What are your best sources for discovering new music?
Apr 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #31 of 83

Quote:
Yes, NPR is a great source! I've picked up quite a few CDs after hearing artists profiled there.

I also find a lot of very good recommendations here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep. And it even let us Europeans listen to them.
Which isn't the case with MOG and some others.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #32 of 83

double post, sorry....

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #33 of 83
NPR is a GREAT source for listening to new music. Just love some of their weekend music programs.

Quote:
MOG is great.  The 320 kbps mp3 streams sound very nice at home on my PC>USB>NuForce Icon HDP Amp/DAC>Denon HD5000s and at work over WiFi or 4G (Wimax) with an Android HTC EVO>Analog output>HeadRoom Micro Amp>Audio-Technica ATH-50 setup.

With MOG, I can save any album or individual song to a "Favorites" list, and this list can be accessed and updated from any computer or device that can get to MOG's service.  Any updates I make at home on my PC show up on my HTC EVO phone or my iPad, and I can add songs on my phone that will appear when I log into MOG on my PC.  This synchronization is important to me. 

The Android app I use with my phone is far superior in functionality to the browser-based internet GUI for listening to my saved "Favorites".  The Android app will randomly pick 250 songs from my "Favorites" list, and it will cycle through all of them and add newer songs while removing recently played songs from the list that it generates.  It seems very effective, and it does a great job of letting me hear all of my music now that I have built-up quite an extensive list of songs in my library.  The PC version does not have a similar option available, and I have to manually put each song into the player if I only want to hear my "Favorites".

For music discovery, the radio is really neat with MOG, as it has a slider that you can adjust from "Aritist Only", which will only play songs from the same artist you have selected, to multiple settings in between that vary the number of similar sounding artists.  So it acts a bit like Pandora, although it uses genres, and not Pandora's algorithm for matching acoustical characteristics, but it generally works very well.  Even at the maximum "similar artist" setting, there does not seem to be enough variation when compared to the radio from my Rhapsody music service.  It is still the best way that I have found to discover new music, and I can play an awesome find over and over again if I like, plus I can go play an album or the entire discography from a newly discovered artist.  Any keepers can be saved to my "Favorites" in mid-play, so that I can listen to it later on any number of my MOG-enabled devices. (Roku media player, PC, netbook, iPad, phone, etc.)

While I have not had a reason to do so, there is an option to download tracks to an Android phone or iPhone when connected to WiFi, so that you can play back high quality songs when you are not online or in an area that you could stream the music.  These downloaded tracks have DRM that locks the songs if your subscription is cancelled or you do not connect the device to MOG's service before your scheduled subscription renewal date expires.

It's not the only thing I use for my music fix, but I use it more than anything else because the sound quality is great and it is easy to access my music.

Couldn't have said this better

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #35 of 83
If you can't access Spotify then Grooveshark is another good site.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #36 of 83
I already have accounts in Pandora, Last.fm and MOG.  The only one I've really been using lately is MOG because I can listen to an entire album.  I've never had much of a problem finding new to me music.  What I don't know is whether or not I'll like something and 30 second samples aren't always great for determining that.  I've already bought 10 or so CDs over the last 2 months because I was able to check them out on MOG and decided I liked them.  I've also avoided buying 20 or so CDs for the same reason.

May 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #37 of 83
arfm.co.uk (online rock station which plays a good selection of prog/aor and a sprinkling of other stuff), live365 stuff mainly progrockradio.co.uk and prog.fm.  Then there's the now occasionally updated rogues gallery podcast over at weedstash.com.

May 8, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #40 of 83
Quote:
Mog looks interesting. I just signed up for their trial.

So is it just me of does anyone notice that Mog streams just about as well as the Colorado river right about here.

I can barely listen to a whole album without it stuttering or trying to "auto-recover" and failing for several minutes.  Pandora does that to me like maybe once a month instead of once an hour.  It doesn't load the next track in the background like Pandora does either so you've got to wait several seconds between each one which is rather lame as well.  It doesn't seem to have as much music as Pandora either.  I don't know about absolute numbers, but they don't have the selection of European death/black metal that Pandora does and they don't do any better than Pandora's selection (ie almost none) of Jpop so it doesn't fit my tastes at all even if it might have more in other areas.

I suppose its better if you always listen to full albums, but random play usually gets most of my listening time anyway so there's no reason for me to continue with Mog.

May 8, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #41 of 83
/mu/, pandora radio, and everywhere in between. Look hard for artists and you will find them. For example, I found this good artist called Guy Garcon on Tumblr, of all places. Turns out, he's really underrated and broke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th607EPOXqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7_jSjmAl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrb7uc359HU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j0p3WKPiXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr37OQ7qOY8

May 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #42 of 83

Quote:
So is it just me of does anyone notice that Mog streams just about as well as the Colorado river right about here.

I can barely listen to a whole album without it stuttering or trying to "auto-recover" and failing for several minutes.  Pandora does that to me like maybe once a month instead of once an hour.  It doesn't load the next track in the background like Pandora does either so you've got to wait several seconds between each one which is rather lame as well.  It doesn't seem to have as much music as Pandora either.  I don't know about absolute numbers, but they don't have the selection of European death/black metal that Pandora does and they don't do any better than Pandora's selection (ie almost none) of Jpop so it doesn't fit my tastes at all even if it might have more in other areas.

I suppose its better if you always listen to full albums, but random play usually gets most of my listening time anyway so there's no reason for me to continue with Mog.

I've noticed that too, but I do listen to whole albums, so I just download them.  I really don't use it to discover music, but to listen to an album I've discovered elsewhere to determine if it's something I like enough to buy.  It's stopped me from buying quite a few albums and prompted me to buy a few.

May 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #43 of 83
I have not had any problems using Sprint 4G or my home internet connection to continuously stream MOG for several hours at a time. Unless there is some kind of recent problem with the service, the support forums do not indicate that there is a widespread problem.

Pandora has about 800,000 songs available compared to MOG's 11,000,000 choices.

That said, I still come across songs on Pandora and other streaming radio options that are not available in either MOG's or Rhapsody's library.

May 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #44 of 83
Frank Zappa is an artist who is not in MOG.  Since I own most of his albums, that's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to listen to some of the stuff I don't own. 

I only stream over wifi so I don't use up my monthly bandwidth allowance.   That could be the difference.

May 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #45 of 83
I'm talking about just on PCs from the "business class" cable internet connections I have at both work and at home.

I hate smart phones.  I still use a 1st gen RAZR because I've yet to see a better form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back