What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #59,568 of 136,319
How are you liking Evil Friends?

I really like it, it's not my usual genre, but it's really different. I like different. Plus it sounds great coming out of my K550's.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #59,573 of 136,319
One of the few well mastered (still compression in areas but better than most from this genre) Rap/R&B new releases. Surprising, maybe Jay-Z calling for quality from studios or at least pushing the word with his newly bought audiophile music service:

The Album About Nothing by Wale
The_album_about_nothing.jpg

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #59,574 of 136,319

I got the new remastered two disc version today. One disc is a remaster of the original 1/2" analog tapes it was recorded on, the other is the original DAT master. Both sound fantastic.
However the remaster sounds barely any different from the original, I wasn't really expecting that. *But*, it feels different. I can't explain it really, but the remastered copy feels more... Lifelike? The original master is like an in your head experience, while the remaster feels like there's people there that really made this album. Strange. This album though. Wow. I love it so much, don't want to call is flawless, but no other album has successfully been better, much less replicated it well. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #59,576 of 136,319
51uQ-3svboL._SX425_.jpg
81IfO6BczoL._SL1500_.jpg

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #59,577 of 136,319

JJ Cale (RIP) Discovered his music about 3 years ago & bought all of his albums.  Neil Young called him the best guitar player along with Hendrix.  Two totally different styles though.  Cale was laid-back & his playing was minimalist but precise & with finesse.  For those who don't know him he wrote songs made popular by bigger names such as Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beck & others.  Clapton became mellower after meeting and playing with Cale whom he admired greatly.  Cale wrote such hits as "Cocaine", "After midnight", (Clapton) "The Breeze" (Lynyrd Skynyrd) , "Magnolia" (Beck) amongst others. I never get tired of listening to his recordings.

Listening w/HD650, w/DIY single end Mogami Neglex 2534 microphone cable (Japan); Auralic Taurus mk2 w/Teac 2000 SACD/CD player w/balanced connectors.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #59,579 of 136,319
How are you liking Evil Friends?

I really like it, it's not my usual genre, but it's really different. I like different. Plus it sounds great coming out of my K550's.  :D  

Yep, Portugal really has a style of their own, this is their "indiest" album. My favourite has to be "Smile", great closing song.

They are great live, too. It's like a conceptual concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back