What are your best sources for discovering new music?
Jun 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #61 of 83
Friends, Youtube, and This:
http://sendmusic.org/

You create a playlist and share! 

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 83
besides pandora i also listen to grooveshark. i was thinking of paying for pandora one but it sounds good to me and its free
beyersmile.png

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #65 of 83
Lately I'm enjoying http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/ for discovering music.

And by the way: Spotify has landed in the U.S.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #67 of 83
I sometimes cruise Amazon. I'll do a search for something like "Female Jazz Singer" and see what pops up. There are usually clips to listed to and Amazon in its infinite wisdom always suggests "if you like this than you might like that". I've found a few artists, new to me, I really enjoy, like Jamie Paul. I almost always buy used CDs on Amazon. Occasionally I'll Search "Binaural" or "SACD" just to see what's offered.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #68 of 83
anime, doujin, game etc and artist that maybe somehow related to those

btw i wouldn't be here at the first place if i need to wonder what to listen...

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #71 of 83
Just thought I'd bump this thread - and also bump a resource I've been using more and more to discover new artists.

Thanks to Logwed for originally introducing me to it .......

Music-Map

It's a flash based "map" - you input the name of an artist you really like, and the map brings up a list of similar artists.  The closer they appear on the map to your target artist, the more they are considered to be similar.

The good thing about using this resource is:
  • You'll get a chance to do some research on a lot of bands/artists you'll never have heard of before.
  • If you're exploring a new genre, and only have one band/artist that you know, you can soon discover other similar artists (helps make exploring a lot easier)
  • If you just want some fun - input the name of a popular band, and see how diverse you can get within a couple of clicks

I usually use it with the map open on one tab - then youtube / bandcamp or another resource to actually listen to examples in another.

For those who don't know about it, or haven't tried it - I hope this helps.  In the last couple of months alone, I've easily discovered 20 or so new artists that I knew nothing about, and of the new discoveries have already purchased a couple of dozen new albums.

Enjoy.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #72 of 83
Just thought I'd bump this thread - and also bump a resource I've been using more and more to discover new artists.

Thanks to Logwed for originally introducing me to it .......

Music-Map

It's a flash based "map" - you input the name of an artist you really like, and the map brings up a list of similar artists.  The closer they appear on the map to your target artist, the more they are considered to be similar.

The good thing about using this resource is:
  • You'll get a chance to do some research on a lot of bands/artists you'll never have heard of before.
  • If you're exploring a new genre, and only have one band/artist that you know, you can soon discover other similar artists (helps make exploring a lot easier)
  • If you just want some fun - input the name of a popular band, and see how diverse you can get within a couple of clicks

I usually use it with the map open on one tab - then youtube / bandcamp or another resource to actually listen to examples in another.

For those who don't know about it, or haven't tried it - I hope this helps.  In the last couple of months alone, I've easily discovered 20 or so new artists that I knew nothing about, and of the new discoveries have already purchased a couple of dozen new albums.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the head's up. That made me think of a tool I'd like to have. Input a specific genre and it "maps" out suggestions. Not just a general genre like, say, jazz. But more specific like modal jazz. So instead of getting a huge list I'd get suggestions that are centered on what I'm actually looking for. Another example would be underground rap. This way someone. Wouldn't have to fish through artists like lil Wayne.

Also, I'd want it to list specific albums. Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong went through different stages in their respective careers and it would be terrific if one could have a tool that tells you which albums from those musicians have what you're looking for. Does that seem too unreasonable? :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #73 of 83

Quote:
Thanks for the head's up. That made me think of a tool I'd like to have. Input a specific genre and it "maps" out suggestions. Not just a general genre like, say, jazz. But more specific like modal jazz. So instead of getting a huge list I'd get suggestions that are centered on what I'm actually looking for. Another example would be underground rap. This way someone. Wouldn't have to fish through artists like lil Wayne.
Also, I'd want it to list specific albums. Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong went through different stages in their respective careers and it would be terrific if one could have a tool that tells you which albums from those musicians have what you're looking for. Does that seem too unreasonable?
smily_headphones1.gif

No - that would actually be an awesome tool.  If you ever find it - give me a shout !

Music-map has been really good.  Going through a Joe Bonamassa period at the moment - so looked him up in music-map a couple of days ago and discovered Colin James.  Wonderful blues with a real jazzy undertone - am sure he'll lead me somewhere else in a few more weeks 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #74 of 83
Great thread.  My favorite sources are friends, NPR's all music considered podcast, as has been mentioned before.  KEXP in Seattle has great podcasts, I particularly like the Music That Matters podcast for consistently good music, and the most popular album listings on their website and that of KALX, my alma matter's radio station which has a few DJ's with great knowledge & taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back