What are your best sources for discovering new music?
Oct 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #76 of 83
Game/movies soundtracks. 
Youtube also. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #80 of 83
When I research on band, one thing leads to another, and all of the sudden, I have 7 other bands I'm looking into. There's also sometimes one song on a compilation that makes me want to research a band. Also, there's head-fi meets. At my first (and so far only) meet, I wrote down several bands I found very fascinating and eventually ordered music for them.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #81 of 83

Quote:
No - that would actually be an awesome tool.  If you ever find it - give me a shout !

Music-map has been really good.  Going through a Joe Bonamassa period at the moment - so looked him up in music-map a couple of days ago and discovered Colin James.  Wonderful blues with a real jazzy undertone - am sure he'll lead me somewhere else in a few more weeks 
biggrin.gif

I subscribe to Spotify, MOG, and Rhapsody music services.  I use them all in different situations, and I just can't get myself to drop any one of them, yet.  Spotify has a genre search with 944 different choices.  And, no, some of the selections don't always seem to make sense, but it is a useful tool when I get that urge to experiment with new sounds.

You can read more about it at the link below, and from there you can check out the list in the form of a public Google Doc.

http://www.spotify.com/us/blog/archives/2009/03/24/spotify-genres-the-full-listing/

I copied the list into a spreadsheet and use a random number generator to select a genre to test out.  Nothing like a bit of Bhangra to pass the afternoon away, or some Finnish Folk to liven-up your morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back