable. Always wondered about the Grado sound so i picked up a pair of grad SR60's and proceeded through my love for grado until i got the phenomenal HF-2s. Many other cans along the way, still love my ESW10JPNs and am now a Stax convert - it's been quite the ride to date.
o2smile.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 67
Broke my Icemats and needed decided to make music my focus instead of gaming. Pre-ordered the SRH440s but after a day decided to upgrade to the 840s. Decided I needed to upgrade my on board sound card so I purchased a STX. Then I found a good deal on K701s. These sound alright on my STX but the bass is sloppy when I get it to a reasonable level through EQ. So amp hunt began. I ordered a Keces HA-171 but 2 days after I pushed the buy button, a Heed Canamp [only ~13 hours of use] was for sale. That was yesterday.

I think this ends my purchases till Christmas.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 67
I'm pointing my finger initially at the JVC HA-RX700. Now I think it has to do more with my major because I can find lots of interesting stuff that revolves around electrical engineering in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back